1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

How Easy Is Replacing The Clutch ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by BlackHornet, Jan 11, 2014.

1. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

while out today I noticed my clutch is slipping from about 9000 rpm quite a lot so how easy is it to swap the plates etc ?

or am I best letting a mechanic do it ?

2. Les

Les British Superbike +

I last did one about 10 yrs ago & found it really straightforward although that was an XR600 single. I think you'll be well up to doing it.

3. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

Easy matey. If you can leann the bike over to oneside... safely.... lol then you can usually get away with nit draining any oil out aswell. Obv if its due a change then dont worry about that. Only thing worth checkingnis whether the clutch cover uses a gasket or sealant and make suee you have the replacement before you start the job ;)

4. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Have you looked to see if there are any how to's on YouTube? Would be a lot easier if you could watch someone else doing it first especially if on the same bike.

5. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Why arent you using duct tape to fix it???? :whistle:

6. BlackHornet

that was just a temporary fix for today. It holds but only up to the power band then it goes a bit soft :thumbsdown:

7. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

You probably recall I did my Harley a couple of years back Tom, or rather i was shown how to do it, well i did 50% of it. It was fairly straight forward.

As Dean said, tip it on its side a bit is much better than draining the oil. If you have a manual it should be straight forward job of removing the casing. Quite probably then going to need some kind of tool to compress the plates togther whilst detaching some kind of clip holding the plates in. Then revers it. The Harley is maybe quite differant but the principle is the same. Ive got a tool that does my Harley, no idea if it will work on your bike but your welcome to have a look at it. The centre plates of my harley were totally wrecked. I needed to use a needle file to clean the 'burs'of the inside of the clutch basket before the new plates would slide in.

lammyR6 and BlackHornet like this.
  8. BlackHornet

sop it sounds easy but I need the gaskets and some new locking nuts which is a pain as I will have to order them :thumbsdown: oh well maybe I will give it a try next weekend. wants the worst that can happen :lol2:

9. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yeah, don't worry about all those left overs either.

BlackHornet likes this.
  10. yamster

yamster 125 +

hey black hornet how did you get on mine started to slip and think it needs doing .never done one im guessing by what is being said you just replace the plate (right or wrong ) and was it easy to do any tips my bike is the one in the avatar ( zx6r g1) but im guessing they cant be much difference on the range of bikes
    rich

11. BlackHornet

well I have been messing around on the hornet more than fixing the R6 but I have stripped the clutch out of the spare engine and yes it was easy. Speaking to a friendly mechanic I should just be able to swap the plates, so will be trying that as soon as I get time.

your bike should be pretty much the same, just make sure you have any gaskets etc before you start.

12. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Watch the plates, on some bikes they go in a specific order as some might be spring plates. :)

13. deano81

pretty easy on the zx6r yamster. I have a j2 which is pretty similar and piece of cake... got the Kawasaki service manual for my year in pdf format if you want it . shouldn't be that much different engine wise, different carbs etc.

14. yamster

yamster 125 +

good luck with yours going to order parts and yes gasket as well in for a penny in for a pound

ill take any help better then going blind was going to buy a manual id imagine the engines the same i think the j was just a face lift and a few bug fixes

thanks guys appreciate the help pray for a dry weekend so i can do

15. BlackHornet

i found some videos on youtube which are a lot easier for me to follow that the manual. be worth looking there as well

yamster likes this.
  16. yamster

yamster 125 +

yes watched a few tonight but id better have a piece of paper for ref to drop oil on rather than the laptop with oil droppings on, that i think that would fuel more nagging :furious:

17. deano81

lol funny enough I utilised the laser printer at my previous employer to print it all out... took awhile lol ..