1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Zx6r G1 Revving Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by yamster, Dec 30, 2014.

1. yamster

yamster 125 +

hi all hope you all had a good Christmas
    this could be a long one so be prepared!!!!!
    Ok was having trouble starting bike when it was cold ie pull choke on would idle for a couple of minutes then drop out would not start again with choke on however if no choke applied no revs bike started but then needed half choke to keep it running then jd have to wait a least 10 minutes to warm up or it would not idle properly once warmed up bike rode good but sometimes would cut out at a junction (not me stalling)
    now im no mechanic but have some knowledge of engines so im not afraid of having a go so after some advise ive taken upon myself to have a play now what Ive done is taken the carbs off and replaced the rubber inlets they seamed soft so thought there might be a small crack in didn't sovle problem so off they come again and was told could be float valve sticking so with manual in hand took apart number 2 was abit sticky others were ok took all out and soaked in carb cleaner for about 10 minutes put back together installed back on bike now Ive got a new problem started bike up idles at 1300rpm when i rev it the revs hang at whatever rev then drops if i turn the idle down to 900 still does it my first though the carbs are out of sync now Ive freed up sticky valve ive attached a carb sync and there fine so now admitting im getting out of my depth now so anybody got any ideas ive got the rest of the week to try and sort as need bike to get to work next week the bike revved fine before i took float valves out i always check 2 or 3 time to make sure what ive taken apart if fitted back correctly so im sure thats ok not touched anything else in the carbs
    if you havent fallen a sleep one more thing
    Happy new year to you all roll on the nice weather
    Rich

2. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Where are you Rich? PM yer number for a chat?

3. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

carb icing ? that era of ZX6Rs are prone to it

have a google and see if your symptons are the same

Silkolene FST sorts it :thumbsup:

4. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

replace the idle jets and float valves, check and double check the float heights. what you have described is very similar to a problem i have had with a zxr400 and a zzr 1100 ...all the cleaning in the world doesnt work but i got much improved results with both bikes by doing the above. after that id look at a session with HM Racing on a dyno ...they are brilliant at sorting fuelling issues.

yamster likes this.
  5. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I guess you have checked the throttle cable releases and is not binding?

If that is okay then I would be looking at a possible air leak. Had this on my TZR and it drove me mad pinning the fault down. Revs would hang and sometimes climb on their own. I had taken the carbs apart for cleaning and even though I had what I consider to be a damn fine seal of the gaskets, i.e. no fuel leaks, it was enough to allow extra air to be sucked in.

yamster likes this.
  6. yamster

yamster 125 +

cheers for the replying ideas
    carnage sounds possible being i took the float valves out to clean but ive no idea how to check or adjust

fzr paul ive replaced the inlet rubbers if anything ive over tightened them the only other thing that i can see would have a seal would be the float bowl which has rubber gaskets which seam to be ok so didnt replace as for the throttle cable ive disconnected and just revved using the throttle on the side of the carb still does it so i can rule that out

i took carbs off yesterday as i read could be pilot jet could be incorrect now im really getting out of my depth (ie anit got a glue what im doing) and i could be making things worse but took them out counting how many turns they all look clean put back in counting how many turns put all back together thought while its on the bench id have a look at the diaphragms which all ive done was to take the cap of and found there crinkled quite bad i have not taken out just took cap off and replaced i sprayed a little carb cleaner around the throttle a choke mechanism installed back on bike same issue im seeing on the right side is a black electrical connector and thinking it could be a throttle sensor (looking at a diagram for cradley kawasaki website ) could this be an issue but to replace this ive got to take the blooming things off again and there a right pain :stomp:
    it must be something ive done or damaged revved ok before ,was just starting issue which does now sound like late said carb icing

thanks for help

rich

7. yamster

yamster 125 +

not sure how you pm (never used it before )but im in seaford the bike rides just have to watch the revs (not ideal but was just a test ride)

8. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

To start a.pm click on the users avatar and select start conversation.

9. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

did you remember to put all of the o rings etc back when you put it all together? have you knocked the screw that determines the revs on the carbs? it doesnt take much on some of these to move it are the diaphrams sealed all the way round in the little grooves, if they are not as they are crinkled that could let air in also

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  10. yamster

yamster 125 +

ok sorted
    third day of trying forth time taking those carbs off thought id go back to the beginning those rubbers took inlets off made sure made sure all was clean and low and behold on cylinder 3 was a small piece of crud just nipping the o ring pulled o ring out to make sure was not damaged put everything back to together starts and the revs drop as they should .....few
    thanks for help and advise
    and megawatt sorry for not contacting but think i might of been in the next hour if this didnt solve the problem
    rich

Carnage, fzr-paul and deano81 like this.
  11. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Not familiar with this bike at all. Did the pinched O ring cause in effect an air leak?

12. yamster

yamster 125 +

i guess so but i cant prove mate but at a guess i found this piece or crud cleaned up all four inlets better than the first time put bike half back together but not over tighten the carbs to inlet (used a make shift fuel tank} well as much to get life let it tick over once warmed up gave a couple of blasts reved ok fitted all back together took for a spin all ok

13. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Feels great when you solve these issues. :thumbsup:

yamster likes this.
  14. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

well done fella.

yamster likes this.
  15. yamster

yamster 125 +

:TY: people appreciate your time ,advise and help :rubhands::bike: