1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Wrong Side Of The Road

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by sideways, May 11, 2015.

1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I did remove it myself.

I stand by everything I wrote, but when you have self proclaimed experts who clearly know all there is to know about riding (and good for them as they obviously know more than me) I see no point in putting up anything. and it also goes to prove that I was wrong to even think about returning to this forum.

2. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and I welcome them even if i don't agree with them.
    What I don't like is not being able to see what those opinions are if there have been responses to them.

Not addressed to you personally T.C. as I don't know you. But think you should stay and contribute.

3. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I second that Jimbo. I personally found T.Cs post interesting because it gave some background as to how things have started up and also been adapted. Everyone knows that traffic/road conditions have changed over the years and I for one would be surprised if advanced riding etc did not also have to adapt. Just like first aid courses that have altered every few years when new methods/issues come to light.

I do think that when a debate is being had on a forum - telling someone that they "talk a load of bollocks" is not really a positive nor helpful approach to it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you have a counter argument then it would have been better put without verbally dissing the person you are debating with.

Eagle, MrGreen, JimBo and 2 others like this.
  4. JohnA

JohnA Street Fighter +

I found it an interesting and factual post - bit surprised that it raised such furiore.
    Shame it was deleted - now what, should we tread carefully around the 'riding techniques':nono: subject placing it next to 'politics' and 'religion':scared:?

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    lammyR6 likes this.
  5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

T.C you should re post you huge long list of accreditation's :) was quite amusing :)

6. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I must say I`m pretty disappointed with the way this thread has degenerated. :mad: Bikers are supposed to be a friendly bunch who help each other, be it with mechanical help or sharing riding tips & experience.

Irrespective of what any member(s) (as an individuals) think of anyone elses qualifications, the fact of the matter is that some people on here have had more training & experience than others. If said person(s) wish to share that knowledge, I think we should be grateful for them taking the time to do that even if you choose to not act on it.

Just out of interest, how many people here have done ANY extra training or had a riding assessment since passing their test?

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  7. sideways

sideways Moped

I apologise for using the word B------s but I do not comment on other riders riding styles good or bad. It is a bit like politics and religion and can be a touchy subject. I have 49yrs experience in four Police Forces and could not list all my qualifications but enough said. I will not be posting on here in the future.

8. Roadwart

@sideways Apology accepted.

My last post wasn`t aimed at you, or anyone else in particular but a statement to the user base in general.

As I`ve already said, forum debate & discussion is positively welcomed provided its kept friendly.

9. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

What a very interesting read! Just shows how different we all are from riding ability to opinions. Surely we all ride how we feel comfortable with and we should all be sticking together not having little digs at each other, us bikers are bad mouthed enough by the public and press. I wonder what Joe public (or even the long arm of the law) would think if they were behind a biker who crossed over the other side of the road? Joe public would probably think 'irresponsible rider' or 'look at that lunatic on the wrong side of the road' perhaps? As for the law would they think 'now there's a qualified rider' or perhaps 'ooh riding with undue care and attention' what ever!

As previously mentioned... ride to enjoy yourself but more importantly ride safely.

Eagle, lammyR6, sideways and 3 others like this.
  10. sideways

sideways Moped

Well put Fergy. Not all Police are advanced trained and some are worse drivers/riders than the average person due to cutbacks and other priorities varying from Force to Force.

11. MrGreen

MrGreen Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

:disco::disco::disco:
    Was getting too serious..

lammyR6 likes this.
  12. sideways

sideways Moped

I still say that offsiding is still part of advanced Police training and the roadcraft manual has hardly changed over the years. The rider uses roadcraft and adapts his/her riding to suit the circumstances on the day.

Roadwart likes this.
  13. Roadwart

Joe public would probably think that. Even without crossing the white line, It`s been mentioned to me about bikes "Weaving about all over the road" when all they are doing is riding to left on a right hander & towards the white line on left handers.

What the boys in blue think, I would suspect, would depend on how they crossed the centre line. Moving out on a straight for a look before committing to an overtake, staying out after taking a single car to see if its on for a second overtake or moving out to the extreme right with a view to overtake on a left hand bend? 3 different scenarios with the potential for 3 different views of the riding.

14. sideways

sideways Moped

Be safe and stay on the left except abroad but remember the bike is more stable upright

15. Roadwart

But then you have situations such as moving to the right to make yourself more visible to cars emerging from the left. This also positions you further away from a potential driver pulling out on you. So many factors to affect why you would/could/should change position. Maybe we should be looking to riding as an artform rather than as a science?

16. MaDProFF

I have not had any extra training since passing my test, suppose that makes me a crap rider, and I know "Nothing"

17. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I've passed the IAM test and I know I'm a crap rider.

Amancalledrob, rbl10 and lammyR6 like this.
  18. MaDProFF

lol. Megawatt

19. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

I passed my CBT twice :)

gbrand42, Roadwart and megawatt like this.
  20. Roadwart

Thats not what I said or was implying but you have to admit to the possibility that current riding practices could have changed since you took your test. For example, when most of us passed our car tests, we would have failed for crossing your hands even once. These days, its allowed provided its not done excessively. Some could argue that it is people who do no extra training are the ones that are the "know it alls" as they don`t feel they need any further training. There`s always at least 2 ways to look at it. :shrug: