1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Why do we have two FB pages ?

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by hoppielimp, May 13, 2013.

1. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

Okies ive put a message up on the open fb group to let the members of that group know of its impending demise, so for anyone here who hasn't shifted over to the other group now is the time to do so, obv if your not bothered about the FB bit just ignore this ;) .

_Yappa_ likes this.
  2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I think we have been here before Brett.

The site IS laid out in sections, each with a sub header detailing what is (or should be) contained within that section. If that`s not enough we also have a search function to narrow things down if a member is looking for something more specific. As for the data contained, that`s down to what the members post :)

_Yappa_ likes this.
  3. Patyogi

Patyogi Street Fighter +

You can please some peeps some of the ... etc.

_Yappa_ and Roadwart like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Changes have been made to the secbikers page to make it secret. Make sure you join the main one before we close the other one :) my god that makes fook all sense but whats new :rolleyes:

megawatt likes this.
  5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

I want the forum to be successful, it needs a lot more than it has at the moment.

I think it could be better Roadwart, there are too many sections that over lap, the search engine is poor but that applies to all forums, Some of us offered to start a good documented EU section with routes for sat navs and hotel recommendations, but I do not want to spend time doing this, if it is going to be lost in some poor laid out section that applies to every other bit of road all other the UK.

Roadwart you go on about how big you want the site to be, it will never grow if no input of use, forums need good laid out information, that is easy to navigate and find, remember some people who join this forum I bet have never used a forum before. As discussed FB will eat up forums if they offer no more than chit chat.

Patyogi, trust me I have no intentions of ever pleasing you .... ETC...... first post you have ever wrote in English if I recall. best you keep your personal opinions of others to yourself.

6. Patyogi

Patyogi Street Fighter +

Best if you learn a bitta grammar, stop whinging and join a 'better' forum. Must be one somewhere for you'ssss.:sleep:

7. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I dont have anything to do with the 2nd group - I think that was Kevin ?? I am not an admin on there ? The reason why we have a face book group FOR THOSE WONDERING .. is for the means of a back up on here, should we ever have unexpected Downtime - the facebook group acts as back up - . And re the MODERATERS, ( TONY) , Moderating is not JUST POSTING, its actual MODERATING , ie reading all the posts to check for content . making sure posts are in correct threads = Moving wrong posts - Check late night spam bots amonngst other things too .. #JUSTSAYING :ner:

8. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I personally find the site pretty easy to use and I am not the most pc savvy in the world. However, if there are issues and some of the threads seem to overlap than it would be helpful to put it in the "Forum Feedback" section so that we can help to try and streamline where needed. Hence the title "Forum Feedback" :).
    As for the initial discussion that this thread was about - ie FB - this has now become :otop: :D (including by me)

_Yappa_ and GixxerGilly like this.
  9. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

guys keep it friendly :mad::mad::mad:

_Yappa_, deano81 and GixxerGilly like this.
  10. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Forum is fine as it is. Nuff said.

11. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Sorry Gilly, thought your post in May, said you started both, so thought you were the one to close it if you so chose...anyway looks like it's happening so all good :)

GixxerGilly likes this.
  12. MaDProFF

I was keeping it friendly Tom, I don't make snide remarks like Patyogi does at other people all the time.

I am not whinging, I am trying to improve things, if you guys think the forum is fine as it is, then fine, but you have to ask yourself though why people seem to use FB more now, even ride outs are posted on there than here, and certainly more conversations seem to take place.

13. Roadwart

I think you answered your own question in a previous post...

How many people actually get up, walk 7 feet across the room & press the buttons on the TV rather than use the remote? How many walk 10 mins into town for those few odds & ends rather than 3 mins in the car & 15 mins to park? The general population these days have become lazy & want everything here & now. :thumbsdown:

14. MaDProFF

So the answer is Roadwart? if you do not know I am not going to bother explaining again.

15. Roadwart

I know what you are getting at & the answer is NO, this forum isn`t going to close in favour of FB.

_Yappa_ and GixxerGilly like this.
  16. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I am not whinging, I am trying to improve things, if you guys think the forum is fine as it is, then fine, but you have to ask yourself though why people seem to use FB more now, even ride outs are posted on there than here, and certainly more conversations seem to take place.[/quote]

Not that i work - but friends that do, can access facebook easy from works PC's etc where as Forums are often banned/blocked . In Pre- facebook days all forums were buzzing with activity , like minded people from around the globe could all chat together about there chosen hobbies/activities etc . I have to say facebook HAS killed off a good % of Forums - its free , its easy to set up and it never has server problems. But be it a forum or facebook its only as good as the content of posts.
    We have to live with facebook and in the case of Sec Bikers - its has always been a back up for if this site goes down ... I could be wrong too, but Bike sites are easier to find on facebook ?? If you are a member of , say tarmac terroist (i dont think they have a forum) but their face book page has an abundance of *similar* Bike sites running along with it - Done by face book - as does our face book page . (sorry waffling) The point I am saying is more people get pointed to the facebook page than here ... thats why the Forum URL is in the facebook page - to encourage new people to use here . but we cant force them too ... sorry this is long ..

Roadwart likes this.
  17. MaDProFF

Oh Dear, you are so Wrong it is unbelievable I DO NOT want this forum to close and replaced by FB, I want this forum to thrive, but I honestly feel we need to make it more interesting, hold more info in a way people can find it easy. FB has its flaws, it cannot hold data in a way we want to find it,
    If we want a certain bike route we go to sites like BBR's if we want hotels we spend ages searching booking .com for the right hotel, and then we never know what it is like till we have stayed there. Information is Power, the more info you have the more people will use it.
    A lot of sites have web pages and then a forum in the back ground, look at our home page, it is not really a page to grab you to look further.

Jim G I am glad you are happy, but not everyone is, if you want this site to survive and not lose it's appeal, to the point that so few one uses it as we have seen over the last few months, then as I said fine carry on, then FB will take over.

GixxerGilly and LATE like this.
  18. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

Very well said Brett but, you're wasting your breath, pro-active cronstructive critism is often percieved, as it is here, as moaning and it's human nature generally to go in to defense mode

But, then I suppose it has got virtually every Mod to post tonight :giggle:

GixxerGilly and MaDProFF like this.
  19. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

From across the pond I have some suggestions:

1. Utilise the Site Feedback thread to post suggestions. Don't just complain about things that gripe you, give suggestions. Anyone who works in any job knows that this is 101 management (no use saying problem if you haven't brainstormed a solution).

2. The layout of the site, is (I imagine) pretty much going to stay as is. It is developed from the inception of the site and would be BEYOND a bugger to change. Like any forum, it takes time to understand a forum's nuances - give it time.

3. The amount of EU trips that seem to be happening I think it's a great idea to have an 'international ride out/trips' thread under "out and about". That will allow for easier search function.

4. The FB site can still be used as a ride out suggestion for exactly the reason as stipulated earlier - it is easier sometimes (depending on who you are) to access FB rather than the forum. On my mobile the FB site is easier to read than the forum, but that doesn't not mean that one place has more of a use than the other. They can run simultaneously and people can use which they chose!

5. Development of the group/site/forum. You just need to post the stats of how many people join and how many new people interact and attend ride outs that give you this feedback. From checking the forum when you guys are all in bed - that seems to be one area that keeps growing!!

6. I do believe that the admins for the FB site should be voted upon and managed the same way that the forum is. This ensures that the integrity of the group is maintained.

//rant over!!

JimG and lammyR6 like this.
  20. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Hi Gilly, of course being a Moderator is not just about posting,but how can you moderate posts when you didn't log in for 10 Days?!. I could go on but to be honest can't be arsed, but as a Fully Paid Up Site Supporter... I pay my way I'll have my say.

GixxerGilly and MaDProFF like this.