1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Scottoilers: are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by R1 Chickie, Sep 8, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Im really rubbish at remembering to oil my chain as regularly as I should but it still lasts 2-3 years. Is that normal or should I get a scottoiler?

2. gland

gland Off Roader +

scotoilers are supposed to be great and lengthen chain life.I have one on my current bike (it was on it when i got it). However it seems a bit tempremental and only works when it feels like it.probably me not priming it right mind

3. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Get a shaft or belt drive. Problem solved! :thumbsup:

I`ve heard very good reports of them & the main problems seem to be people setting it wrong & ending up with oil being flung off the chain onto the bodywork.

kitten_art likes this.
  4. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I dry ptfe my DID Gold X ring chain after every rideout or 200 miles. Been on for 20,000 miles. Who needs a Scotoiler.

5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Tanya does, because she's awful at... well anything non riding related (bit like Tom actually).

Scottoilers are excellent, you should buy one! That said you should check your oil, water and tyre pressures also, but we can but dream.

P.s. Scottoilers don't mean you don't have to adjust the chain, just so you know ;)

6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I do check my tyre pressure, that Im good at. For everything else, there is a light. But yes, it would be one less thing for me to remember and for you to complain about :-P

7. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

You would have to remember to top the oil reservoir up?

8. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

Chain oilers ARE worth it. You can get easily 30-40k* out of a chain used through the winter months, and I've had 50k out of a couple - the sprockets wore out first!

Where they REALLY pay for themselves are on rides in the rain, partic if they are long ones or when you're commuting, leaving in the dark and getting home in the dark when you really don't want the hassle of putting the bike up on a paddock stand and cleaning and oiling the chain - you just turn them up a bit and they keep the chain oiled. They also have a big advantage over aerosol lube in that they keep the chain clean, at the expense of a bit of oil on the rear wheel.

You do have to make sure the Scottoiler is properly primed and you need a smidgin of technical knowledge to plumb one into the inlet vacuum, and you also have to check the flow rate in v hot weather - a mate of mine rode down the motorway to the Pyrenees and covered the back of his bike with chain lube because he hadn't checked the flow rate.

You can get a large "touring" reservoir for the Scottoiler which basically means you don't have to worry about topping it up for weeks on end. I have a Motrax electronic oiler on the Hornet and that generally gets filled up once/twice in the spring / summer / autumn and two-three times in the winter. The cheapy Tuturo oiler I have on the Divvie normally needs filling up every week or so.

* That's at least the same as a belt and a chain is FAR easier to change (worth noting it's further than some BMWs have been known to go before needing a new bevel box so rather cheaper too :) ). I tried ceramic chain lube when it first came out and it was OK so long as it was dry but as soon as the roads were wet it just washed off.

9. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Frankly, the list is so expansive it would help to slim it down, honey :rofl:

10. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Yes, if they're set up well, mine was good but a mate had nothing but hassle. I now have a Tutoro oiler like Spin's but this requires you to remember to turn it off and on every time you want it to work or you end up with a little puddle of oil under your bike all the time and and empty cylinder, but it is only £20 to buy one!

11. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

i had one on me zzr, i asked Dave Fox (a local kwaka dealer) to top it up when it went in for a mot, went for a ride out the following day and the whole back wheel was covered in oil and the scot oiler empty, so i dont trust them or the dealer

12. Duncyc

Duncyc 125 +

I have one fitted to my ZZR, only just bought it. It is all automatic and as yet (only done 70miles) it seems to be working fine

13. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

I've got one fitted to my XJR it's been on since i got the bike (2002) and not had any trouble with it, i would recommend fitting one, i have adjusted the chain twice in all that time, if you can afford it go for the newer e range which are electronic and far more efficient.
    I would fit one to the B King but there's nowhere to put it without it looking unsightly.:thumbsup:

14. Les

Les British Superbike +

Get a man...oops :eek: you tried that. Anyway, get an oiler Tanya, if you're as rubbish at maintenance as you say. Although I was pretty good at remembering to oil it, the Scotoiler allows you to 'forget' it for a while once set up right. Had one on most bikes & as others have said it seriously extends chain life. 9r I had managed 25k miles on 1 chain/sprocks.

15. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ah, B Kings, mmmm, they are so lovely. Manly but pretty bikes

16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Actually, I've sussed it out!

If you fit your chain to other side of the swing arm, next time it's serviced and massively over filled with oil the excess will leak onto the chain rather than your boot. Simples :D

Rhino likes this.
  17. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

Or a life?:)

ramrider likes this.
  18. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

I had one on my TDM850 years ago and I never had to change the chain OR adjust it. Amazing bit of kit.

I had one on my ZX9R and it was bloody useless. There was more oil over the bike than on the chain no matter how I adjusted the flow, so I junked it.

Am in two minds about putting one on the new bike. Would have to to find somewhere to put the reservoir so its hidden but easy to top up ; not a lot of room under the seat. Plus this bike has FI so it probably connects under the tank in a different way and I'm bound to **** it up.

For now I think I'll stick to the chain cleaner/rag/toothbrush/lube. Can be quite therapeutic.....

ramrider likes this.
  19. big mark

big mark Guest

yamaha clear chain lube works fantastic. dont fancy covering my back tyre in oil. scot-oilers just not reliable enough for me. 18000 miles one chain about £100, i think thats quite cheap motoring.

20. sara-gaz

sara-gaz 125 +

My sv had one. was great! It went un for a second service and the guy said the chain was in fab condition. thumbs up from me!!!