1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Swiss Alps trip 2012

Discussion in 'Biker events' started by Sporty1200, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Just revised the costings via car with 3 passengers using the Michelin guide, still a decent saving in just fuel alone of £167 each :)
    Apart from those taking their bikes we are looking at 2 cars, each pulling 3 bike trailers, possibly Allan, Megawatt in another car as well..
    3 car.JPG

lammyR6 likes this.
  2. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

Sounds good to me :)

3. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

I think they might have a rethink on charging me for a bike, when, all being well I turn up to get on the train on a Rocket III. The sound and the size might have them asking me to pay car prices.:rofl2:

Russell likes this.
  4. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Good job they don't base it on engine size...

5. Kevin Taylor

Just had another horrific thought, the way they make us park on the train could be somewhat of an issue, considering it has the turning circle of a bus.

6. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Could we not all load our bikes on the back of the Rocket III to save taking trailers? :cool:

Hanna and Roadwart like this.
  7. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

I reckon the rocket 3 could quite easily tow the trailers rather than using a car, after all its got an engine almost twice the size of my panda!

I have parked 2 different ways on the tunnel, they will probably ask you to park lengthways but with your front wheel turned into the "kerb".

8. Sporty1200

Better start getting used top some ''agricultural'' remarks too. :giggle: On the III i took out, changing down was like kicking a bucket down a well..:rofl:

9. Sporty1200

I think this months upcoming forum meet/dinner/pissup could be useful as a 2012 Swiss Alps meet as well for those coming and any new interested parties. Wed 7 Dec.

10. Tusky

Tusky Off Roader +

I'm heading out there in late August with some buddies :)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  11. Tusky

Tusky Off Roader +

Taken a couple of bikes out there by trailer twice now........ what a breeze.. got to France at 8:00am and rocked up in Lauterbrunnen at 4:00pm. Pretty well 90mph all the way but you do have to be careful of trailer speed limits in Switzerland.

You also need a Swiss vignette for the car and one for the trailer unless you stay off the Swiss motorway !!! I just stuck two in the car window held in place with cut down clear plastic folder and then used them on the bikes as well when there.... officially you can still be fined if they are not stuck down.

Oh and Sporty, I expect to see photos of you taking the Rocket III on the train under the mountain from Kanderstegg ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  12. Tusky

Tusky Off Roader +

If any of you guys want to sell vignettes when you get back, I could find buyers for 6-8 of them at around £10.00 a pop ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  13. Pink-Lady

Pink-Lady Moped

Are you all driving/riding to Grindelwald in one day? Or stopping half way?

14. Sporty1200

The smaller details of the plan are still in flux. Several of us have hotel reservations, which is probably the most important factor. As for getting there, last tear we stopped 1/2 way which was cool, but if we trailer the bikes the whole point is to do it in 1 day, rotating drivers. I'm sure not everyone will have access to car+trailer so will ride.

I have to add,, at this point, a couple of people's situations have changed including my own (redundancy :( ) so things may well change further. Suggest keep an eye on this thread, if you have any Q dont hesitate to ask me.

15. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Just in case anyone thinks I am still going, I'm not. But my two bike trailer is available if the timing is right?

Sporty1200 likes this.
  16. Kevin Taylor

Life and finances all got too complicated all of a sudden so currently off the menu, although I will not be cancelling my hotel booking until mid June. Just in case things change again.

17. Sporty1200

Same Kev... ive got a few rooms reserved which im keeping... :thumbsup: