1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Advice please!

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Finchy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

If you're laquering, then don't sand your last paint coat. Use a thinner ratio than you have been, 70:30 or so get a really nice coat and then laquer on that, starting with your 800grit and rubbing down between laquer coats again, on the last coat work up to around 2500grit, then cut and polish.

The reason not to sand the final colour coat is that ANY imperfections, swirls, residue will be locked under the laquer and that really sucks when you find it!

Good luck dude. My next pain project is going to involve rollers and yes, it's an automotive project.

2. Finchy

Finchy Guest

You think I should sand in between lacquer coats? I've been concentrating on getting the paint nice and flat so that I didn't have to do any additional wet & dry work when lacquering. You're sure that it won't 'dull' the finish, even with 2500gt? I was hoping to get a nice near-perfect top coat of paint (3rd coat) and then finish off with two (unsanded) lacquer coats.

Anyway, your next project involves rollers? Hmmmm. Is it a mini crossed with a tank? :). If so, can I have a go?

3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Should be okay without sanding between laquer coats (assuming you don't get runs ;) )
    Once you're all laquered up then a G3 or ultimate compound to finish, after giving it plenty of time to dry as laquer dries really slow! wet and dry is the same as cutting compount / polish just more abrasive.

Rollerpainting is the new idea for the Mini!
    http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Sounds a laugh.

4. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Bloody hell - that looks simple, but I bet it'll be a right pain. That big old yank tank does have quite a few nice flat panels... and certainly more than the mini. Worth a try though eh!

5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Needs painting either way, so may as well give it a go. I can do the doors / boot / bonnet inside the garage and then make a frame to cover the wings while they dry. Plus the paint is cheap and tough as nails :thumbsup:

6. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I called Lepson's. They charge £80+vat PER WHEEL!!! So pretty much £200 for the pair. Maybe I'll keep shopping around and try those guys in Newington...

7. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

£50 (including the stabilisers), shot blasted, primed and baked.
    DSCF0128.JPG

deano81 likes this.
  8. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Bargain! I spoke with BP Coatings in Sittngbourne (they've moved) and they'll be doing the wheels (shotblast, etch, prep, mask, coat, bake) for £50+vat for the pair. Doubtless they'll do a deal if I don't want a receipt ;). They're only a couple of miles down the road, so hopefully it'll all work out ok.

deano81 likes this.
  9. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

bargain... il have to get their details from you matey. i have a sandblaster and was going to blast then spray my bro's frame and swingarm but at prices like taht i might see what they quote for it. much prefer a powdercoated frame anyways, then i just have to spray the tank and plastics :D

10. Finchy

Finchy Guest

BP Coatings, Prentice Quay, Millway, Sittingbourne, ME10 2QD. 01795 844848 (as recommended by Reeseyboy here).

reeseyboy likes this.
  11. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

:thumbsup: cheers fella.. much appreciated. il let my brother know, he can start saving his pennies then lol.

12. Finchy

Finchy Guest

No worries. Don't thank me, thank Reeseyboy!

13. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Awwwwww, shucks! You're gonna make me blush....

I just hope you're happy with it!

Finchy likes this.
  14. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Here's some pics of this week's progress. All panels are now painted and rubbed-down / polished, ready for new decals before I lacquer next week (ish).

Dropped the wheels off to be powder-coated today, so will post pics of those once I pick them up later in the month.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ro06k5 likes this.
  15. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

How do you get such good results with such a tidy garage. Should be a shithole like mine ???

16. Les

Les British Superbike +

What sort of biker are you? That garage is far too tidy.;)

17. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

He's either gay or another one with OCD. I reckon he's gay :rubhands:

18. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Ha ha funny bugger. I'm not OCD, but maybe I am, or maybe not, or maybe I am, maybe not. I am a bit of a neat-freak though (mainly down to having zero patience). However, I'm not really looking forward to lacquering when there's so much dust around. Perhaps I'll wait until I'm in the house on my own and then frantically spray Febreeze everywhere afterwards.

19. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

You missed a bit...

20. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Shurrup.