1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

My Tzr250 Thread

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by fzr-paul, Jan 18, 2014.

1. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Cheers mate. I hope that if the weather is good this coming Saturday that I can get out on it. I am planning to ride it to a large 2T gathering in Yorkshire in September. The bike will see around 800 miles over three days so it needs to be top drawer. I was also suprised how easy the shock came out. That swing arm bolt was horrific to get off though!!

I am also planning to build another tzr250. I need to get a frame but then the idea is to build the faraway blue tzr250. I have a spare engine, carbs,wheels etc so maybe in a couple or three years I will have another TZR built from my parts bin.

2. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Well, I think I will stop for a while before doing anything else as I want to ride and enjoy it for a bit.

Anyway, as the rear fender was broken I got another from ebay that had been seriously cut down but other than that it was in okay condition and was cheap.
    As I took the rear of the bike apart I realised how nasty and weather worn the rear tail light frame and support were. The bits that are more exposed such as where the indicators mount were in need of painting so last night they received a couple of coats of satin black.

Here they are next to the busted and replacement fender.
    [​IMG]

Fitted to the bike.
    [​IMG]

Tidied and cleaned the wiring.
    [​IMG]

And finally the new swing arm bolt. Hopefully tomorrow I will give it a little ride around. Also, I need to buy a grease gun to get a load of grease in to the swing arm spindle.
    [​IMG]

I got all the panels back on and it looks so smart now. Even though you can't see these pieces, it just makes me feel good that underneath it looks so much better than it did a while back. Just want to ride it now.

3. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

Sometimes its just the knowing that "youve done it", that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling, dontchya think?

4. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Since I put it back together the left carb was still being a pain. Also, I noticed that there was a lot of oily residue over the front of the left exhaust collar (not the exhaust header) and the crank case on the left side.

I also felt the bike was off its game when I last rode it with a few mates. A little under powered, difficult to start and not pulling through its revs that well.

Turns out that the exhaust studs were not too tight. Really surprised by that. Did them up and then turned my attention to syncing the carbs again. I did this (I thought) when I put it back together but obviously not very well :cry2:

So, yesterday I spent a lot of time making sure that the slides were both at exactly the same height and operated at the exact same time as each other when the throttle was opened.

I must confess that I didn't realise how easy it is to totally screw up so a simple job but it seems I had been making a hash of it. I couldn't believe how minute the adjustments needed to be to get everything synced and working as it should :(

The bike now idled much more evenly, as I noticed that when I "thought" I had it set right they were actually miles out of each other. What is even nicer is the way it now rides. It is much more responsive and much quicker, almost like another 10bhp has been found. I can only assume that with the carbs so wildly out of whack of each other the power in each cylinder was all over the shop?

The acid test was to see if it started easily today. It did, so I took it for another quick test thrash. Just pulls so well now. Probably at this moment it is the best it has been in my ownership.

Still blows me away how something with just a miserly little 250cc engine can be so quick.

God I hate carbs, I just never seem to get an easy run with them :fume:

phil read and BlackHornet like this.