1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Scottoilers: are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by R1 Chickie, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

depends on how you like your bike to look.....if your not too worried about appearance and can deal with the rear wheel / rear plastics/ number plate blah blah blah looking like they have just stepped out of a gushing oil well .....crack on and fit it.
    Buuuuut if you like your bike looking a little closer to pristine then im afraid your looking at getting into the habit of lubing it,
    personally i try to do mine straight after every ride as i put it away while the chain is still warm .....quick squirt of chain cleaner ...wipe over with a rag and then either a quick lick of scott oiler oil straight from the bottle ( i get to control how much:cool:) or as a very quick step she gets a quick coating of WD40....had the same chain now for around 2 years and its still gold in colour and only needed adjusting once so far.........(now ive said that watch that fooker stretch to its max in about 3 miles :rofl:)

2. Conrad

Conrad Street Fighter +

I rate them and have been using them for 14 or so years, bit fiddly to set up, to high and lots of bike cleaning to lowa and nothing, a bit of trial and error, bit like my life, but worth it

3. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

Just bought one for the BKing at the MC show as i also had to buy chain and sprockets after just 2500m and after a bit of research on the scotoiler site i found that you can hide the resovior out of site, so thats my task for this morning.
    Oh and as a footnote to my previous comment i bought a V model as there is around £200 difference between that and the electronic one. :cash:

4. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

BKing ....mmmmm.....yum yum. Love them :)

5. Les

Les British Superbike +

2.5K miles? That's some hard riding to need it so soon even if seldom lubed. Got 18K from a zx6 C & S with a scot & that was pretty 'progressive' use.

6. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

You needed new c&s after 2500 miles.!!!!!!! Did you run a dry chain?????

7. gland

gland Off Roader +

you do know you can adjust the chain when it stretches dont you???

Nigel and Les like this.
  8. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

In answer, no i didn't run a dry chain, it was lubed after every trip, but i did fail to clean it ! the sprockets have hooked really bad as Suzuki use real shite ones on the B King, and yes i do know that you can adjust a chain i have done this 4 times so far.
    So i have opted for DID extra heavy duty gold chain and sprockets and will fit the scotoiler and hope for the best, as i never had any of these issues with the Busa i had before.

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I always buy DID X ring Gold. This one has done 25,000 miles!!!

10. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I had a ScottOiler on the Tiger and it worked well... but even though it was set-up properly did tend to spray a little excess sticky gunk all over the rear wheel / swinging arm. The ZX9 had one on when I got it, but I've taken it off as I got fed up with the mess.

I quite enjoy lubing the chain etc as it gives me the motivation to check other stuff like chain tension / tyre pressure / coolant etc etc, but then I'm a sad git like that (and I do like things to be very clean).

11. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

If you're a lazy sod then yes it's a good investment, they do make a chain last.....and I've known long milage chains with them, but you still have to clean it at times......oil obviously good but, dust and crap sticks to the chain and acts as a grinding paste....and you do get some 'fling' over the rear wheel /tyre.
    If not lazy then just a regular spray with a dry lube is good and doesnt have crap sticking to it as its dries quickly and leaves the chain looking good.....and you get no 'fling' over the rear wheel, but you still have to clean the chain at times tho' no matter what......:)

12. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

As it won't clean itself........

13. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

i tried the dry lubes for about a year and although they do keep your chain looking the dogs danglies i dnt rate them for thier lubricative qualities so went back to wet lubes and not looked back since

14. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

Found the same. Wear rate was very high. And of course, totally hopeless if it rained.

15. Duncyc

Duncyc 125 +

I have a ScottOiler on my ZZR and it works great, no mess, no issues. However the reseviour bag is tucked soo deep under the seat that I can't get my fingers to it so I'm shortly planning to take it into my local dealer to refill it (along with a few other bits that need doing).

16. Conrad

Conrad Street Fighter +

Are you going to ask the to move it to where you can get to it, mine is just under a side panel

17. Duncyc

Duncyc 125 +

The issue there is that there is very little room to put it anywhere else with the alarm/immobiliser system taking up what room there is