1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Any ideas why your bike would suddenly start munching 25-30% more petrol

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by R1 Chickie, Feb 29, 2012.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

You said earlier on that it's been "serviced" . That set alarm bells ringing for me ???

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Exactly, as previously mentioned, what immediately preceeded the change in performance/fuel usage? If it's the service and battery being dead, then those are your first ports of call.

3. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

'
    'Serviced', More like Fornicated Al.......:(
    Was this all after the Polish twat service she was on about?????? :nah: A set up like that, i wouldn't let them service a pram.......

4. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

It's exactly what happened to mine. It sounds like the echo valve. This is the only moving part that is not on a service schedule. I don't want to upset you any more than you already are but its a bitch of a job cos the cover on the engine is a place that gets real hot and the bolts have a tendency of snapping off. I had to drill them out

5. megawatt

What's an "echo valve" ? What's an "echo valve" ? What's an "echo valve" ?

6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Anyone who knows how I ride, will tell you that when it comes to moving off, Im like shit off a shovel, apart from one car, Ive not been beat yet. The copper who pulled me over today can vouch for that :)

7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Ooops! Hope he just gave you a warning T.

8. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ok, the battery change and service was long enough ago that its not really a recent change, and the service was with a Yamaha dealer so you would hope filters etc would be done. Its all been tickety boo til now. Revs are normal. She is just feeling a bit stuttery tonight. Im going to take her for a blast this weekend and see how she is.

9. HAYABUSADAVE

Naughty naughty.......there's the problem then.....you've worn it out..... :swn:

10. megawatt

Have a ride down my way on Sunday and we'll check it out. Unless you prefer to stick to so called "experts" ???

deano81, kitten_art and HAYABUSADAVE like this.
  11. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

aah good old predictive text on the iphone. that should be exup valve.

Roadwart and megawatt like this.
  12. megawatt

Is there a simple way of holding the Exup valve open without bringing up fault codes etc. On Blades they just disconnect the cables at the valve and tie them outta the way.

13. HAYABUSADAVE

Get rid and get something decent....simples! :thumbsup:

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Should that be the problem, it's an easy enough task to remove it's function or repair / replace it.

In terms of fuel usage, your tank is 18l so if you're topping up with £20 that's somewhere south of 15l. Perhaps it's not using more fuel you're just running lower in the tank?

Which would make it 2 seperate issues, to which the stuck EXUP would make sense if the power is feeling retarded. In that case, a check of the EXUP followed by a dyno run to make sure it's actually performing in the ballpark it should would be the solution.

15. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

You got beat by a Jag, was it a while ago? :whistle:

16. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

I have no mechanical knowledge at all but if you are putting £20 in each time you will have been getting less fuel for your money over recent weeks. The cost has risen slightly over the past month by a minimum of 4p a litre (depending on where you fill up) so it may appear that you think you are using more fuel? Couple that with all the other great views on here it might not be as bad you think.:)

17. Les

Les British Superbike +

Glad you cleared that up Jay, we've got a couple of R1's & have been racking our brains what an echo valve could be.;)