1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

What have you done to your bike today?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Ducky, Jul 18, 2011.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Stripped the race carbs and put em in the ultrasonic tank.

Blade rr6 likes this.
  2. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Today, I learnt how to fill up my Scottoiler, thank you Phil Read. I couldn't get the seat lock undone to do the job but Phil had it sorted in no time. I'm happy now it's working perfectly again :)

3. Beelady

I didn't actually do anything except wash it, but I also took it to Tagg's for a service. I've never had to pay for a service before so I was happy to find it cost a lot less then taking it to Triumph would have done. Jack and Paul have been endlessly helpful since I've had to take my bike to them when John got too poorly to work on it any more and today was no different. I had new brake fluid, although it wasn't a major service as the service history showed that it's been two years since it was last done and a couple of extra adjustments that I asked for as well.
    I enjoyed the ride home in the sunshine, although I had to ride very carefully as I was being followed by my Mother. I didn't want a telling off so I was on my best behaviour. Note to self: Never do that again. It was far too stressful :cautious:

Tomasbe, Eagle, Panel Man and 3 others like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

as @lammyR6 key chain says, drop a gear and disappear :giggle:

5. BlackHornet

new paddock stand bobbins and replaced the marked crash bungs.
    plus tipped over the 1000 mile mark since buying it :D PhotoPictureResizer_180629_133653451-1032x774.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_180629_133720167-1032x774.jpg

lammyR6 and Beelady like this.
  6. Beelady

Yesterday. I wondered how a shed full of tools could become so complicated. I am slowly learning what lives where by trying to do things myself. I found the right Allen key to replace my belly pan. I cleaned it inside, while it was off the bike and managed to get it back on without cross threading or losing anything.
    Then I drilled and fitted my new number plate. A simple job, you might think but not when you want a blunt drill the right size and a rechargeable drill. First finding the drill bit. Amongst what looked like hundreds, all carefully arranged I eventually found the correct size. Then decide which of three rechargeable drills to use. No problem finding battery packs but where on earth has he hidden the chargers? I found one and put it on charge which livened it up enough to drill the two holes in the new plate. I was pleased with the job. No rough edges and I even got it straight. I used the old one as a template, so it wasn't really very difficult.
    And finally I re-set the clock to the right time, which might not sound much unless you know me well, in which case you are now astounded that I have succeeded in doing it and everything else is still working. I was so reluctant to fiddle with it. I was almost convinced that the whole bike might blow up in my face if I touched anything but I was brave and it works properly now, so all is well.
    I think those jobs would have taken most others a few minutes at the most and it took me over three hours if you include finding everything I needed and the time I spent on the 'phone, telling the insurance company about the changes, but I was so pleased with myself.
    I rewarded myself with a quick round trip to Westgate on sea, a place I don't know so I used the sat-nav and even that worked for me! I can't believe everything is working and nothing fell off on the 90 mile round trip. I think I'd better stay indoors for a few days in case I've used up all my adventurous moments for the week already. I could have a read of the big workshop manual. There might be more things I can learn. Oh, and I filtered to the front of a really long queue, waiting for an accident to be cleared and a nice young Fireman winked at me and waved me past. That was the icing on the cake, until I realised he didn't know there was an old person, hiding inside a crash helmet. Pull yourself together Grandma :(

Pilbs, Eagle, Roadwart and 3 others like this.
  7. megawatt

Right, now you've got a taste for it, I'll be rebuilding my GSX1100 engine this weekend and I want my cake!!!

BlackHornet and Beelady like this.
  8. Beelady

I'm not free this weekend, sadly. In laws coming to visit, which is O.K really but not the same as getting out and about.
    How about some time next week? I'll ring you and see if you have a day when I'll be able to bring it round. It's lucky that cake's safe in the freezer, otherwise someone would have had it by now :)

megawatt likes this.
  9. Tomasbe

Tomasbe Custom cruiser +

Took it for a walk, after 11mts sleep.

10. megawatt

Finally got the 1170 race pistons on the crank and the block over the pistons after a false start. Still waiting for HT studs and head gasket.

lammyR6 and Beelady like this.
  11. Orbea

Orbea Off Roader +

Ok. Not today. But ages ago now I changed the old tyres for a pair of Maxxis tyres. The bike actually handles now!
    Last week I took off the original mirrors and mirror extenders (which I needed to see past my elbows!), and put on a pair of bar end mirrors. Not everyone's taste I know, but I love 'em!

Attached Files:

hoppielimp, Beelady, Tony and 5 others like this.
  12. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Replaced this monstrosity of a seat...

old seat.jpg

With this 2 piece seat which not only feels more comfortable but improves the lines of the bike too.

new seat.jpg

Beelady likes this.
  13. Roadwart

As I can't afford the high level brake light just yet, I've installed some 3m reflective tape in the space it should live for the rare after dark rides until I can afford one. Invisible by day but noticable at night.

IMG-20180923-WA0066sm.jpg

IMG-20180923-WA0068sm.jpg

Beelady and megawatt like this.
  14. Orbea

Orbea Off Roader +

I'm really annoyed I missed your post from earlier in the year Beelady! Someone actually came for a ride down to my neck of the woods and I missed it!! Sounds like it was quite a journey for you so I din't suppose you're not likely to do it again any time soon, and I know most people on here don't know me particularly; but if you ever fancy a ride down this way again, anywhere around Thanet, Faversham, Canterbury etc.. Please let me know and it would be great to join in a little!! Thanks!

15. Beelady

Well, you never know. I gave myself a must do list, earlier this year and I'm almost at the end of it, so I will soon be free to find some more adventures. As it happens your area is somewhere I was planning to visit more often as I seem to be collecting a few more friends and relatives who live there, so next time I'm doing more route finding with the trusty sat-nav I may well send you a message. You will know all the bike friendly parking at cafes, so we can always meet up and ride somewhere nice for tea and cakes :)

Orbea likes this.
  16. Orbea

Orbea Off Roader +

Fantastic! I'm thinking Ramsgate or Margate for Cafes would be good. Or Canterbury maybe? At the moment my particular area of expertise is in dog friendly pubs that also do really nice ales; but I'm happy to broaden my research into tea and cakes too! I'm good like that.
    (And of course the talk of going for a ride anywhere down here goes for anyone else on here too!!).
    Thanks for replying. All the best.

17. Beelady

My only stipulation is bike friendly parking. No gravel or steep slopes, otherwise you will find yourself pushing my bike around for me, as others have discovered already. :( :)

Orbea and BlackHornet like this.
  18. Roadwart

Autocom wired into the bike tonight so it now comes on & off with the ignition. Also connected it via the onboard bluetooth system so I can also get tunes & the sat nav into the helmet.

Eagle likes this.
  19. BlackHornet

new grips to replace the worn out ones should have been a 5 minute job but the bar ends refused to come off :mad:

20. Mikey

Mikey Street Fighter +

Heated this time ....