1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

My trip around spain.

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by gixerpaulk5, Jul 5, 2013.

1. gixerpaulk5

gixerpaulk5 Off Roader +

Ok to start with im going to apologise one for no photos being posted (some to follow later) and two for my very bad grammer.Right, now thats out the way....

At the begining of this year ive slowly been planning routes and getting my dl 650 ready for a two up trip around Spain. On my purchase list were new progressive springs , chain sprocket , full service, tires, sat nav ,scala intercoms, luggage etc.
    On the 14th of june myself and my partner Helen set off to Britanny Ferries port Portsmouth. We arrived in plenty of time for the 24hr crossing to santander,all set with the recommended sea sick tablets. The crossing was pleasant enough shame that no alcohol was consumed due to the sea sick pills but at least we could catch up on some sleep.
    We arrived at Santander the following evening , i had planned a 100 mile ride for our first nights stop in Burgos, the n623 is a recommended bike route it had stunning views and even a bit of twisty roads too. The tom tom rider 3 i purchased for the trip done its job well getting us to the Hotel i booked, i would be knackered without it as my directional skills are zero. We had time to look around Burgos for a few hours then stopped for a nice meal before a well earned sleep.
    The next day was a longer planned route down to Toledo, we hit the main A1/E5 for a hour and a half mile eater, then dropped onto the n110, sg-p-6121,cl601. the distance must have been around 250 miles, again great views ,mountain pass, hot weather 35/39 deg. It really tested the small bike, two up along with nearly two weeks of luggage. Helen was doing well on the back ,she said ' well its easy for me just sitting here' , guess the gel seat i bought was doing its job. When we arrived at the hotel in Toledo the hotel swimming pool was the main priority, luckily it only opened the previous day for the season. Then as it was only an over night stop we shooted down to check the city out followed by some spanish cusine, 'macdonalds'. Off to bed we went ready for the next day.
    It was over cast as we left Toledo ,luckily we were heading towards Ceuti a small village/town 24km away from Murcia where the sun was shining. I would like to say we found it easily but as i put the wrong address in the sat nav that was not the case. Finally got to Ceuti ,Helens cousins house, this is where we spent the next two nights, gave us time to do washing and for Helen to talk about childhood memories. We were driven to the beach on our last day with them, nothing beter than a swim in the sea.
    We set off the next day on route to Peniscola via the n330 Almansa to Requena this was another recommended road by best biking roads web site. About 5km from peniscola and we got cought in a hail storm , i was in the doghouse for not taking cover at the nearest bridge instead riding straight to the hotel we had booked, Helen soon forgave me when the warm sun came out. Time was getting on so we headed out to check the area out and grab a pizza.
    We didnt leave too early the next day as we only had 140 miles to cover to reach our next port of call, Helens uncles house near Barcelona, he was to take us through the pyrenees over the next few days.
    Unfortunatly the first hotel and route we had booked was flood damaged due to rainfall and snow melting from the moutains, we instead took some nearbye mountaing roads and then dropped down to tossa de mar for a paella and looked at the many parked up bikes. Helens uncle rides a Transalp but is obsessed with Ducatis mainly the multistrada.
    The next days were taken up covering the n260 through the pyrenees,there were so many stunning views , water cascading down the mountins right next to us. We stayed one night at Formigal a ski resort, out of season so very quiet but gave us chance to recharge our batteries.
    The trip was coming closer to the end, we travelled through into France for a few hours then back into spain to reach our hotel in San Sebastian for our last night before going to the port.
    The port at Santander on the way back was so busy, i couldnt believe all the lorries, campervans ,cars and bikes would fit on, they were nose to tail . we was on the port aven ,the newer of the two ships we went on , definatly bigger and newer , surprised that our cabin was an even smaller box room than on our out bound trip.

Yes this has given me the bug to travel more on my motorcycle, cant believe what i have been missing out on. Hope a few of you guys have read this and have managed to stay awake. ps sorry for the grammer paul

_Yappa_, JimBo, LATE and 3 others like this.
  2. Les

Les British Superbike +

Nice one Paul.:thumbsup:

3. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Great write up, Paul. I almost feel I was there too. I guess you really like Tom Toms? And, was MacDonalds different in Spain? :)

4. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Ps. Don't worry about the grammar!
    Signed,
    Grammar Nazi #2

_Yappa_ likes this.
  5. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

Top write up Paul, sounds like you had a good time :thumbsup:

Hopefully doing similar to that in August :cool:

6. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

Good write up, and I could feel the bike moving underneath me :).
    Look at that waterfaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll......

7. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Ahem. Please amend your nomenclature. Hmph. Usurper.

Panel Man likes this.