1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Southern France/northern Spain trip route?

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by BenRobson2999, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BenRobson2999

BenRobson2999 Twist N Go

Hi
    Looking for some tips on motorbiking abroad and places to visit/routes to take and avoid in the area I'm heading. On Sunday 11th aug we (the mrs and I) leave Portsmouth via ferry to Bilbao arriving early tues morning. We then plan on doing a bit of northern Spain and south of France for about a week (b and b's) before making our way back up to Calais for the ferry home. We have just under two weeks from leaving Portsmouth.

Any info much appreciated! Oh and we're two up on the bonnie :)
    Ben

_Yappa_ likes this.
  2. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Hello and welcome to SECB Ben. A mate did that trip last year. I'll ask him for some pointers for ya.

3. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Take a look at Fuente De near Pote in Northern Spain. It was recommended to me, so I'll be whizzing up & down it in a few weeks! Those mountain roads are spectacular.

4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

I've no idea but i know some who will...........Lammy this ones over to you :D

5. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

There is so much to see in Northern Spain, the Pyrenees and all regions of France I would advise choosing an area and "doing" that rather than try to spread yourself too thin.

If you are ferrying to Bilbao you could do the Costa Verde along with the Picos de Europa (including Fuente De, which is a must), along to Oviedo, Santiago and Vigo. If you get to Vigo take a boat trip Ilas Cies, stunning. This region of Spain is less "touristy" than many others, but is no less beautiful.

All this would mean the best way back is by ferry from Bilbao (or Santander). My wife and I always regarded these as a mini cruises, and not really expensive if you consider the cost of getting back up through France.

6. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Najac, Carcassonne. Albi Cathedral and the Millau Bridge among many others.

7. Les

Les British Superbike +

Tarne gorge somewhere near Millau, miles of fantastic bends following the river:thumbsup:. Oh...hang on, you have pillion:cautious:. Might be a bit too far east, but the French alps around Barcelonette are also brilliant with spectacular scenery too.

8. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Through and around (east side) of Andorra was SENSATIONAL. Great roads. I agree with Jim. Head to the Pyrenees and make it all count. We spent a week biking from Barcelona back to Calais. Take your time through the Pyrenees and enjoy the ride!

9. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Oh Bilbao through to Leon is great too (if you do the mountain roads!)

10. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I loved the Picos de Europa too - beautiful scenery and nice twisty mountain roads - although been a long time since I did that range. I would say the bit to avoid is between Vallodalid and Madrid as there is a lot of long flat spaces that seem to go on for ever and can be very dull. Most sections of the Pyrenees are stunning. I have ridden down from Pau in France and there are some beautiful, sweeping, wide twisties around there.

11. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

N260 through the pyrennes, make your way to Milau Bridge, N88/106 to Le Puy, then Ales, Le Cannet, Cannes, then jump on the Route Napoleon

_Yappa_ and lammyR6 like this.
  12. Les

Les British Superbike +

Did this last year in the TT, fan-bloody-tastic.:thumbsup:

13. BenRobson2999

BenRobson2999 Twist N Go

Hi thankyou for all the replies. I have been a little busy and not got back on here! We have now booked a ferry return trip from Portsmouth to Bilbao. I want to make it a bit more enjoyable for the girlfriend as its her first long trip on a bike so rather than ride home we have gone for the return trip option. This gives us 7 nights in France and Spain to explore and return to Bilbao.

So I will research some of the towns and roads. I cant wait :) maybe next year I will go alone or amoungst a group to do a bit more mileage.

_Yappa_ likes this.
  14. BenRobson2999

BenRobson2999 Twist N Go

Jimbo

Your route sounds interesting and similar to our plans so gonna check that out now.

15. Sarah

Sarah Twist N Go

Picos de Europa and Potes is beautiful. Be mindful of your speed as I got a 50 Euro on the spot fine. Loads of traffic police when we were there. Fantastic roads and scenery. Enjoy.

16. Patyogi

Patyogi Street Fighter +

Picos is brill stayed there for a month in the camper, great roads if you keep off the mains. Some really good B nB's quite cheep outa season. Especially as the ferry is cheaper as well, hopefully going in September, if the dosh is there. 2 weeks on the bike, weathers always good until late October.

17. BenRobson2999

BenRobson2999 Twist N Go

Pulling my hair out trying to plan this route!
    I'm unsure of distance to try and cover a day 2 up on smaller roads....
    Does any one have a good 7 night route starting at bilbao and returning in bilbao for the ferry home.
    We are pretty open as to where to go, the girlfriend wants to see Barcelona, I want to see some cheap ish hotels and nice roads! Any help much appreciated!

18. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Might be worth checking out Horizons Unlimited, they often have routes people have done etc. I've toured that area but it was quite a few years ago so would need to scour some maps before could remember where to recommend :).
    Re: accommodation you could maybe try this: http://www.bike-stay.net/

19. Finchy

Finchy Guest

We've just come back from Northern Spain & Portugal, so I can recommend some amazing roads around the Picos / Santander / Riano. Any good? Most of the decent campsites have log cabins which you can book in advance, so that may present a better option when biking (bike right next to your accommodation etc etc).

If it makes you feel any better, I was equally uncertain about distances... so we ended up riding from Santander, up and over the mountains all the way to Porto. This was something close to 500 miles in one shot... and yes, my arse hurt, so not recommended (although the roads more than made up for it!).

lammyR6 likes this.
  20. Patyogi

Patyogi Street Fighter +

We always plan on about 100/150 mile a day, especially 2 up and we have the biggest touring bike. Sometimes if we love the place we stay longer. Make your criteria spending time with the locals, a small bar and lunch, you will get more of a feel of the country than blatting across it. We do this everywhere we visit. If you have 2 weeks you can cover vast distances on these manageable mileages and really get to know the country.
    We are doing Germany in July and just booked hotels for one night for every 100 miles, Mons, Marrstritch, Cologne, then we are into Germany and with a 10" tablet will book the next hotel on ... weather, scenery, chill factor. Simples, we got 2 weeks we can explore the Black Forest and Rhine with ease.
    Always have done this especially with our camper van, we really miss it now.

If you need any info PM me or fone, I will give you my number if you are interested. Best advise, enjoy don't rush and talk to everyone, friends are strangers you have not met, yet!

Stars and Stripes likes this.