1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Road Safety Advert Using Video Filmed On Fatal Crash

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by BlackHornet, Sep 4, 2014.

1. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

pretty good answer :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong I know that it makes no difference who's fault it is it will always be the biker who comes off worst and as such we have to be much more alert than many road users and we have to try and read so many more signals than drivers, potholes, changing road conditions, white lines, diesel and 100's more. The issue with a crash like this is if bikers only blame the biker then car drivers will too and will never start to adjust their driving habits. :thumbsdown: Even if it had been 50 / 50 which is the worst percentage of blame I think anyone could put on this biker ( me I would say it was a 80/ 20 on this crash) then drivers should still be encouraged to take up some responsibility.

The other thing I said played a big part in this was the condition of the road. Had the visibility been only a couple of seconds then you can see why a driver would have to make a choice and stick with it but here he had time and space but still did what he did. Sometimes there are just accidents well combined with poor road layout.

But are you saying I didn't need to throw myself down the track yesterday just to prove my point that crashes at that kind of speed without a car involved is pretty safe :rolleyes::giggle:

2. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

id go partially with your percentages but more 65/35 ....as i think the rider could have done far more towards self preservation in the lead up to the junction as for throwing yourself down the track to prove a point ...point proven ...your a knob :hah:( luv ya really )

BlackHornet likes this.
  3. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

lost me there proff......why on gods green earth would a car slow down just because he has been overtaken?....i get overtaken plenty in the van and it has no effect on my the speed i continue at ...why would it ? unless of course i floored it and gave chase cos the other driver was being a total dick on the overtake....but slow down????? nah dont get that theory fella.

4. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Carnage, if someone slots into a gap in front of me especially a bike, quite often I ease off the throttle to make the gap big again, not saying the car braked etc. Just think in that situation with a junction ahead, a car approaching to turn and the bike going in front of me I would of taken my foot off the throttle.

5. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

It is interesting that you have come to a similar conclusion as I did when I wrote this on another forum:

Re: This may save a life :( - very sad indeed
    [​IMG]by ninjabob » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:00 pm

I am going to be a bit controversial here and say I think that court decision was hard on the car driver. Why - because it was a 60mph limit and despite the car driver indicating and being in the filter lane for quite some time the motorcyclist did not attempt to slow down for the potential/obvious hazard (using the rule that most motorcyclists use i.e. that all other vehicles on the road will try and kill you) the motorcyclist continued on at as near as damn it 100mph or 48.88 yards a second. It was said in one article I read that the car driver had seven seconds to see the rider - in that time the motorcyclist would have traveled 7 x 48.88 yards which equals nearly 350 yards. I suspect the car driver looked and the rider was far enough away for his brain to deduce (calculating at normal car speeds (60mph) that he could go ahead with the turn.

Had the motorcyclist been travelling at 60mph would he have had time to take avoiding action or would the car driver have completed the turn in front of him - we will never know.

Awful to watch and for all involved in the subsequent loss of the rider's life.

and a little later:

"Re: This may save a life :( - very sad indeed
    [​IMG]by ninjabob » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 pm

This video has gone "viral" across the biking forums. We are all debating and giving thought to our own riding compared to the eventual outcome of this tragic event. I suspect all of us have had "moments" in our riding history no matter what riding qualifications or the length of time we have been riding where we have though "that wasn't clever" I know I have - one especially always comes to mind and helps me remember that death could be a possibility.

This video reminds me that I am mortal and for that I thank the rider's family for releasing it."

Carnage and BlackHornet like this.
  6. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

I certainly agree with the scenario of another slotting in front of you one backs off a tad to re make the safety zone ..however in this case the rider overtook at speed and continued to move away from the slower moving vehicle he'd
    passed ergo the passed driver had no other reason to reduce speed other than for the approaching junction with another oncoming vehicle entering a filter lane ....something the rider really should have acted upon so i see now where your coming from and youve assumed the driver acted accordingly with his veiw of the turning car.

7. BlackHornet

I might just throw the cat amongst the bikers now.

Why has no one questioned what speed the turning car was approaching and then making the turn at ?
    As that removes every figure given on here about distance to react / stop etc as it could be halved but more than likely 30% removed but it also lengthens the distance that the biker was visible for, not so much with the car as that doesn't happen until he enters the junction ( so time wise the bikers reaction time will have now been reduced by X )

not that it really will change anything but it you did the maths based on an average car speed of 30mph ( slowing from 60 as they enter the junction to around 15 mph for the turn ) that's 14.6 yards per second so removes 88 yards (264 feet ) of the bikers reaction zone. maybe they approached quicker than the biker had allowed ???

how many of us allow for that kind of distance in our defensive riding ?

8. MaDProFF

I have looked at the car approaching and the way just just pulled across with out stopping and sauntered across the junction does make it seem he assumed nothing was coming. Once again even if he had looked right at the last second when the bike was at the junction he could have stopped

9. MaDProFF

Ninjabob do not agree with one thing you have wrote, have you even looked at the video? stop/start it frame by frame? just think you are miles out by your calcualtions

10. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

You cannot read too much into what you think you see on that video because the wide angle lenses on the sports cameras distort both distance and speed. The Fixer has given us a pretty indisputable fact and that is that the car the rider overtook did not plough into the damaged car because his/her speed was somewhat less than the rider so the riders speed was a factor. The car driver had seven seconds to see the bike so another fact has to be that the rider also had seven seconds to see the car. One thing the video does show if you watch the riders right hand is that he does not back off at all before the junction and does not even cover the brake in anticipation of the car potentially turning across him.

11. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

Why would the car plough into the accident, he was behind the bike and a car, most likely with ABS, can stop a dam site quicker than a bike...There is no reference to say if the car driver did or not have to do an emergency stop to avoid the accident. So I recon the Fixers indisputable fact is totally irrelevant.

12. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Actually you CAN see him go for the brakes. At 2:52 you can see him flick the throttle open & almost instantly shut it off & go for the front brake albeit way to late to have any effect.

13. The Fixer

The Fixer Commuter 500

By not slowing for an active junction and approaching at a speed that would meet the expectations of other road users he contributed to the collision, regardless of whatever percentages you guys want to guess at!
    Two indisputable facts : he was riding too fast for those circumstances!
    The car driver was driving and it was accepted that it was without due care!

ABS does not shorten your braking distance in fact it can extend it! All ABS allows; is for you to steer whilst under maximum braking!

14. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

And I thought that ABC stopped your wheels locking and stopped skidding, but I have now been informed by the fixer that all modern cars are far more dangerous and all the adverts are lies because my car will not stop as fast with this addition. I had best advise the General motors, Toyota, mazda etc that they are all wrong and had better remove ABS straight away and save lives

15. BlackHornet

Just to dispute your indisputable facts but as Carnage said he could have gone faster and been passed the junction thus avoiding the crash :ner:
    and to carry on with that if the car driver had been driving with due care there wouldn't have been an accident so that makes one indisputable fact :thumbsup:

There is no doubt that the bikers speed contributed to the outcome and made it worse but it didn't cause the accident hence he can only take a smaller percentage of blame.

Plus it's not all guess work i think it is more than reasonable for a car driver to be able to work out closing speeds at over 120 mph within 7 seconds after all that is the closing speed on two cars approaching each other on a single carriage way so i would expect them to be able to work out if it is safe to overtake or turn on such a road :rolleyes:. Most of the guess work involved was where everyone totally forgot to include any calculations for the drivers speed. It makes no difference if a biker can stop in 274 feet if the car coming towards them doesn't stop at all :eek:

Study the video a little more and you notice the other vehicles going away from the biker that he doesn't seam to be gaining on so again another clue to the approaching driver that it is a fast road and that should be taking into consideration.

16. The Fixer

The Fixer Commuter 500

Yes it does stop wheels locking and thus stop skidding, but as i am sure you are aware, locked skidding front wheels cannot steer! "Generally" on a good dry and level road surface it can shorthen braking distances in an emergency but this is because the majority of motorists are unable to effectively brake! Cadence braking extended braking distances to a degree but of course when you released the brake pedal the car steered in the direction of where you had put your steering input! On snow ice, loose gravel etc or a road surface with a poor co-efficent of friction it can extend braking distances!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Roadwart, deano81 and BlackHornet like this.
  17. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

What, you can't change the road condition to suit your argument. The video shows no snow, loose gravel or poor surface - So therefore I am right and you have just confirmed it.

18. The Fixer

The Fixer Commuter 500

Oh its an argument not a discussion! ok you win; feel better now? ;)

I was replying to your generalisation that ABS shortens braking distances nothing to do with the video!

19. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I don't really look at the vid, reminds me of my own fragile mortality when riding but this thread has made interesting reading.
    Everyone has an opinion whether it is correct or not. What I will say, is that if we all faced this exact situation I wonder how well we would come out of it. Would you back off, try and accelerate hard to get through a narrowing gap, brake hard.........................
    So many options, but what one would work?
    My own opinion of what would work would have been to not go so damn fast on a road that has these kind of junctions. I do ride quick at times but hand on heart I would not have seen those kinds of speeds on that type of road. Just too many risks.
    You can never rely on other road users actions to be spot on so why take the risk. For the adrenaline rush or fun, because you are late?
    Sometimes I would follow a few people down the long road between brenzett and Ashford. Speeds would get daft and I would back off. I used to get the odd comment of "what kept you???" But I never felt comfortable at those speeds for the very reason this video shows. It can go so so wrong in the blink of an eye.
    Watching that video, at 2:48 he passes the car, the Clio is just in sight. I would have been rolling off the throttle at that point and ready to react. He didn't, the throttle and speed stay absolutely constant, he is relying on the Clio driver being aware of the situation and acting accordingly - you simply cannot rely on that action to be complied with by someone else.
    It took less than a second between the throttle being rolled back and brake pulled for the hit to happen - he never gave himself a chance in my opinion.
    I put the blame more toward the bike rider. Flame me all you want but that is my opinion.

Panel Man, Roadwart, rbl10 and 3 others like this.
  20. BlackHornet

The option that would worked would rarely be the same one for each of us and would vary each time so having a few options is the best way.
    The biggest impact this video had on me is it has made me think about my blocking technique I have so often used ( either getting close to the car in front or making sure the car behind is close enough that there doesn't appear to be a gap for the turning car, the gap being me if I haven't been seen) as what that now means is I would have to somehow manage to miss those cars too :eek: I am sure I will still use it but maybe only when I know the approaching car is stopping for them :thumbsup:

While I do blame the car driver for crossing the road when is wasn't safe to do so I would still think everyone here should be thinking of the what if's and being ready. Having ridden with lots of you and sometimes spirited I would say that most of us, most of the time are more ready than this poor biker. I can think of some riders that are never ready any of the time and for the times the rest of us are off our game this serves as a reminder.

Who you think is in the right or wrong doesn't matter if you can stop it happening to you :D Then if like me you blame the driver at least you have lived long enough to turn around, follow them and then cause pain to them :thumbsup: If you think you were more at fault you still get to live to thank your lucky stars and buy a lotto ticket :thumbsup:

Just I want a share of the winnings :cash::hah: