1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Anyone aware of problems with the RC8?

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Les, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Les

Les British Superbike +

Having probably written off his gixxer 750 last night near the Ace cafe, my son (GixxerJeff on here) is looking to replace it. He's thinking of KTM's RC8 having already had a test ride however, I seem to recall a gearbox problem with them but can't find anything written about it. Any knowledge from the forum will be appreciated.

2. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

Never heard of gearbox problems myself have heard that fast riders can have ground clearance issues though :)

Have u searched on KTM forum ???

3. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

What, the black one?
    Was it because it was dirty? Hope he's okay matey.

4. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

I think Ducky posted regarding gearbox probs.

5. Andygap

Andygap Guest

A friend had one a two years ago and it had to go back to ktm with a known about recall but the ktm reached the whole engine in the end!!!

6. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yup, that black one. Slipped while having to brake from about 20 mph, on a tight bend over a sunken strip of tarmac across the road so nobody else involved. He's ok :) which is the main thing. I checked the RC8 forum but found nothing specific.

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

that sucks as for a gixer that was a nice looking bike, glad he is ok :thumbsup:

might be worth speaking to Hanna as i think she is lined up to test one this week so maybe they could pull one apart to find any faults :rubhands:

8. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

A mate of mine had a problem with his - it got nicked recently! Don't think he had it long enough to have any problems with it, but he's getting another.

9. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

I've not heard a lot of good things with the RC8 but have been told that the RC8R has sorted a lot of the issues... Ducky is a good one for more details but I'm pretty sure he said to steer clear of the RC8.

10. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Yup, RC8 is notorious for teething problems with the gearbox and some other items, these were addressed in the RC8R and was one of the main reasons it was released.