1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

What Oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, May 11, 2014.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

going to hopfully give the bike an oil n filter change today now been look on the internet for what the best oil would be.. so heres my question 10 40 semi synthetic oil or 10 40 fully synthetic oil.. not 100% sure on thw difference but some say the fully synthetic is bad and makes the clutch slip but others swear by it after the break in period.. also this is a really nooby question but im not sure so ill ask it.. is there specific oil filters that will fit or are they a universal fitting as i know i want a k and n filter

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

A lot of it depends on the age of the bike. older bikes weren't designed to run with fully synthetic oils so it is a waste using them. more modern stuff will suit it better but more importantly is keeping the levels right and making sure it's always clean.

Carnage and lammyR6 like this.
  3. Les

Les British Superbike +

Can't help re your specific engine but I've always used fs eng/gearbox oil once run in. If others say the clutch is affected I reckon theres little difference between semi/full s so would go with semi. I was told by someone in the know that its mainly for the gearbox that semi/fully s oil is needed as the chopping motion of the cogs in a modern fast revving bike engine soon degrades it. Oil filters will be motor specific & I'd always go with Suzuki's own. For air filters I've used K&N but again you'll need to get one for your specific model, then they last forever as they're cleanable. Btw they're not daft questions at all.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Carnage and lammyR6 like this.
  4. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

thank you for the replys guys! think ill go with the semi synthetic then.

just wondering how come you'd use the Suzuki over the aftermarket I'm not to clue'd up on the whole thing so would have thought the after market was better..

Now next question with the level obviously when you do say the radiator you let it run to get rid of trapped air etc but with doing the oil do you get it to the level you want then run it for say five mins then let the engine cool again and let the oil return to the reservoir and check the level to see if it needs topping up?

Haha just want to make sure I do it right as it's first time ever doing one.. gotta start somewhere though :)

lammyR6 likes this.
  5. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

i always go on the theory of ...if in doubt..... dont, so if there are doubts about going fully syth ....stick to semi. As Les says theres little difference in lubricating qualities but various degradation differences under different uses.

jack_bm likes this.
  6. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

always fill from cold run to ensure the filter is filled then check and top off when cold again. after market is a minefield some will have improved on the manufacturers R&D whereby others will have built an inferior product with the aim of making a fast buck out of the unsuspecting buyer, research research and more research normally turns up the most common used but again if in doubt ...dont...go for OE parts

7. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay got that, seems easy enough to do :) will start looking into what filter to use I can't remember of the top of my head what's on the bike, I'll just use the same brand as whats already on there as that runs fine :) thanks for all the help again :)

8. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

definately semi on a Gixer, I had the dreaded clutch slip with fully synth on mine

jack_bm likes this.
  9. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay cheers for that will definitely be getting semi then :)