1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Cbf Issues (again)

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by pedrocbf, Jan 30, 2014.

1. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Hey guys and gals .. so once again my poor little honey the honda is in the shop. or will be, however i come to you in search of answers rather then a fix (warrenty job here haha)

My front tyre is consistantly going down, at first i figured perhaps a slow puncture or something as i would reinflate and be fine for a few days, i took her over to the shop last week and had the chain sprocket and new adjusters sorted and informed by honda that my tyre and front wheel was inflated and seemed to be fine .. great i thought blissfully unaware that 3 days later it went totally flat and nearly caused a off round a roundabout (only my great skill .. and a f-ing great skid saved me lol.)
    Any reasons why this is happening ? when i first got the bike the front tyre came off at about 10mph after much swearing at the dealer they admitted they had not seated the tyre correctly they apprently fixed this and on i went fine for ages then i had a "puncture" i use the " as im not sure i did tbh but they plugged it and away i went again and well ... the rest they say is history..
    Now ok granted my bikes seen better days for a 1 year old cbf but surely it shouldnt be this bad? ive just invested in a bit of time to strip clean and de-rust then a shit load of acf50 but really is this the sort of thing i should be expecting from a year old bike? Do you think this is something i can take up with honda in hopes of a full warrenty replacement bea rin mind they apprently "rebuilt my engine" and such... so now i have to take a bus in the mornings till saturday and then i have to use honda care to get it recovered to the garage in maidstone as i wont return to H's ... somebody help this poor lost dissapointed young (ish) lad :(

On another note ... Hello .. hope ur all well :D haha

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

it could be that the valve isn't sealed in that well. I've had that on one tyre so it lost about 10 psi between rides so while the tyre was fine i just had to check the pressure a little more often. The problem is any garage will inflate a tyre and unless it goes down pretty quickly they won't notice a slow leak or puncture.

You could try adding slime or something similar to see if it slows it down or stops it ?

3. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

+1 on valve or valve seating, or just a porous rim from new.?

4. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Check valve and both sides of rim with soapy water. Rinse thoroughly afterwards. If you can get wheel to a car tyre place , they will have a water tank to test for air leakage.

5. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

My thoughts, other than a leaky valve which I think is most likely, is that maybe after the "non seated tyre" incident that the rim may be damaged slightly to again stop the tyre seating 100%. You can check the valve yourself by putting some water with washing up liquid in it on & around the valve after pumping up & see if it develops bubbles.

6. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

I've had exactly the same problem with my wife's honda. The air was leaking from between the bead and rim, I cleaned the rim up, there was no corrosion on the rim at all. I put it back together still leaking so I looked on you tube how to seal leaking bead and came up with this stuff.

And it worked ok

pedrocbf likes this.
  7. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Cheers guys, ever useful as usual, Im guessing at a valve problem, however roadwarts comment about the seating issue the garage have said they have had a few CBF's back with the same problem. So over i go haha.

8. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

from what others have said regarding honda finish quality id say your year old bike is a friday afternoon job....unless of course your a "ride it without cleaning it till it dissolves" kinda guy id be questioning Honda about how long they think thier bikes should last.

9. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

In the main the bigger Hondas are fine, it is the small ones that seem to be made of cheese. There is a 50 page post on another forum where a new cbf125 owner (200 miles) noticed corrosion and the dealer lied, skirted the issue and was pants to deal with so the owner contacted honda uk and after much communication they arranged a swap for a new cbr125. There is now another thread on the same forum with another rusty cbf125. It seems quite usual for a cbf125 to deteriorate quickly these days.

pedrocbf and megawatt like this.
  10. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

so sad when the cb125's of old were and in some cases still are "solid" round town commuter work horses that could go years without any form of cleaning

11. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

My bike is subject to many hours every sunday of polishing and cleaning lubing and acf50'ing, however it still seems to be falling apart ... bloody thing, think im just going to trade it in for a car .... *sniggers* pahahahahahahahhaa yeah course that will happen lol