1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Baffling !

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by pedrocbf, Mar 21, 2014.

1. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Hello ... being a "youf" ive brought a rather loud exhaust for the cbf, my question is around the baffle, few have said its illegal to not have one in? some tell me its ok not to have it in between 11am and 11pm, some say its gotta be quiet between 7pm and 11am ??? im confuzzled .. can anyone shed some light please ? :)
    thankies
    Pedro

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Basically if the exhaust is marked "Not for Road use" its illegal with or without a baffle.

From a legal point, as part of an MoT, noise testing isn`t a requirement but taken at the discretion of the tester. My midnight star had aftermarket pipes on it & a local main dealer started it up then immediately turned it off & wouldn`t even take it to the testing bay. Whereas another tester passed it with an advisory of "Exhaust slightly noisy" which covered us both in the event of a tug from the boys in blue.

THIS LINK is to the official government guidelines.

3. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

My fireblade has a noisy exhaust but passes its MOT and my tzr has a set of racing expansion chambers and also passes. Don't worry. Your CBF will be well within noise limits.

phil read likes this.
  4. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

It's not just you youf's that have noisy exhausts us old git's have em as well, my neighbours like em and they're older than me (probably all deaf) one reckons when there noisy they sound like proper bikes.:old::old::old::old::blind::blind::blind::blind:

pedrocbf, Beelady, kitten_art and 2 others like this.
  5. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

One must agree with 'im up there ^^^......the louder the better!

phil read likes this.
  6. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

As long as it's not so loud that you could get a ticket from Mr Plod for disturbing the peace, you should be OK - I judged my baffle needed to go back in when people jumped and clutched their hearts when I pulled away from junctions in towns.

7. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I would personally deem that a major success!!

Beelady, kitten_art and RedRock like this.
  8. rbl10

rbl10 125 +

I run baffle out and simply pop it back in for MOT, but there again mine is'nt overly noisy until she reaches "full chat" so Mr Plod never bothers me.

9. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Five children so far have started crying and reached for their parent as Turmoil has rumbled by, maybe because a blip on the throttle is errrr......BRILLIANT! (in my opinion!) ;)

phil read, rbl10, deano81 and 2 others like this.
  10. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

running an aprilia falco with scorpion cans 4inches shorter than when manufactured with no baffles and a zzr1100 with 4 into 1 system and remus end can no baffles both have been mot'd and passed both have removable baffles and can quite easily be noise reduced they are not marked "not for road use" and so jobs a good un..." loud cans save lives" i almost guarantee a possible smidsy will be avoided if they hear a noise loud enough to get their attention but cant see it they will stop and take another look before pulling out

kitten_art and rbl10 like this.
  11. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Didn't work for me. :-(
    Good theory though - it might in future!

pedrocbf and Carnage like this.
  12. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Make that six.......mwahahahahahahahahaha!

phil read likes this.
  13. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

LOUDER Richard......;)

Panel Man likes this.
  14. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I took my fireblade out for the first time in a while yesterday. It has an ART exhaust with no baffle and I forgot how noisy it is. On the bike it is deafening, I don't know what it is like for bystanders - quite frankly I don't care :hah:

It makes a load of pops on the over run as it drops back past 3500rpm, so, noise all the way for me.

Anyway, we all know
    [​IMG]

Comus and kitten_art like this.
  15. phil read

Hooligan, it is loud from quite away behind, my Triumph is not too loud and my Suzuki randomly backfires for some reason. (must fix that ) mind you it did scare the crap out of :witch: one day :hah:

Beelady and fzr-paul like this.
  16. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I love the exhaust note from your Sprint' really suits the character of the bike. As for the random backfires from the bandit :eek: :10: :whoo:

Beelady and phil read like this.
  17. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Not sure if this link will work....but here is the red one (Meth) plus stubbie....doesnt really do the pipe justice but you get an idea.

phil read likes this.
  18. phil read

It just scared my cat :)

kitten_art likes this.
  19. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Sorry Phil's cat!!!
    Maybe should record Turmoil then :whistle:

phil read likes this.
  20. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +