1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

M25 Speed Cameras On Finished Section M26 - A22

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by MaDProFF, Jun 7, 2014.

1. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

I drove east bound along the finished section of the southern Part of M25 A21/M26 to A22 junctions. I noticed speed camera flashes on the other side carriageway, the cameras were not yellow, but double quick succession flash, the bad news is there was no speed restrictions so straight forward speed cameras, I am sure there were some also on the West Bound.

Can't say where they are, but just warning people :(

Certainly next time I drive along there Speed camera data base will be active

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

:thumbsdown:there are loads of new ones, little grey boxes to the side of the road rather than over the top

3. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

They are set at whatever limit is showing on the overhead gantrys

4. MaDProFF

Nope, there was no gantry speed limit, I know that's how they used to work as far as I was aware on the M25, although some other motorways now have actual fixed speed cameras, now the M25 has :(

deano81 likes this.
  5. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

yep the new section of m25 without the hard shoulder now has the new cameras on and as far as im aware they are now live 24/7 unlike the older ones which only switched on when a speed limit was set

6. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

If no limit is showing on the overhead they are set to flash at the national limit of 70(or just above) and being digital they are live 24/7

7. MaDProFF

Never seem them flash at the national limit, and I have never ever been done by one, and driven through them enough times just a tad over the speed limit :p These ones are not on the over head gantry's,

8. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

they are by the side of the gantry's. they look like traffic flow camera's / cctv, but they are the new speed camera able to monitor all 5 lanes (hard shoulder as well) with one camera.
    Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 16.53.33.png

9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I was talking to my next door neighbour about these the other day. Since he stopped being a traffic officer for Surrey police, he now works for motorway control so has given me a little info on these.

1. Being digital, they ARE live 24/7
    2. Also being digital they do not REQUIRE the use of a flash, although the majority do have them.
    3. As Hoppie says, 1 camera is capable of monitoring all 5 lanes.
    4. They will be set (in Surrey at least) to the posted speed limit +10% (They have to allow for "speedo error") + 5mph

10. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

isn't it about time they raised the national speed limit on things like motorways. with modern vehicles being more tecnically advanced than when the speed was set all them years ago. this is just another excuse to earn lots of money from normally law abiding folk

Roadwart likes this.
  11. MaDProFF

I am surprised RW that they are set so low on a motorway, 82 MPH to trigger

12. BlackHornet

i know thats stupid it should be 99.9 mph and turned off after 10pm while the roads are empty but these cash cows are just to valuable to the government

13. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I didn`t set the limits, only passing on what someone "In the know" has told me. :) Some, speed cameras will flash at 70 as a matter of course as a "warning" even though you may not get the NIP in the following 6 weeks.

Well, apparently Surrey is the most lenient as most forces are 10% + 2 or 3. These are part of the so called "Smart motorway" which is supposed to keep traffic flowing by keeping speeds constant hence lowering the speed limits at certain times. By doing this, it should minimise the problem we have all encountered of someone braking sharply for a camera, causing everyone else behind to brake (usually more than required) which then compounds the bunching of the traffic that occurs anyway. Humans, as a rule, seem to be pretty crap at being able to keep a constant speed without cruise control as this low speed experiment shows...

This can only get worse as speeds increase which is why the speed limits are lowered at busy times.

14. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

there are 2 sets of cameras either side in the updated section between the A22 and the M26...they are mounted to the side of the gantrys and are just before clackett lane and between clackett lane and the M26 if your heading anti clockwise they are currently very temperamental as ive witnessed them going off almost continuously and other times ive seen people go through at well over 80mph and Nuthin ( did manage to push a Flash dickhead in an audi R8 whod been weaving in and out previously through them at over 90 and managed to anchor up myself and watch him get a nice double flash.
    They ARE live 24/7 as ive witnessed them flash with no posted restrictions on the gantries, as a personal note i think they may well be calibrating them over a few weeks /months as there seems to be no uniformity to the trigger limit at this time.
    ( Should anyone be in question of the info above i have driven that section of road almost every monday through to thursday night for the past 2 years and could probably tell you if the 4147th cats eye needs cleaning)

15. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

by the way ...it doesnt

deano81 and Panel Man like this.
  16. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

I don't understand why it took two years and untold disruption just to paint the hard shoulder black and turn a solid white line into a dashed line. I reckon my granny could have done it quicker and cheaper.

17. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

Jim your forgetting the concrete centre reservation and new emergency stop areas, new gantries and signage and probably new drainage at the road side to accomodate the new lane usage....the big question is ( and i cant answer this ...) has it made any difference to the morning rush hour jams that used to occur every day in that section.

18. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

I can answer that and generally yes it has. I travel thet way every day and it has knocked about 15-20 minute off my journey from when the roadworks were there :)

Carnage likes this.
  19. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

I agree as I travel along there at 06:00 in the morning and its much better! 7oaks to croydon runs smoothly at about 60-65mph

Carnage likes this.
  20. BlackHornet

yer but before the road works it was 30mins quicker, they have just got you used to it taking forever over the last two years.

lol new drainage i bet it floods worse than before it's been the normal crap job we have come to expect from our government. I've seen whole motorways built and opened quicker around the world than our lot can even carry out a lasting repair.

Still at least they managed to install some money making cameras while they were there :fume::fume:

deano81 and Carnage like this.