1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Dumb questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Bikes' started by Choco, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

A tablespoon? Make mine a pint of real ale!

Seriously tho, I think unleaded now has alcohol in it - bio-ethanol. That's one reason a gallon of it doesn't take you as far as it used to.

2. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

If you put to one side all suggestions of converting your bike to water cooled, peeing on it, feeding it home brew etc. the simple answer to your original question is NO.

But if you decide to pee on it anyway, do it at night when it is dark, and don't get it in the tank. :cool:

3. Emma - 125cc Marauder

Emma - 125cc Marauder Off Roader +

I can't i live with my blokes parents and they have CCTV where the bike is, and if i do it on the way to work it'll be sods law i get done for indecent exposure!:rant:

Rusty and deano81 like this.
  4. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

It definitely does, however, tis supermarket "cheap" (hah...cheap my ar*e!) fuel that has the higher ethanol content. Yet again, a false economy.

5. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

AFAIK... and I'm happy to be corrected... it's actually the "premium" blends that have higher ethanol content (10%), not the ordinary 95 octane stuff. The ethanol allows a higher RON number because it has better anti-knock properties, but has a lower calorific value.

All fuels have to meet minimum standards on things like sulphur content, octane rating and much more, and all refiners have to meet those as a minimum - so that's what supermarkets buy, basic run-of-the-mill meets the miniumum requirements fuels. The more expensive brands add extra additives to justify the cost... whether they work or not is another matter altogether.

I really can't detect any difference whatsoever on the XJ6 between supermarket and brand name fuels, or between ordinary and premium blends, but due to a price war I normally fill up at Esso anyway as it's the same price as the local Morrisons, 1p more expensive than ASDA but the queues are far shorter! The more aged Hornet does seem to run a little smoother, go a little further to the tank and have a little more power on the premium blend from Esso.

6. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

I stand corrected.................I think!

7. Rusty

Rusty 125 +

as you r talking about additives, has any body tried seafoam, not he stuff off the beach either;), its American topend engine cleaner, cleans all residue out of carbs, and is a petrol stabilizer, apparently very good over winter months if u not running ur bike.
    it comes in a sixteen oz can, and u add 4oz of the jollop, to 19/20 liters of fuel, i have brought a can of of ebay, i can honestly say my sine putting this stuff in, my engine starts bang on the button, and idols a lot better, only trouble is we pay a lot more for this than the yanks do :(, but heres a link if any body interested.

• cleans injectors, cleans carb jets, fuel stabilizer, removes moisture from fuel and oil
    • adds lubricity, frees lifters-rings, carbon cleaner, upper cylinder lube, de-icer anti gel.
    • for use in cars, trucks, boats, tractors, motorbikes and any small engine.
    • helps pass emission test
    • cures hesitation when accelerating, pinging and rough idle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seafoam-I...WDVW&rd=1&ih=012&category=122139&cmd=ViewItem

8. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

OMG!!! As a nurse and a woman and a human - that is DISGUSTING!!! ewwww :puke:

9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Its a necessity for some people. As a nurse, you should know that :ner: :D

10. _Yappa_

:chide: :ond: (just like using smilies lately! You think you've looked at them all then find more!)

11. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

As I said before, I`m the kind of guy who just keeps giving ;) :hug2:

12. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Also ride a 125 as for warming tyres just take it easy for a mile or so then maybe get a little more power them you will see the difference between them.

If its wet of course just slow it down a tad and avoid throwing it up the road off of a roundabout while trying to lean off bike. .. it hurts lol.:ron1:

13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

14. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

hahahah thats brilliant :haha:

15. _Yappa_

God where do you even find these memes from!!! :p

16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

[​IMG]

_Yappa_ likes this.
  17. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

[​IMG]

lammyR6 and _Yappa_ like this.
  18. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

when i read the title of the thread i instantly thought of something i tell apprentices
    everything is easy....once you have been shown and you learn how to do it yourself, at one stage in your life you were crawling around on all fours looking at the big people strutting about upright and tall thinking to yourself in that baby language you have , WOW THEY ARE SO CLEVER , HOW DO THEY DO THAT I WISH I COULD DO THAT! and thats something a vast majority of us do now without a second thought, stop and think about it and what a complex action that actually is , balance, co ordination, configuration of limbs and muscles to use to provide motion and we all do it without thinking about it.
    there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to acquiring knowledge.

Roadwart likes this.
  19. pedrocbf

pedrocbf Commuter 500 +

Blimey ... thats a bit deep for 7:05am ... ill come back midday and re-read that :giggle:

kitten_art likes this.