1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

lol

Discussion in 'Funny page' started by viking killer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. viking killer

viking killer Street Fighter +

2. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Does this term come from the AMA statement some time in the 40s that 99% of bikers are law-abiding citizens and the other 1% are outlaws? It's also a patch isn't it?

3. viking killer

yes mate, thats where it started, not sure it was the 40's though...50's maybe

4. Panel Man

I think the 81s started in San Bernardino in 1948 so it was probably before that.

5. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Good Q Richard :thumbsup:, ive also wondered what it meant but was always to scared to ask :laugh:
    Ian, am i right in thinking their is a 1% 13 badge? If so do you know the significance of the 13? :mdance:

6. viking killer

lol, never be scared to ask Sporty its how we learn. i have seen the badge usually on e bay, 13 signifies marijuana usually but there are a few other explanations to avoid awkward questions, a bit like FTW has a couple of different explanations

Sporty1200 likes this.
  7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Not sure how accurate this is but some info on patch meanings HERE

8. Panel Man

I'd be interested in VK's thoughts on this. It does suggest the origin of the 1% denouncement by the AMA was in the 40s: after a m/c meet in Hollister in 1947 and cites also the #13 link to 'M' being the 13th letter of the alphabet; 'M' = marijuana.

It's very American in style, though. Note the warnings about picking up badges at flea markets or forming a motor cycle club without researching carefully exactly what these labels actually mean - and how hard it is to earn them from legitimate sources. I know bikers should show each other basic respect anyway, but since the 81s are international, I think it would be a very sound idea for us all to learn the basic rules of respect for them. It may not save those of us who look like Power Rangers, but if approached with understanding, perhaps diplomatic tolerance could be prolonged?

VK - can you give us a simple primer on Dos and Don'ts? (Especially if you are a genuine 1%er)!

GuzziRob likes this.
  9. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

In a dim and dark corner of my brainbox, a memory lurks of the 1% meaning that the dude wearing it had topped someone? But hey, that is from way back in time when dinosaurs thought they ruled the earth??? No hang on.....that was Hardley Riders! *jumping on Turmoil and riding like fu***

10. Panel Man

I think that would be a member of the 'Filthy Few'. Also a patch in its own right, I believe. I defer to VK...

11. viking killer

Panel Man, yes you were right about the year the AMA said about 1%er, Kitten_art no the 1% is not that, i think the years have confused the 2 patches in your mind lol, but i'm not going to confirm or deny the meaning of the "filthy few" on an open forum.

as for the do's and dont's there is not much to say really, its just basic every day respect for each other really

12. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

I get confused very easily!
    But be warned, am old skool......and know a thing or ten

viking killer likes this.
  13. viking killer

sounds like we are both the same then :MC:

14. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

What.....you cant count either? *laughing*

BlackHornet likes this.