1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

I do love a wheelie

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by rhanmore, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Glad to hear it....about the sportster, not your pants needing changing moment on tother one! :rofl:
    Must admit, had the front wheel up on the Star.....f*ck knows how....but I did! :eek:

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

3. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

It aint so much the talking about it that bothers me it's getting the bollocks to do it!
    I used to be partial to popping the odd wheelie on my Bandit 1200 having first learnt on an MT5! Then a mate went on a wheelie school day, came back from it brimming with confidence, decided to show everyone how 'easy' it was on his new Fazer Thou and flipped the f*cker right in front of the crowd, funnily enough since then I haven't bothered trying anymore. Having said that when I see one go past me the other way on one wheel I do think 'YEAH!'
    Having said all that it is very irresponsible and in my current role I must wag my finger and go 'tsk tsk' (whilst thinking 'YEAH!') :D

kitten_art, Roadwart and Les like this.
  4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Case on point there Jim, wheelie school won't teach you to wheelie only an experience in the sensation, after which (as o told Josh after our day out) then its time to go away for about 3months (riding frequency depending) and practice.

Most importantly, NEVER pull a wheelie for reason but wanting to pull one, until its as natural as changing gear.

So when do you want to go out? ;)

5. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Artosigned3.JPG View attachment 1284

As for wheelies

If you do the job properly then you don’t have to strain/wreck the transmission.

Use the front brake and the front forks by riding slowly and bounce the forks on the front brake, open up gently on the throttle as the forks rise, and up she comes….feathering the rear brake just in case, this gives control if it gets out of hand and will bring the bike back down…..

So, all on the throttle, nice and smooth with no transmission snatch so everything in the clutch and gearbox department is all hunky dory.

I've managed it it on a moped up to the big stuff, with next to no power to those with plenty.....hence that old Norton did it so well......

This is how Arto Nyquist did it on a Z1300, the first to smash rear light lenses and without stunting aids......:thumbsup:

6. HAYABUSADAVE

_Arto_Nyquist_Kawasaki_Z1300.jpg Way to go........ :thumbsup:

7. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

8. HAYABUSADAVE

Well that fucked that then!!!!!!bet it didnt see rubber side down again!!!!:giggle:

9. niki

niki Off Roader +

nah I love seeing them but no good at doing them have done a couple by accident launching too quickly but they were more brown pants moments not fun lol..

10. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

Nothing cooler than a well executed wheelie however get it wrong...like the guy who wheelied into the back of a people carrier outside the Ace when it stopped at the red light...and you look a right donut!
    A wheelie day sounds like fun to me.

11. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

I not great at them need some lessons -

12. mousematt

mousematt Commuter 500 +

I wanna learn to wheelie! This still going on - or have I missed it? :thumbsup:

13. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Still an idea in the forming i think Matt, might have a go myself. :D

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Think venue is big issue on something 'off the books'.
    That and the unforseen circumstance of being gutted like a fish for a surgical proceedure, meaning that I may not be riding any time soon. However, as wheelies are basicly just physics (once you get over the unnatural angle of the bike, fear of falling off and risk of trashing upwards of £5k of vehicle) It's nothing that can't be taught verbally and then observed as you practice. :thumbsup:

Yoda likes this.
  15. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

Do i need to drop a cog or 2 mate ???

16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

In principle, you can wheelie damn near any bike without changing the gearing but lower gearing = easier lift = less throttle input = more control, which is why you see stunters running round with dinner plate sprox. Wouldn't suggest you go more than equivilent of about +10 on the rear for anything you ever ride more than about 70 though (4cyl), unless you like the sound of the rev limiter :p

17. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Very nice pic! cant seem to get my little 250 off even a little bit! haha

18. K1NG1E

K1NG1E Twist N Go

Police don'tlike em coz its classed as dangerous driving and your not in full control of the bike..........FCUKOFF !!!!!
    anyone that can poll a wheelie, crank up the gears and land it and silly speed is in absolute control in my book.

Cant do em, but i am partial to a rolling burnout or 2......

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  19. HAYABUSADAVE

rocket_3_wheelie.jpg Now thats a wheelie..........:thumbsup:

kitten_art and Miky_G like this.
  20. HAYABUSADAVE

Here you go,
    This chap knows a thing or two about wheelies.......

HOW TO DO WHEELIES

The way I will tell you how to do a wheelie and you being able to just go out and do it, and get it right after a while will all depend on how good you are at knowing and feeling what you can do with your bike.

If you ride an R1 - CBR 900 – 1200 Bandit – etc, These types of bikes are the easiest of all for wheelies because they will wheelie off the throttle in first gear without trying hard at all.:rubhands:

There are different way's of doing them.

1: Riding off clutch all the way out doing around 20 – 30 mph shut the throttle then open it and pull on the bars these people usually don't change gear they rev the nuts of it and don't look in control.

2: Some others pull off usually from a traffic light as above and instead of shutting the throttle they just give it more gas and pull on the bars, This is a better way than above but still not right. You do not need to pull on the bars.

3: Others pull off and then pull the clutch in and out quickly " Slipping the clutch " This is only needed if your bike will not lift just off the throttle. Bikes " some 600s maybe some 750s, I say some because I have ridden the R6 Yamaha and new GSXR 750 and these will lift just from opening it up in first gear and letting the engine do the rest, But it will be harder than on the R1 etc as these have more torque " low down power " than the smaller bikes.

The way I do a wheelie on an R1, CBR900, 1200 Bandit etc is.
    First gear, pull away and let the clutch all the way out but try to keep two fingers on the lever, " Some people may feel better with more or less fingers on the lever some may not use the clutch at all. Use what you feel most comfortable with" This is if you want to progress and start changing gear and if you do you will do it all in this little one two step. So you have pulled away clutch out and two fingers on the clutch lever all in one go open the throttle fast enough and wide enough and the bike should pull away really quickly and if you are riding an R1 this should start to wheelie at about 6-7000 RPM and it will literally jump up very fast so be carefull not to let it go too high too quickly, The Bandit will be the same but the Blade may start to come up around 7000 to 8000rpm and will not wheelie as quickly as the other two. Anyway back to the wheelie. When it comes up you need to change to 2nd gear As it comes off the floor. Wait until it is say 2 feet off the ground, do not try and blip the throttle a few times in first gear this is too aggressive the bike will be a lot easier to control in 2nd gear, and you should be able to ride it for a lot further than you could have done if you stuck to first gear. Now you are up in second try to keep the throttle as smooth as possible while you are doing the wheelie try not to keep blipping it, instead try to roll it on and off slowly but to do this the bike will need to be up very high near the balance point where you will only need to give it very small amounts of throttle. You will need a lot of practice before you can wheelie this good but if you try hard enough and think about what you and the bike are doing.. You should get the feel for it soon enough. Remember to try and look where you are going when you are on one wheel, try to look either side of the bike or just make sure you are not going to hit something that you can not see !

When you are getting to the end of second gear instead of letting the bike rev it's nuts off and hitting the limiter then it will hit the floor quite hard and can easily burst fork seals. All you have to do is change gear again into 3rd . Again most people who can already change gear do it by changing as fast as they can and sometimes it will stay up and they will ride it through 3rd as well. To make it that little bit easier just before you change to 3rd give it a little extra blip on the throttle this will help the bike stay up easier because that change from 2nd to 3rd may be fast but the bike will start to come down and you will have to give it more gas and if you have not got the wheelie high enough it will go down. So try to blip it quickly as I said and this will help a lot when you get it right.

600-750cc Bike's

This is nearly the same as with the other bikes exept you will probably need to use the clutch more to get it up. I said earlier on that some 600s will wheelie off the power without slipping the clutch at all, I know the R6 Yamaha will and I believe the new CBR 600 will also. The other new 600s should do the same but I have not ridden these. The new 750s will do the same but older bikes may not.

So here we go again the only diffrence is the use of the clutch and more balance to keep it up for longer as you will not have the torque or power as the R1s e.t.c.

When you pull off you should try and notice when your bike gives the most power but not top end power when it is running out of rev's. Halfway through the rev range you should feel this. Maybe 5 - 7000 rpm when it gets to this you will need to slip the clutch but very lightly. What I mean is do not open the throttle get to 5-6000 revs and pull the clutch all the way to the bars and whack it back out again. That is not what I meant, when it does reach 5-6000 just pull in the clutch lever enough so you hear the engine go to 7-7500 rpm and let it back out quickly but smoothly. The rpm may differ on what bike you are riding but the rest is the same. Some people may like to whack the clutch in and out in 2nd gear to get it up. My way is safer and will not hurt the bike as much. To change from 1st to 2nd this is the same as the bigger bikes but is a little harder with less power.

If you get this far the rest is history you will be able to get 4th 5th and maybe even 6th if your bike has six gears. Always get the bars as straight as possible when it does come down and hold them as tight as you can to avoid a tank slapper.

For people who think this is all too much to remember I will put it as short as I can.

Pull away,clutch all the way out, give it a lot of throttle and it WILL wheelie, When it does change gear, don't try at all to keep it in first for a bit just change gear straight away when it first comes up to 2nd gear then get it higher and keep it up longer with easy smooth throttle actions ride it through 2nd and when you feel it needs another gear give it the little extra blip and go for 3rd as quickly as you can, the same for the rest of the gears.

Enjoy and be safe.

Gary Rothwell
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]