1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

PC Locking up

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by GixxerGilly, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

Might be my PC -- but since SEC has been up and running my screen locks on occasion (maybe a couple of times a day ?.) Not a major prob - but have to use Task manager as only way of closing SEC--then it shuts all opene sites that I have on aswell --

2. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

think you got to much open, close your legs that might help

GixxerGilly likes this.
  3. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

is it only internet explorer/whatever browser your using that this happens in? if so try updating you adobe flash player and java plugins see if that makes any difference, alternatively reset browser settings.

4. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

:ner: @ Patrick
    Deano -I have no idea what you mean lol I do have IE - and running windows 7 <? whatever the new one is- its only since I been using SEC and only when I am in here -- but I have Face book running in background and an *old forum* I use to use ;). Its not a mega deal --but it knocks me out of the other forum then I have to log back in -- and the constant loggin in miffing me as the *other forum* may think I am interested in what s been posted .......:whistle:

5. deano81

the bits that make websites look all funky and shiny are usually programmed in whats called java or flash .your internet browser ( in this case internet explorer) has to have applications installed to display these types of content. newer websites use newer version so you find sometimes if your version of the software is out of date it can cause problems with certain websites.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html this is the flash player download page, click on "get latest version" . http://www.java.com/en/download/ this is the java download paga and again click that big button in the middle and let it do its thing. might not sort the issue but could be an easy fix. if it keeps on doing it afterwards we'll go back to the drawing board and we'll see what we can sort out:thumbsup:

Roadwart likes this.
  6. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Deano xx All done xx

7. deano81

:D no probs glad i could be of service... :thumbsup:

GixxerGilly likes this.
  8. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

Its just done it again :-(

9. deano81

oooook . sorry for the delay in responding... beena busy day. next thing to try is reset internet explorer settings. up the top of the browser should be some options ie file,edit,view.favourites etc. click on TOOLS then INTERNET OPTIONS which is the last option. this will bring up a box. At thetop of the box is a bunch of tabs, head to the far right one which is ADVANCED and click on it. there should now be a button at the bottom of the page saying RESET . click this and another box appears. leave the DELETE PERSONAL SETTINGS box unticked then click on reset, what this will do is reset internet explorer back to default so if any rogue applications have attached thereselves to IE or one of your toolbar/browser addons is causing the issue then hopefully your prob will be sorted :thumbsup: If not then we'll go back to the drawing board lol

Roadwart likes this.
  10. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

its ony happens when I am in here ? so shall I still do what you said above ?/ *Advanced* thats a scarey one lol

11. deano81

yep its not a major operation just resets some settings etc.. sometimes internet explorer gets clogged up with extras and rubbish but you dont realise til wesbsites dont display properly etc sometimes

12. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

just done a dummy run -- before i hit the reset will it delete all my passowrd info and pre fill a form stuff ? not that it matters just verifying

13. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

It won`t if you have UNTICKED the "Delete personal settings" box

14. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

eeek I have done it I have to re start IE now -- so do i just close all mi tabs ??

15. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

:cool2: all done - will sort the email thinger me jiggy maybe tomozz or Monday xx

16. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

locked up again ............ :x3:

17. Roadwart

No idea what`s causing it. I`ve been using another forum that`s been running this s/w since it came out (about 18 months ago) & there have been no reports of lockups there.

18. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

(when it happens)The screen just sort of freezes on here then I cant minimise use any other open pages - pressing cntl alt del - brings the task bar thingy up -- and evrything is RUNNING ? I highlight SEC forum- END task -and then it shuts EVERYTHING down.
    I never log out of anywhere that i use -- but then have to re log into everywhere else (KSB being one) BUT, not in here - I just click my desktop shortcut and straight back in ?
    I can live with the prob just baffling me why it only happens on here ? x

19. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

hmmm just replying to Joshs Jumper thread = clicked the smiley and it locked . now got togo find Josh's theard to see if my post was published -

20. Roadwart

How many browser windows or tabs do you actually have running when it happens? Try running with ONLY this site open & no others. I suspect its a memory thing, but I could be wrong.