1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Franken-Striple: Behind the scenes

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Skortchio, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Phase 1: The Master Plan.
    Back in August last year I had the slightly ludicrous idea of riding a motorbike again after a 6 year gap and a slightly debilitating injury.

I bought a bike and started planning how to make is possible, I decided on a P7F, that's an '07 ZX-6R to the rest of you. My last bike was a ninja and I figured they must have figured the small problem that mine had by now.
    It and the planning looked like this:

axle size.jpg stabiliser.jpg Temp Brackets.jpg
    CIMG0738.jpg CIMG0740.jpg

After 5months and numerous problems / set backs / broken actuators (long and not overly interesting story, I won't bore you with) I'd only managed 1 test ride and that wasn't overly convinving.
    While waiting for the actuator (The bit that makes the stabiliers go up and down) to be repaired.
    I came to the conclusion that the ninja was not the bike to be converted.

So out it went and in came the Triple.
    A sum total of 5 weeks from purchase date and It was not only fitted, test ridden and tweaked. I was back on the road (literally at 2 points)!

Here's the work in progress (massively condensed):

Image1.jpg mount block.jpg Switch.jpg

DSCF0005a.jpg DSCF0014a.jpg DSCF0008a.jpg

The odd tweak here and there and it was working like a treat, time to rock out with ma c*ck out!

So here's a few more shiny pics of the finished article... For now!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3a.jpg 25042011249.jpg 22042011246.jpg

Tusky and ramrider like this.
  2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Phase 2: Handling.

When I first looked through the ranks of the circa 600cc naked bikes on offer, 2 things were clear:

1. The Striple spanked the pants of anything else in the class so hard that new models now come with a pants cabinet to display them in.

2. The stock suspension was very... Stock. Pre load only on the rear and nothing to mess about with (reads: mess up) on the front.

And if there's one thing I like, It's something I can fiddle with!
    But I've not ridden for 6 years, I'm never going to notice the failings of a stock suspension right away and not for a good many months...
    Or so I thought. 1 week, 3 rides and 500 miles later and I was on the hunt for upgrades. Under sprung and over damped is not a fun combo on the more bouncy Kent roads (I know, right. They're all bouncy).

As luck would have it, the rear shock from the CBR600RR was an almost direct fit. As well as being usual Honda fine quality, they're also in much greater supply than Ohlins TTX parts.

£35 to the nice man on ebay saw one delivered off a low milage bike in excellent condition, add in £10 for some shiny bolts and spacers and I was ready to start.

(Left to right - Stock, parts, fitting, done)
    DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002a.jpg DSCF0003a.jpg DSCF0006a.jpg

Not a bad waste of 45mins.
    Now I had a semi-swanky rear (easy!) I needed a posh front to match because 2 rides later I was wondering if I even had a front wheel at points... No, not those points.

So after a brief hunt I found something suitable. '08 ZX-6R forks, made by the fine people at Showa and suitable sprung / damped for spirited road riding and less pogo stick competition.
    But annoyingly, the standard Triple 2 pot slidey brakes wouldn't fit on this fine example of Japanese technology, they needed some new fangled radial brakes.
    Luckily I'd just so happened to see a set of Brembo derived mono-blocks complete with master cylinder on ebay going like a budgie! So I grabbed them aswell.

A little assistance from a friendly fabricator (thanks Nev) and I was ready to get cracking.

(Left to right - Stock, wheel & brakes off, old brakes, new brakes, forks on, done!)

DSCF0163.JPG DSCF0164.JPG DSCF0161.JPG DSCF0169.JPG DSCF0167.JPG DSCF0171a.jpg

In between this there was several on and off swaps to measure and adjust while keeping the bike road ready, to the extent I can now comfortably swap the front end in 35minutes.
    Only problem was the fender won't mount on the new forks, anyone have an 07/08 ZX6 fender they don't need? :confused:

*Why not 'R' or Daytona parts?* Quite simply the parts are too expensive for the given improvement. Daytona forks regularly come in at about £450+ which is without the calipers and m/c. Rear shocks are easily upwards of £100 and offer marginal (if adjustable) improvement over stock.

By taking this route I have gained better rear absorbtion, hugely improved front end handling and adjustment plus startling brake performance for less than the cost of a set of forks.

CBR shock: £35
    ZX6 Forks: £160
    M/C & calipers: £120
    Top hat bushes: £150

ScottieB27 and Tusky like this.
  3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Phase 3: Asthetics.

So the bike runs, the adaptations work and I've tested It's capability to fall over and keep working (with varying success), about time to tart it up! (:

Originally I planned to leave this until the weather turned bad enough the southerners went and hid indoors for the winter, but as the UK's summer approached with it's torrential inevitibility It became apparent that some weather proofing was needed for the bare parts.
    3hours and 10days at the powdercoaters (no idea why I had to wait, don't they know who I am?) later and the first bit of tarting up was finished. If you haven't looked closely you'll not notice it but I have and I do, so there!

DSCF0127.JPG DSCF0128.JPG DSCF0143.JPG DSCF0141.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

Other little additions / changes included the rear hand brake (Brembo powered) plus an easy pull MX clutch, Union Jack 1 off heel plates and a rear sprocket with slightly adjusted gearing.

Rack mk.1 is now in place and usable, some tweaking for the mk.2 to come but this will work for the while.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Next stop will probably be decals.
    I've already developed a wheelchair carrying rack but as yet haven't managed to pry it from the welder to test. More soon!

Tusky likes this.
  4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Placeholder #3

5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Placeholder #4

6. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Placeholder #5

7. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

what am i meant to do with these placholder things then

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Watch them intently, relax your eyes a little and eventually you'll see the hidden images.

Keep watching...

Sporty1200 likes this.
  9. Tusky

Tusky Off Roader +

Top thread..... was expecting to see a ubiquitous motortrike, so it was a great surprise to see it's not...... looking forward to seeing placeholders 3-5 and of course you on the twisties ;)

10. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Tusky likes this.
  11. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

What a #Great thread Dave - Have you ever though of a Feature in MCn ??? i could talk to Neeves when i see him next Problay next week at Brands and get him to do a Feture for you mate !!! what do you think ...... ????;)

Tusky likes this.
  12. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I'm in! Can't say I won't make a prat of myself but It's a laugh, innit :lol:

lammyR6 and Tusky like this.
  13. Yoda

Sorted - Let Me speak to Mr Neeves - And i know he will do something mate with a reporter and a Camerman probaly even do a little video .... im exited now mate ..... You will be in the Paper ,,, But i think People should know abouut your Sheer Dertimnation, hard work, Sweat. & tears you have put in to your Project mate ,

Lets hope they do a Good Spread :)

14. Yoda

First talk with MCN yesterday - callin me back today Mate ;)

15. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Sounds exciting! Hope my fender and brake line are sorted in time (and rack.. ffs!)

Yoda likes this.
  16. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Having ridden with you before the accident I have to say it makes me smile to see you back where you belong on a bike again! :thumbsup:

Sporty1200 likes this.
  17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

You mean in your rear mirror :unsure: I'm just out of practise dammit! :stomp:

lammyR6 likes this.
  18. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Any word from MCN?

19. Yoda

Yes and no mate - But been so bloody busy todat to get on here after the lon weekend so could not update you - they will run this story but at the moment she said they would struggle to publish it as paper is busy she has asked if we can arrange a meeting at your house in first week of september and will start the project off she will then come down here self with the reporter and photographer - i just asked here wat dates are good with here to put them to you but she is off to to moto gp on wednesday so hoping for reply befor e hand mate ;)

20. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Women! No sense of importance :laugh: