1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

[Nov 13, 2011] Open Rideout Sunday 13/11/11 (TN22 1AR, England)

Discussion in 'General Rideouts' started by Roadwart, Oct 25, 2011.

1. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Pleased to say that although I only led the ride to Rye for a short distance, I introduced those following to my favourite - a road with grass growing down the middle. [Hanna - it's OK, this one still had a bit of tarmac either side of the grass].

2. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

That makes a change for once... :lol2:

3. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

I thought that but more like "you chatting my bird up!!!!!!!!!!
    Les, arse of the weekend Hanna or Lammy from yesterday????

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Commuter 500 +

Excellent turnout peeps was good to catch up, hope the lesser powered:vesp: bikes enjoyed things today :thumbsup::thumbsup::secbr:

5. sexyminx

sexyminx British Superbike +

Lovely day out,gorgeous sunshine and the usual crowd and some very nice new faces. Sorry guys for not making it all the way to rye,couldn't stand the pain any longer.xx

6. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Well you married him Lisa ;)

Sporty1200 and Hanna like this.
  7. munkey_b0y

munkey_b0y Guest

Gutted I couldn't make it! Looked like a great day! Cracking weather for it too!

8. Les

Les British Superbike +

No comment, I'm not starting ww3.;)

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Chicken!!! Never stopped you before!!!

10. Les

Les British Superbike +

Ok, H gets my vote but shhh..don't tell eh?

11. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

the more you ride, the more you acclimatise, I ride year all year and Im dressed like the breath of spring except for the coldest of days but you have to have decent gloves and good thermal socks, if your extremities are warm, you find its easier to keep the rest of your body warm. And a scarf! I dont often have one but what a difference it makes on the coldest days. And throw on an extra pair of opaque tights, it helps although some people dont recommend it because if you come off, it could take a layer of skin off.

12. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

If you keep your chest warm the rest will take care of itself as the vital fluids will warm when they get there, of course anything you can do to stop the wind chill (winter gloves etc) will help.
    I only ever owned summer gloves and rode all year round. Did get some thermal socks for xmas one year but they didn't make a lick of difference after a 100miles or so.
    An extra layer on my top and a neck tube was about the limit of my 'winter gear', stop the cold getting in and you stay warm.

And tights are awesome for keeping warm! No idea how a pair of tights would take a layer of skin off more than asphalt traveling at 50mph different to your ass though. Opaque is optional, any will work as it creates a microclimate. It's an old squaddie trick.
    (And some women know about it too I think... :p)

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  13. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

There seem to be two very distinct schools of thought on how to keep warm: one says 'look after the extremities' with gloves, heated grips, maybe a balaclava, extra socks etc; the other says it's more effective to wear a heated waistcoat - and good gloves. I haven't ridden enough to offer my own penn'orth, but I am now very aware that getting cold leads to being too stiff to ride safely -> wobbly moments and potentially :scary::boohoo::red: ...or worse.

I suspect that everyone whose age begins with a number higher than 3 will agree with me!

14. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

My approach is an absolutely windproof outer layer such as thin nylon hiking waterproofs. Biker jackets always seem to have gaps where the wind gets in, so wear them underneath. I hate fleecey things round my neck as they make me itch, but a silk balaclava is excellent. Very thin yet keeps the worst of the wind out, and it's just like wearing a pair of ladies knickers on your head (so I'm told ;)).

If you do wear tights don't wear them on your head as you'll give the cashier a heart attack when you go to pay for the petrol. :eek:

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  15. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Buy the 2 piece base layer set from Lidl's (in stock last week) or something similar from Millets/.Ski Shop. Wear plenty of layers under your bike gear.
    Silk inner gloves, and if you intend to do serious winter riding a heated waistcoat is essential.
    Alternative is use the car. :whistle:

16. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

I've known about the ladies tights thing for years with mates using them, I'd rather freeze me thinks.......
    bugger that and the embarrassment if you have a big off and end up in hospital.........
    As for the knicker thing Jim, I hope they are clean ones......:hgiggle: can you imagine a used gusset on ones head.......with the breeze of the open road forcing the odours up ones nose........:hah: Or it a kink thing????? :eek:

Stockings and suspenders for the spring then?.........:hgiggle:

17. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

No Dave, just you're a kinky sod! :hgiggle: Its all coming out now.........

18. Les

Les British Superbike +

As squaddies we used to raid the local's washing lines before going out on exercise in winter.

19. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

What -for anything lacy?

20. Les

Les British Superbike +

You'd be surprised what we found ourselves with once we got back into the light!;)

deano81, JimG and Roadwart like this.