1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Why I will never ride in France

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by R1 Chickie, Aug 1, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

People keep haranguing me and saying "but you must go riding in France". Bollocks to that, a good friend of mine and a couple of mates were caught speeding and they were forced to pay on the spot fines of 1000 euros each and made to go back to the ferry and head back to England and banned from riding in France for a year. 1 of them didnt have the funds so his bike was impounded until he could go back and cough up the cash. They were lucky. This last weekend, 2 bikers from LB were caught speeding but now the fines have gone up to 1500 euros AND they were not allowed to ride their bikes back, had to leave them in France and get a mate to take his van over to collect them. So quite frankly, Germany and the autobahn is where its at! France can kiss my ass :D

http://english.controleradar.org/speeding-fines.php

2. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Moral:- Enjoy France, enjoy the roads, but Obey the French Laws!
    Fines & Penalties may vary but the same applies for ANY other Country.

_Yappa_, Yoda and Roadwart like this.
  3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Was gonna do Normandy again next year, think I,ll do the Ardennes again instead.

4. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

just spent a weekend over there hardly any french coppers to be seen.untill we parked outside one of there stations.stay on the back roads slow down though the villages and keep off the main drags .

5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Apart from you could train a monkey to drive on an autobhan...

Also, if they were fined the maximum then they were heavily speeding. If the french police could be bothered to follow them then it was somewhere sub-urban at a guess.
    It's hard to leap on a band wagon without all the details, coppers are the same everywhere you get good and bad. But blatently f*ck with them and they'll always win.

Hey, at least they weren't in Spain. Over there you can watch while they crush your bike, fine you and keep you in jail for up to 3 days if I remember. :scary:

6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

clearly you just have to stick to mild speeding as thats only 135 euros which seams quite good to me :p

7. J'05'H

J'05'H Sport Tourer +

Im going over tomorrow. :sun1::ner:

8. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Enjoy???

9. J'05'H

J'05'H Sport Tourer +

10. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

you just going for the day?

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

Hey T, don't be put off, I've had brilliant times in France. Autoroutes are boring no matter how fast you go, stick around the limit if you must use 'em then have a blast with the friendly locals around the back/mountain roads. Best of all take the bikes by van to the south with all the gear, saving your tyres for the twisties. Fewer traffic islands too! :laugh:

ramrider likes this.
  12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ho ho, nah,if I went to Germany, I wouldnt just do the autobahn obviously, but Nurburgring and the Black Forest which are pretty awesome to me. A week running around Deutchland holds much more appeal to me.

PS. I dont understand the concept of moderate speeding. As the French would say "que"? :D

ScottieB27 likes this.
  13. J'05'H

J'05'H Sport Tourer +

Yep! Got a return fare on the Euro Tunnel for £22. Cheaper than a travel card!

14. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Wow, youre fun! Are we also only having sex in the missionary position? :p ;)

Just messing with you x

Yoda and Sporty1200 like this.
  15. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Are you suggesting sex with you is mundane and uninteresting ? :ner:

16. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

What I'm trying to put over is that that you know the "penalties" so dont whinge when you get caught
    To follow you original post http://www.seahavenfm.com/news.php?id=72&cat_id=0 do we assume you will no longer be riding in the UK!!

17. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

What those stories dont tell you is that those types of punishments are usually dealt out to people who already have lots on their records already. I have been caught doing 110 and in France, I would be sans bike and my wallet much lighter, here, I got off with points and a small payment because I have a clean licence. You have to be a persistant speeder to get jail time.

18. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Plus, its the dangerous driving charge that really kills you, you usually dont get jail time on speeding but again, dangerous driving is quite hard to prove and doesnt go hand in hand with speeding so the cops would have had some good evidence to show dangerous riding in that case.

19. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

this is why i only ever plod about on the hornet :bike: plus it doesn't stand out like say a bwm sports bike :cool:

deano81, Sporty1200 and Hanna like this.
  20. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

It didn't help that the LBers from last weekend were the tail end of a group of riders... I would expect that the cops attention was caught by a group of English bikes doing somewhat more than a touch over the speed limit. They were unfortunate but again, it's no reason to not ride in France, just need to be very aware.

As those of us going over on the 24th of this month will be! :vesp: