1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Battery not charging from bike?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Sporty1200, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Had to call the AA out this afternoon :( (membership expires in 2 days ). Went for a blat to Brighton, stopped for a burger then went to start the Honda and it was flat??? Tried a bump it, but the seat is really to high to safely jump on.

AA called, (arrived in 10 min :thumbsup:), did the checks, said ''bike is not charging the battery'' which is what i thought. On his ''symptoms identifed sheet he gave me was written ''Suspect Rectifier - not charging, not starting. We did search for the rectifier couldnt find it. I aswkled the guy if it was an alternator problem he said that isd a car thing this would probably be a rectifer problem???

Cant seem to find anything usfull on the net yet... :confused:

I will also post this on the CB1000r forum... Thanks in advance.

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Stick a voltmeter across the battery Kev and see what it reads, should be 13/14v with the bike running, if it's not then you know tis a charging fault. The rectifier is usually mounted up on the rear subframe on most bikes. :)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

It's a metally finned thing, looks a bit like this:

[​IMG]

Common failiure on a lot of bikes. :thumbsup:

Sporty1200 likes this.
  4. Sporty1200

Cheers guys.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just as you said Chris, that was his first thought to. Upon checking with a voltmeter the battery wasnt getting any juice from the engine...:thumbsup:

That's the thingy!!!!! Dave, :thumbsup: We had the seat/side panels off in search of what he said was a rectifier. I did i point to a thing that looked exactly like that (not having a clue what it was) and he said no it would be a smaller thing.

Thats a relief that at least i now know what it looks like and where to locate it :whew:. If i couldnt do the labour myself, it was gonna have to be off the road for a while, cant afford to be paying trade rates at the mo.

Is there any procedure to check the thing once i remove it to be certain its faulty?

5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Plug in a known working one and see if it starts ;)
    It's much the same as the alternator on a car, if it's broke it won't charge.
    They're pretty much the same off all bikes, just plug fitments differ.

6. Sporty1200

I should have said.. (didnt think) it did start from the button. To get me home, whilst he was checking the bike to find the rectifier, the battery had been charging from his van.

It then started from the button, he said drive home ''as quick as you can'', which as you can imagine went off on a whole new tangent.

I did (which is a whole other story :thumbsdown:, ive had a shit day since 6am) about 2 miles from home the indiators were very dim and as i pulled in the neutral light was hardly visible. The horn wouldn't work. The engine would still run, but i could just feel it needed revving, idling had felt very risky when in traffic on the journey home:swn:...

7. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

If you're lucky it's the reg/rec, if not it could be the alternator!!!

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Your electrics were dying because the battery wasn't charging ;)

9. Sporty1200

Ahh... :thumbsup: Think i get it... Get a known working one, start bike n check its charging at the battery with tongue, errr, i mean voltmeter. :)

kitten_art likes this.
  10. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Check alternator and reg/rec wiring first!!! Bit chicken and egg, one will damage the other!

11. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Reg/rec is under the riders seat on the CB. The stator is a known fault with the Fireblade that donated the engine to the CB and there's an extended warranty period with Honda to cover this. The reg/rec won't be covered unless the stator has taken it down....

Sporty1200 likes this.
  12. Sporty1200

Hmmmm, im getting at bit out my depth here, i bought a voltmeter a while back, really thought i needed one but i havnt much of a clue as to how to set it... :dunce:

13. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Was down your way today, could've popped in and had a little looky. There's plenty of stuff on the CB site about this type of thingy matey

14. Sporty1200

Reeseyboy, is there a procedure or easy to follow method you can describe of checking those parts for dummies :dunce:

15. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

ok follow the wiring from the rectifier. usually 2 plugs might just be a large multipin jobby.. most stators have 3 wires coming from them, quite common for the wires to be yellow but not a given.. so if its 2 connectors on the reg/rect its usually one connector with 3 wires from the stator/alternator and then another connector with 2 wires which is the positive and neg . the 3 wires will be AC voltage - prob in the region of 50-100v depends on windings . the other 2 leads should be DC and they should read upwards of 13v when running. if you can find the connectors from the stator then pop the multimeter into 200v AC mode then test any pair of connectors and see what the voltage is with the bike idling. Ive got jobs in ashford 2moro otherwise would offer to pop round and lend a hand but am free sat , and i need to collect something from Roadwart anyway so gives me a reason to head your way

Sporty1200 likes this.
  16. deano81

can also set to continuity check to see if one of the windings on the stator is earthing out

17. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

No worries deano. Any idea what time its likely to be?

18. Sporty1200

Cheers Deano, will pm my details, if you passing id appreciate that. :thumbsup:

19. deano81

lol not yet depends if sporty wants a hand or not.. was just a thought as saturday is the first day ive not been required elsewhere or doing jobs for people... been a hectic week of laptop repairs for me... plus some motherboard repairs, lcd power board or two etc lol

edit - finished typing this then realised sporty had replied... :D

20. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

All the fun stuff mate ;)

I only mentioned it as I`m working Sat morning in Burgess Hill until midday so I could meet you part way after about 1pm.