1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Helmets

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Micky, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Roughie

Roughie Street Fighter +

Get what you can afford to replace, too many people spend £300+ then keep the helmet far to long after knocking it bumping it dropping it banging it etc etc

Also wear the helmet for at least 20 mins in the shop before buying .... I have in the past brought a helmet then after 20 mins of wearing find it's really hurting a point on my head, and helmets are usually a non returnable item

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Yep, I love my trip too. Mine was wind noise free until I removed the visor for a proper clean & its never been as quiet since then. :(

3. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I can defnitely vouch for cheap helmets, I was wearing a helmet that cost me about 80 quid, cant remember the brand, when I went head first through someones rear windscreen at speed. Walked away without a scratch!

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

But not cheap brake pads, eh :p
    Nothing wrong with a cheaper lid at all, but windows are a lot softer than some things ;)

5. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

oh yeah, reinforced glass is baby soft and bouncy

6. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yeah, I also was reversed into at speed by a car once.

7. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

What did you crash into? The prime ministers limo! :laugh:

8. guy

guy Moped +

But would the helmet have done the job it was designed for if you'd hit the road, a lampost, a wall...?

9. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Would have done the job as they have to pass the same safety standard, might have been noisier in flight though :lol:

10. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

But thats the point, helmets have to meet a certain level of protection and £300 quid ones dont give you 3 times the protection of a £100 one. So far so good.....

11. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

There is a lot of vanity, cred and fashion involved in buying a lid, and im a victim too. As long as it looks cool and i can afford, well thats my main criteria, but saying that i wouldnt buy one without the kite mark, and after saying that ive been using my 1/2 face a lot again recently even on the CB1000 tiz much quieter...

12. guy

guy Moped +

:tup:

And psychologically, I would never trust a £80 lid to save my head and contents therein :)

13. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Yer marketing and sales people eh....
    I do love to see the cruisers in a nazi piss pot though... Chrome if possible (Viking Killer).. and a spike on top if possible although that maybe illegal.. :D

14. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

FYI: Arai came top of the JD Power helmet satisfaction survey. Might be worth a lookie see to see what else is on there