1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Oxford way

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by R1 Chickie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

This is a route SpinDoctor did that I really love the look of and would love to do it!
    From Oxford, we ran out along the A40 to Burford, up to Stow on the Wold, then along a nice B road (B4077) which climbs up and then drops down sharply off the Cotswolds to the M5, where we did a short stretch of m'way up to Worcester. We picked up the B4204 which is a fast, empty road with some very sharp bends and sudden climbs and descents (it goes past Shelsley Walsh, home of the famous hill-climb event) to Tenbury Wells. From there, due north climbing not quite to the top of Clee Hill, a very steep and prominent feature, dropping down in to the valley on the A4117, bypassing Ludlow on the A49 through Craven Arms before turning left on the lovely twisty A489 to Church Stoke where we stopped for a bite to eat.

We turned off to Montgomery which is a pretty little town, took a minor road over the top of the mountain behind it, then dropped down to the A483. The short stretch to Newtown is one of the few busy and not very interesting bits, but the stretch down to Llanbister more than makes up for it - it's one of the best roads in the country, full of never-ending 50/60mph bends, some sharper hairpins and immaculately surfaced.

I took a short cut on another mountain road to join the B4356, but the short cut became a diversion when the road ahead was closed at a bridge, and we had to cross back over the top of the mountain to rejoin the main road 20 mins later and just a mile or two on from where we left it. It did give me a chance to snap a couple of pics with the phone, tho! Looking back towards the coast we did seem to be on top of the world.

The B4356 is narrower and twistier than most of the other roads, but totally empty of traffic and mostly well surfaced and leads to Presteigne, where we picked up the B4362 which crosses back into England, eventually connecting with the A456, which took us back to Tenbury Wells.

From here we retraced our steps back to Worcester, via the M5/B4077 back to Stow then back to Oxford.

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Holy cow how on earth did you remember all that from one ride! :eek: I usually have no idea where I've been on the bike, although Burford rings a bell! :laugh:

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

no idea where any of those places are but i'm up for a rideout :D feel free to sort it for whenever i'm not busy :thumbsup:

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I'll ride damn near anywhere, and unlike BH am free most of the time and don't unexpectedly nearly die of man flu :laugh:

5. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

i ride anywhere to, i just go for a lay down half way round

BlackHornet likes this.
  6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

:moon:sfight:

7. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

i have a new app on my phone now start it when you start - stopp it at the end and - then down load it, it shows your route and speeds you was doing .... turned the speed think off may be able to be use in cort of law ....:thumbsup:

8. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

wats the ap called?

9. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I didnt remember that route, Im not that good, Spin doctor wrote it down :)

but Yoda, please let us know the name of that app :)

10. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Sounds a handy app that, I've been looking for a satnav app but there doesn't seem to be any half decent ones out there and given my memory is shocking at the best of times, I'd like a slightly better idea of where I'm taking y'all up this way.

11. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Could probably use one of those cardio trainer apps, as they log speed/position and plot it on Google Maps....or something like Trackaroo which I've been trying out on my trackbike.