1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Found the PERFECT riding road

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by R1 Chickie, Aug 29, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

A357/A3030 from the A350. Really picturesque country roads that go up and down hill with lots of twisties but then also some sweeping bends. Great surface and very few cars, had it pretty much to myself in the morning. And there is one point where you come over this really high crest where you can do a little take off and then this view opens up in front of you. If you are ever in Dorset, do a little detour

2. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

Long time since I went to Dorset.... would love to get down there before the years out; I believe Poole has a big bike meet..

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

long way to travel but if it's that good it could be worth it :p

4. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

throw in a ride through the New Forest via Beaulieu and Ill give you the name of the bnb with the hottub and youre onto a winner :)

5. chelskitel

chelskitel Learner

The bike meet at Poole quay is tuesday nights and a stop off at the Sammy Millers museum is a must if you are in the New Forest.

6. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

If you were down there, did you try Zig Zag Hill, on the B3081 between Shaftsbury and Sixpenny Handley?

If you're ever headed for the West Country and have had your fill of the M25/M3/A303, there's an alternative route via the M27... it's not ballistically fast riding but tough, technical and twisty - if you enjoy bends it's a great route.

Come off at J1 and turn onto the B3079, then fork left at Brook onto the B3078. A couple of miles on, stay on the B3078 (towards Fordingbridge). There's a speed limit but it takes you straight across the top of the New Forest so it's worth it to enjoy the views.

Continue on the B3078 towards and through Cranbourne, then turn right onto the B3081 to Sixpenny Handley, descend Zig Zag Hill (it's officially Britain's twistiest road, though quite how they work that out I have no idea) and into Shaftsbury.

Continue out the other side of Shaftsbury, still on the B3081 (via Gillingham) and you pick up the A303 between Mere and Wincanton thus missing out the bit with most of the hold-ups near Stonehenge.

There's also an excellent "A303" avoidance route a bit further up... going the other way (ie back to London)

Leave the A303 at Mere and turn onto the B3095 to Kingston Deverill. At Longbridge Deverill, take the unclassified straight ahead through Sutton Veny. Turn right briefly onto the A36, then come off to the left onto the B390 via Chitterne to Shrewton. You can either run a couple of miles down the A360/A344 and pick up the A303 at Stonehenge or if traffic is really bad, you can continue on the B3086 and then an unclassified past Bulford Camp and pick up the A303 just after the Countess Services and after it goes dual carriageway.

7. niki

niki Off Roader +

the roads in the New forest are brillaint for riding the bike just don't get distracted be the view and wild life or you can get a bit of a brown pant experiance.

oh and don't take ben with you cos there is loads of hedges and we all know how he likes playing hide the bike in them

8. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Rats, I was going to the B3078 but the weather was so unpredictable that I just wanted to get back from Sherborne quickly.