1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Genuine Dry Miles...

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by R1 Chickie, Aug 17, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

right, given that we live on a rainy little island, I dont know how a) this is possible and b) how anyone can guarantee it. I cant count the number of times Ive headed out on what seemed like a really nice day only for it to turn and I get caught in torrential downpour. My bike had this in its ad and it didnt make a difference to me so pardon my ignorance, what is the benefit of only buying a "dry miles" bike and is there any way you could even check this????

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I don't think you could check for this really :unsure: as there will always be water marks behind the fairings from when you wash the bike. I suppose it could just mean that the bike is that much cleaner underneath from not being used on wet roads, no built up road grime, corrosion on the engine/downpipes etc.

Yoda likes this.
  3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

What a load of monkeys, I can't stand that on adverts. Worst case it means it was ridden by a right pussy who didn't run it in with any balls and now you've got an underpowered engine. (I'm sure yours is fine)

Being clean, just means it's been cleaned. Never buy a bike off Chris! :p

Another downside is that fair weather riders don't have need to thoroughly clean their bikes as often meaning small problems / degenerations can go unnoticed for long periods and become larger issues.

Less use can also mean less maintainance, oil and other fluids plus tyres go 'off' in time whether they're used or not.

4. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Lol, well it may be clean but a bike that's used in the wet and parked up afterwards, is sure to show more corrosion behind the fairings than one that isn't. :)

Yoda likes this.
  5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

That's the point though, isn't it. It's not when it's used, it's how it's treated. Washing your bike with the hose and polishing the fairing will have the same effect if you don't dry the metal bits ;)

6. Steve B

Steve B Street Fighter +

Sorry did someone mention cleaning your bike... Must be something that got lost on me. I just ride the fecker

deano likes this.
  7. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Could be the owner is a recovering alcoholic who used to ride pissed? :D

Steve B likes this.
  8. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

Why buy a bike if you're not going to ride it?? I see the 'Sunday bikers' here in Brighton and the first sign of rain they either take cover or p**s off home early :laugh:

My old ZX9R was ridden in EVERY kind of weather over the 3 years I had it (even snow which I had never ridden in before). Never gave it any of that ACF treatment, and when I sold it a month ago you honestly wouldn't have known it; it looked like it had done 5K and not 41K. I could have sold it as 'never ridden in the wet' and got away with it!

****EDIT****

YES!!!! I read the first post wrong.... how can you prove it had never got wet??? You can't....

9. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I suppose if it was Winter it would make a difference, what with all the road salt etc. :)

10. Les

Les British Superbike +

Maybe it says more about the owner than the bike?

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Neatly editing out the first line of the post that completely negates your statement? /facepalm. ;)

"It's not when it's used, it's how it's treated." - Ride in crappy conditions, clean the bike.

12. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Lol, I always edit my replys to save space :D we're talking about not cleaning the bike and if you left it wet after a winter ride and wet after washing it...the winter ride would ruin the bike more. :)

13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Not exactly, as the edited part negated your point :p It's not when the bike is ridden, It's how It's treated.

Trying to steer back on topic, the statement "Dry miles only" is no guarantee of anything.

14. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

i dont think you should take it literally, i would say it means, brought out now and again and not used as a commuter

or it could be he didnt piss himself

and you two take your argument elsewhere :sfight:

Yoda and deano81 like this.
  15. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yaawwwnnnn:geek:;)

16. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

My Ducati was 100% dry Miles and Only 3000 Miles From new in 7 Years - That Never Ever Had a Wet Wash Also - But you could see this when you looked at it... But still did not stop Me droping it .... i think you need to take the Dry Miles only with a Pinch of Salt as i will not ride in Rain thhink its Pointless but we all get caught in a Shower or 2 a little like last night .