1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Re-commissioning Woes...

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Lightweight, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

Why do I bother?
    Decided to get the KLR out so I can clean up the Tiger. I've already given it a good service, so what could possibly go wrong?
    Took it up the road and found I had no back brake so went home and bled it, still no brakes. Then I took the caliper off and turned it upside down and bled it, seemed to work.
    Out I go again and realised I've got no speedo or brake light with the front brakes. Back home I go..
    Front wheel off, speedo drive faffed with and reassembled. I had a new front brake light switch so I went to unscrew the old one and the screw snapped off - unfortunately it's mounted on the front brake reservoir so I take the reservoir off and stick on a spare I had lying around. This means I can't mount the o/s mirror but it'll do while I get the broken screw out of the original, right?
    So, I bleed the front brake and head out again. Halfway to Folkestone the front brake starts pouring out smoke, it's jammed on and over heated!
    Stop and have a smoko while it cools down then head home again (stopping twice more to let it cool down).
    Remove front caliper, strip it down, clean it up and reassemble and refit. Get my gear back on and realise that the starter solenoid has packed up.
    Put a cover over the bike and go for a cuppa....

Beelady, james port and BlackHornet like this.
  2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

I know that feeling
    Every five minute job I do goes like that.

3. Lightweight

The saga continues...
    Drilled out the screw in the brake fluid reservoir and swapped them back over, suprisingly painless process!
    Changed the starter solenoid, doesn't appear to have made the slightest difference. Every now and then you hit the starter and nothing happens - I've tried rocking it in gear in case it's a sticky starter but that's not guaranteed to succeed either. No idea what that is, might have to write it off as 'character' and live with it.
    One rear indicator stopped working. Played with the wires, checked the bulb, cleaned the contacts up, still no dice.
    Disassembled half the bike to get to the wiring, swapped left for right and it works! Reassembled the bike, refitted the offending indicator and it works perfectly for no reason that I can see - can bikes laugh at you?
    I think this one might be....
    Anyway, ready for the MoT now

lisa lou, Panel Man, Beelady and 3 others like this.
  4. Lightweight

Ha!
    MoT passed....I win (this time)

Beelady likes this.
  5. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

That's A good feeling