1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Helmets

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Micky, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Micky

Micky Commuter 500 +

So im thinking of treating myself to a new lid just wondering what you guys would recommend i have been looking at arai rx7 gp for the last few days online with all the diff paint scemes they do look great just wondering what the alternatives are that are comparable in style and quality maybe a lesser known brand?

Cheapest i've found so far range from £490 upwards depending on paint spec

2. guy

guy Moped +

Yoda likes this.
  3. Micky

Micky Commuter 500 +

excellent cheers i do like the crutchlow and hopkins paint jobs

4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

As Guy said in a round about way. Fit is more important than price. A poorly fitting lid costing a grand will probably cause more damage in some situations than a well fitting £100 one. Take a trip to a dealer & try some on before making a decision.

5. Davetona

Davetona Sport Tourer +

Measure your head with a tape measure then go try different lids in the correct size. Then worry about the colour scheme!

Yoda and Roadwart like this.
  6. Snowman

Snowman Learner

I bought a Shoei Qwest and it has been the best fitting helmet I have

7. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

try a few on 1st.im a medium with arai,shoie. and a small with shark and nitro.

8. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Don't forget some lids in a brands range might also be different, Arai for example use a different shape shell on the Chaser compared to like the GP.

9. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Shoei, Shoei, Shoei! I reckon you're getting Arai quality at £100 or so less!:)

10. Micky

Micky Commuter 500 +

well currently using a shark not sure on the exact model im a medium in size and its a nice snug fit the only problem i have is the wind buffeting is unreal even with earplug and its 1 thing that you cannot test in any showroom so was wondering if the higher market lids have better areodynamics thus less sound?

11. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Problem with higher lids is they end up having more vents on top and turn out to be noiser....:rolleyes:

12. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Go visit helmetcity, they have loads of lids in stock and will advise you on proper fitment.

13. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Groombridge Motorcycles in Cross in Hands, sometimes has demo helmets they allow you to take out and test. I bought my Shark from them as you could 'test ride' them before you bought. Give them a call to see what lids they have you could test...

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

As everyone says, just measure your noggin then go trying them on. Shoei are based on an asian head shape (round) while Arai is more western, but they're by no means arbitrary.

Find the right size, put it on and walk about in it for 10mins. Why 10mins? Because any pressure points won't notice right away while you're looking in the mirror at the pretty paint.

As Ducky says, more money = money creature comforts but not always less noise.

If you buy a model that has replacable cheek pads / liner, then the store should offer to let you pick the size you want at no cost.
    Ie. I have a Viper GT, small shell but with 5mm liner and 20mm cheek pads making the internal size between S and M.

Paint is nice, comfort is primary. If it doesn't fit it won't do it's job. :thumbsup:

Roadwart likes this.
  15. Micky

Micky Commuter 500 +

cheers for all the replys am going to visit my local dealers in bexhill tomorrow on way home from work to try some on after reading alot of reviews from different sources the shoei qwest is getting alot of praises for being comfy and pretty quiet which are my 2 main prio's colour scheme if any is not the main factor so failing that there is nothing wrong with all black.

16. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

If your talking about topgearsuperstore I would give them a miss if you want actual advice and someone to assure you the fit is ok

17. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

Shoei dont like my Head AGV & Arai only for me but do try them on first i also find Arai a lot louder - im a Fan of the Haga Rep though ....:)

18. guy

guy Moped +

Arais are known for being a bit loud - due to the wind passing through the visor's side pods on the sides of the helmets, but they are fantastic helmets, and with ear plugs in, the wind noise is minimal.

19. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

Yes i have 2 Mate never really wear them much now as use the AGv a lot but use one of them somtimes on track days - But i dont have Vented Visor change it and stil very Loud

20. Micky

Micky Commuter 500 +

well i finished work pretty late today so no going anywhere lol off tomorrow tho so thinking of popping upto groombridges for a littl nosey.