1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Jim's freebie Winter Hack, Work has commenced!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Jim, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Pain In The Arse! :thumbsup:

2. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

pain in the ass jim ;) . yup why they couldnt just hav an off position on the tap and have the tap attached to the tank i dont know.. design flaw somewhat

3. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

PITA = Pain In The Bottom :)

4. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

It's the way the tank sits on the frame rail I guess, which means the tap has to be remote from the tank and fixed to the frame itself. They could of course have used an electric reserve tap like I had on my old FZ750.

5. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

PITA , pain in the arse mate.

6. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

TY! I'm so innocent (or stupid)

7. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

AHAHAHA! It passed the MOT! Dodgy front brake light switch but the fella let me fix that while I was there, oh and I needed a reflector!

Ducky and Roadwart like this.
  8. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Well done Jim

9. deano81

im guessing you got the issue sorted?

10. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

which one lol, got it back in the shed at the moment trying to sort out the fuelling thing, in fact just logged on to have another look at your diagram!

11. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Where's the picture gone?

12. deano81

thought you had sorted the fuel issue lol. as for the pic both of mine are still there... as far as i know the vaccum pipe will be on the back of the petcock..

13. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Yeah checked it all out and it as the diagram suggests, so bit flumoxed again, it was Chelskitels pic I couldn't find but I downloaded your manual and was able to ID where everything went. Wonder what is causing it?

14. deano81

check the routing of th hose just in case it's kinked/trapped, if not the diaphragm could be misbehaving in the petcock...

15. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Only just noticed I'd missed the fun.
    Pull the tank off and even out / replace the fuel line you've kinked in putting everything back together ;)

Failing that and I'm guessing here not knowing where 'prime' is situated on the tap, but is the turny bit attached correctly? Ie. is it saying prime but it's actually at 'on' ?

16. deano81

the gs only has main, prime and reserve , no off position. pretty sure the lever is keyed too

17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

If it's totally non-putoable the wrong way, the I'm going with Jim's reassmebly pinching a line.

Just to confirm (as I don't have a picture of the set up) if there's a prime / res / on then there's 3 lines? or is the prime just a larger appature?
    If prime is a larger appature then you may have thinned your mix too far.

18. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Wonderd where you'd gone Dave, fortunately Deano has been very knowledgeable in your abscence!
    There's no kinked lines, I was very careful about this when I put it back together. A thought though! I have had very little petrol in the bike when I've been testing it, is it possible that there was so little that neither the 'on' or 'reserve' pipe was picking up enough fuel to run the bike for any length of time but that in the prime position fuel could still get through from the very bottom of the tank? It ran out completely tonight i.e the engine started to cut out through there being barely a drop left, I nipped out and got a jerry can filled the tank up and it ran again with the tap set on prime as per usual. I didn't try and run it in the 'on' position so tomorrow, now with a good half a tank of fuel in it, I think I need to run her up again with the tap at 'on' and see if the problem is cured? Could it be that simple? Lets hope so!

19. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I don't rightly know how prime setting works on the carb, having never seen one before. But I'd guess that it is just a wider appature to allow more fuel in so the carb becomes charged with fuel.

If the tank was low on fuel then any downward pressure would be reduced, hence the kink suggestion. Under a more full tank the weight of fuel would allow the fuel to pass any blockage/restriction. Are the hoses clear and unobstructed from gunk and general crap?

Assuming that there's no blockage, everything is connected correctly I'd be hedging for the mix being over reduced. When it's off prime there's just not enough getting in per unit of air.

Of course all this is circumstantial based on how the prime setting actually works. :x3:

20. deano81

2 outlets from tank one main one reserve, both are are closed off with diaphragm until vaccum is applied or pressure whichever .. then fuel flows to carb. the prime setting is a straight through set up which feeds fuel via gravity to the carbs in cases where i has been completely emptied r wintered up etc.. so no, no special aperture for the prime setting. is just that the prime setting on the tap bypasses the vaccuum operated diaphragm and lets fuel flow via gravity.. unfortunately i think due to the way the carbs are setup means they flood if left on that option