1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Who Has Their Rear Wheel Balanced ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by hoppielimp, Jul 29, 2016.

1. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I know there are a few tyre people out there who say you don't need to balance your rear wheel and only balance your front, but do you insist and do they balance it for you ?

I know for the single swing arm brigade, tyre shops don't generally balance rears because of the foresaid lack of requirement, but probably because when push comes to shove, they don't have the appropriate adapters...

So...do you balance your rears (tyres) ?

2. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

I balance the front and rear when i change my tyres but some people say they don't balance the rear.

3. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Pretty sure they balance the rear when I have my tyres done at Everest

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Worthwhile having a look...to see if you have weights, as it is pretty rare to find an un-weighted balanced wheel. I know I have had quite a few rears changed that haven't been balanced (including at Everest - but that maybe because he didn't have a an adapter for the Beemer). I have a newly acquired balancer at home and I took one of my rears off and it required 20g weight.

So will be balancing the others...as I'm sure it doesn't do your bearings any good, even if you don't feel any vibration or wobble through your glutes... :)

5. Vitesse45

Vitesse45 Street Fighter +

:eek:What!!! :eek:mine have always been balanced! Back and Front!! no matter where I have taken the bike they have always done both, mind you I always watch them do it:bike:
    I have never heard of this before :eek:
    There must be a few dodgy handling bikes out there!:(

6. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

I always have both wheels balanced. Can't see why you wouldn't.

Vitesse45 likes this.
  7. Eagle

Eagle Custom cruiser +

:confused: I have always taken it for granted that balancing the wheel front and back was part of having the tyre fitted and I am sure the place I use do it without being asked, but now I am going to have to check the wheel for weights when I get home. I do wander what said tyre fitter would say if someone suggested their car wheel did not need balancing and surely balancing a vehicle with 1/2 the wheels is twice as important! :shrug: but hay what do I know?

8. RedRock

RedRock Street Fighter +

I get front and rear done, there are places that don't have any weights and never balance wheels as I found out last time I had a rear tyre fitted. It felt horrid for many miles and I kept checking the wheel alignment!

9. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

As I can fit & balance my own tyres I always balance back wheels. I check the bare wheel balance first before fitting the tyre, then only fit weights where necessary

[​IMG]

10. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

My tyres have always been balanced. Why would you not balance them?