1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

What have you done to your bike today?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Ducky, Jul 18, 2011.

1. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I need a lie down after reading that!
    Good work Pete:thumbsup:.

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Fitted a Satnav bracket & wired it into the CANbus system so it turns on & off (with a 1 min delay) with the ignition.

IMG-20150504-WA0002.jpg

Next stop, an autocom system once I get the correct power cable.

Panel Man, Carnage and phil read like this.
  3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Not bad Carnage but your garage floor needs a paint :giggle:

Another bike given the Carnage treatment. I will have to post up pictures of the bikes that have the Black hornet treatment once I can sweep all the bits into a pile again :D

deano81, Carnage, Tomasbe and 2 others like this.
  4. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

your absolutley right BH ...the floor is a bit of a battle ...i have the paint but its seems cross matching the time to do it with other commitments and the weather is an impossibility ....and experience has taught me that conditions need to be perfect for at least 3 days to obtain a decent finish that lasts ...things that need to be considered are dry weather for garage contents to be stored outside for a day or 3 .....warm weather for washing, degreasing and prepping the surface and preferably about 48hrs of warm to hot weather for the paint to cure ..you wouldnt believe how the tiniest bit of grease on the floor will lead to a small blister that will run and run and eventually lead to patchy finish and if the weather is even slightly damp or cold the paint can take over a week to cure and i have way too many items that will not tolerate being outside to consider that situation :bhead:.

5. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

interesting.....does the canbus not throw up an error at having an indiscriminate load attached ?

6. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

I use carpet :)

BlackHornet likes this.
  7. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

great for comfort when kneeling and lying on the floor ...however its also extremely good at retaining spilt fluid, dirt and dust when stripping down etc ....been down the carpet route ...currently considering rubber matting.

8. Roadwart

Theres a CANbus GPS connector tucked away just in front of the battery thats designed for the BMW navigator series. As they are just Garmin units with a software change, you can get a connector from BMW with 3 pigtails. You just cut wire 2 short (its a speed pulse wire so not required) & then solder the garmin powered mount directly to pin 1 (earth) & pin 3 (12v).

After a lot of delving into this, it seems some people (in the US) have GPS, Autocom & radar units all running of this same outlet. Provided the total current draw is less than 5amps, the system appears to be perfectly happy.

9. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I've put the Halfords interlocking matting in my garage and it is working a treat on my poor old knees!
    It does "dent" significantly when things like side stands are put on it, but I now take out sections to suite.
    Very easy to do with the interlocking. Easy to keep clean too as I simply lift it all and sweep/wash as necessary.
    Individual tiles can be changed if they get damaged too.

The only issue I've had is buckling due to it being laid in the cold and now expanding with the warmer weather!
    It's very easy to cut though so I just need to trim at the edges somewhere.

I'm gald I did it, and it was very cheap at the time of purchase.

Carnage likes this.
  10. Roadwart

Been a busy boy today. After the success of powering the satnav from the bike, it was time to fit the autocom system.

20150517_112528.jpg
    so I went armed with this

20150517_112605.jpg

& these

20150517_112609.jpg

& set to work

11. Roadwart

First off was panel removal.

20150517_112556.jpg

so after a few mins I had the LH side panel off the bike

20150517_123500.jpg

& the screws neatly stowed away with a reference to where each one goes

20150517_123723.jpg

Although they are all T30 screws, they are different lengths so by pushing them through a bit of old cardboard box, not only do you keep them safe, you can make a note as to which one goes where. I started with the screw that is by my left knee & then worked my way round anti clockwise, labelling each as required.

12. Roadwart

Then it was time to remove the smaller panel that covers the lower part of the fuel tank

20150517_124627.jpg

20150517_124645.jpg

Again, screws stowed & labelled in the same fashion

20150517_124658.jpg

13. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

What a good idea :thumbsup:.

14. Roadwart

Battery cover was next. The mass of wires to the right are for the sat nav system I wired in the other week. The red block is the autocom power supply with battery connections on the right & the red/black cables to the left are power while the single red is a "switch" wire which opens & closes a relay with the ignition switch turning power on & off to the Autocom.

20150517_125701.jpg

The switch wire I soldered into the GPS connector as I know this is switched & the current draw is something like 150 milliamps so would not overload the system, even with the sat nav running.

20150517_132657.jpg

The connection was the heat shrinked to protect from potential shorts & for weatherproofing

20150517_132846.jpg

15. Roadwart

With the battery now connected, the cables were tidied (as best I could) & cabled tied into a bundle & stashed on top of the battery.

20150517_135127.jpg

The battery cover was now replaced.

20150517_135417.jpg

The rest of the power unit was routed under the plastic tank cover, under the riders seat to the pillion seat to the main unit.

20150517_141605.jpg

The green cable is a std phono to phono so I could connect my iPod into the system for initial testing. Before fixing anything down, the seats were installed to check no cables were pinched & them removed again. the riders headset was then connected (out of the helmet) to the riders lead & the bike started to power everything up. I then played music from the iPod & although the autocom was only on half volume, I could hear the music over the bike ticking over quite adequately.

The bike was then run at varying revs while the speakers were pressed up against my ears to check for any potential electrical interference & once happy there was none, all cables secured with cable ties & the main unit velcro`d down under the pillion seat.

16. Roadwart

The bluetooth module (not pictured) was then velcro`d to the main unit & wired into the GPS input.

The 2 side panels were refitted

20150517_151740.jpg

& then the headset connecting cables were run, Pillion one through a handy gap under the seat & fixed under the rear grab rail

20150517_164259.jpg

While rider lead was fed forwards under the small side panel to emerge just behind the main side panel & fixed to part of the frame.

20150517_164306.jpg

Headsets were fitted to the helmets & a static test conducted to check the voice activation levels.

Last thing is a road test but that`s going to have to wait for now.

Panel Man likes this.
  17. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Good post Paul. Have you fitted the secret switch for "accidentally" switching intercom off and switching loud music on ???

lammyR6 likes this.
  18. Roadwart

@megawatt Just remember the 2 rules for a happy life...

Rule 1. NEVER let on everything that you know ;)

19. Dindanio1

Dindanio1 Learner

Cleaned it

BlackHornet, Beelady and lammyR6 like this.
  20. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Took it apart, put it back together and only have a few bits left over so that's a win :thumbsup: