1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

... I crashed

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Jun 24, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Actually does anyone know if a k4 750 radiator will fit a 600.. or do I need to wait till I get my bike back from the garage?

2. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

No, it wont fit

3. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

95% sure its a straight fit, just the 750 one might be a tad larger, ask on the Junkies for a definate answer

Ive just text'd a mate who will know for sure, ill let you know

4. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

The 750 rad is bigger, but can be made to fit with a bit of bodgery on the bottom bracket

If you need a PDF workshop manual, pm me youre email addy

jack_bm likes this.
  5. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay cheers for that, just put the question up there.. its mental, a new OEM radiator is like 4-500 quid, fairing is 5something hundred a side... stuck on what to do.. do i go get a cheap chinease part untill i find an OEM second hand or what :s

6. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

there is plenty of second hand parts. is the rad split or just bent ? as you can have them re cored all depends how quickly you want it back together. OEM parts are normally in stock in the uk but chinese stuff can take weeks to come.

i would go for a tempory repair on the fairing then scan Ebay till the right set comes up at the right price.

8. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

if the fiaring isn't completely fooked you can plastic weld the cracks pretty easily just with a soldering iron. I have plenty of scrap abs fairing kicking around to use as filler material if you want to patch up the fairings,. obv wont be the prettiest without a respray but at least youl be one step closer to being on the road...

9. Les

Les British Superbike +

I had a v squashed rad from KTM 450 repaired by some online repairer in the midlands (from MCN I think). Made an excellent job for around £100 & took just over a week to get back.

10. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah untill i get it replaced i was thinking about trying to do that to it, i've found one side in same colour and everything but its in australia.. but emailed him so hopfully we can work something out.

Any chance i could have the number or an email address of who done that? would save a bunch of money as im thinking of getting a 750 radiator but if i can get this one repaired that'd be great

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

I really don't remember the co that did mine, just that it was in Manchester but Aaron rads in London, among loads of others advertised online, was nearest. If it needs straightening they're from £80 or if completely mullahed, a recore (weld in a new centre part to the existing headers) for £200-300.

12. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

No worries ill look into it, i'm not sure it 100% needs doing, waiting to hear back from the garage, its not leaking, and as far as i could tel its not restricting air flow.. just need to get the major things done... cheers for all your help though

13. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Quick question guys, what do you think i should do regarding my fairing. steering has all been straightened and they said from they can see the frame is fine luckily.. but as its got a massive crack in it should i try secure it more or secure it together before i go on rides etc? or should it be okay..

Maybe time to bring out the black n nasty tape ;) haha

14. Finchy

Finchy Guest

If it's just a crack and the fairing remains structurally secure, just tape it up. If you want it to look 'pretty', there are some bloody strong clear tapes that you can source on the interweb-thingy. As your bike's black & yellow, some carefully placed black duct tape should work just fine.

If the crack has caused the fairing to be loose, I'd suggest drilling small holes on either side of the crack and inserting black cable ties through these to 'stitch' the crack together. If the panel's knackered and you're intending to replace it, a few more small holes won't hurt. Obviously, remove the panel first if you're going to drill through it ;)

jack_bm likes this.
  15. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

haha cheers yeah its crached and is slightly loose.. was thinking about that with cable ties but before i go drilling holes i though its best to ask if anyone has a better idea haha

16. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

well that plan lasted five miniues, was oh the phone to a friend and on the phone to a mate whos in the building trade whos also a biker telling him the master plan and turns out he has some super high strength glue and as the crack is pretty clean and tight and all touching he said he'll come put some of this on instead and that should make it hold up perfect so we'll see how that goes :)

Finchy likes this.
  17. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Make sure the stuff he uses is OK for use on ABS as some glue will melt plastics.

18. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

I lost it round a corner once due to a bit of plasic trim that unsettling the bike. Flatten coke cans are another thing to look out for.

19. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah it doenst take a lot to make that happen unfortunately, annoyingly its affected my ability in the corners like I keep taking bad lines, coming out wide etc must have lost confidence in the tyres I think.. I also occasionally tense up if its a pretty tight corner where I have to go slightly low but before It wouldnt make me blink an eye

20. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Also does anyone have any experience with HID's? not sure if i got some weather i'd be to confident installing them or would it be worth getting just one of these bulbs to see how it looks? I think this is the right one to get http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150333128866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 correct me if im wrong though, saw another gixxer with either a different bulb or HID and it looked awesom really crisp clear white colour