1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Important - why you should take your bike test this summer

Discussion in 'Beginners Bikes' started by Spin, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

The DSA have at long last announced full details of how the 3rd European Driving Licence Directive will affect motorcyclists.

The new rules for motorcycle tests will be introduced on January 19 2013.

At 16 and after first taking CBT, you’ll be able to ride a moped (note that the licence category will change from P to AM) on L plates as at present. In the unlikely event that anyone chooses to gain a full moped licence, you’ll need to take the theory test and CBT.

At 17 you’ll be able to take the motorcycle test (after first taking CBT and passing the theory test) on a machine:
    * of at least 120cc and no more than 125cc
    * with a power output not exceeding 11kW (14.6bhp)
    * capable of a speed of at least 90km/h (55mph)

This will get you an A1 licence, which will allow you to ride a similar machine to the one the test was passed on, in other words a 14.6hp 125.

After two years if you already hold an A1 OR if you are 19 and have a provisional licence, CBT and Theory Test pass you can take the test again on a machine:
    * of at least 395cc
    * with an engine power of at least 25kW (33bhp) but not exceeding 35kW (46.6bhp)
    * with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg
    * that is not derived from a vehicle more than double its power

This will get you the A2 motorcycle licence, which will allow you to ride a bike up to 46.6bhp.

The final step to a full power and unrestricted category A licence can be at 21 but ONLY if the rider has held an A2 licence for a minimum of two years OR at 24 if the rider has a new provisional motorcycle licence. The test will have to be taken on a machine of:
    * at least 595cc
    * engine power of at least 40kW (53.6bhp)

So, assuming you want to ride a motorcycle, if you start on your 17th birthday, for the first two years you’ll be riding a 125. After that, it’ll be at least your 21st birthday and you’ll have to pass a total of three tests* before you can gain a full, unrestricted category A licence.

And if you decide to avoid the intermediate stages by taking a single ‘Direct Access’ test, you’ll have to wait till you’re 24 rather than 21 as it is at the moment.

That’s the bad news.

The good news is that the existing rules will apply right up to January 12:

* if you take your test on a 125, you’ll get a 33hp ‘restricted’ licence that will automatically turn into a full power licence after two years
    * if you are 21 or over, you can take ‘Direct Access’ on the existing scheme and get a full, unrestricted licence with no delay

So don’t hang about. Although bike schools and test centres haven’t been busy for the last couple of years, there WILL be a rush to beat the new licence rules… and the longer you leave it, the more difficult it will be to schedule the Module One and Module Two tests.

If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to reply here or drop me a line!

NOTE:
    *There is an option for the second and third tests to be replaced by a ‘training’ option – the DSA are currently “looking into the feasibility” of such an option. But don’t hold your breath would be my advice – expect the tests to stay.

2. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleep:

:)

ShootBob, Jim and Les like this.
  3. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

:sfight: Pay attention at the back! :coffee:

kitten_art, Jim and Les like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

why have they done this yet again ????????????? yet still they havn't once done anything about car drivers.

so the 17 yr old biker gets restricted yet the 17 yr old car driver gets a scooby and wraps it around a tree killing himself and 4 passengers while insured on his mothers policy :mad: seams like discrimination to me. I bet its the bloody europeans :thumbsdown: can't we please just drop a nuc on germany :rolleyes:

kitten_art, Roadwart, Russell and 2 others like this.
  5. Les

Les British Superbike +

Nuking Germany would stir things up, especially if we then ;) said "Sorry, we thought that's where Brussels was".

kitten_art likes this.
  6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Whats worse is that they arent introducing anything for those fecking 3 wheelers! You can get on a 400cc gaymobile without any additional licencing.

7. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

R1's are getting 3 wheels? :scared:

kitten_art likes this.
  8. Finchy

Finchy Guest

In fairness though, there are certain tests that riders of those three-wheelers have to pass before they can ride one;

1) The rider must own and carry a man-bag
    2) In the absence of said man-bag, the rider must pull along a tiny briefcase on wheels and trip everyone up at the top & bottom of every staircase, escalator, step, doorway, crossing, pavement...
    3) The rider must own an open-face helmet, preferably MOMO (or HOMO) brand
    4) The rider must use one of those stupid leg-warmer / skirt things when riding in slightly damp / mild weather
    5) The rider must have a friend named Tarquin

So not so straightforward after all. Seems that the Euro lefties have imposed restrictions on these poor, effeminate fools too.

hoppielimp, JimG, R1 Chickie and 2 others like this.
  9. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

I know a guy who's getting a scooby as his first car funnily enough .. thought the same thing .

Will have to definatly do my test this year anyway... Don't want to pay for another CBT as well (runs out) lol

10. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

why you should take your bike test this summer

Because it's warm and sunny! sorted! :thumbsup:

kitten_art, deano81 and Roadwart like this.
  11. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

That'll be the magic window you're looking out at 10:30pm ;)

12. HAYABUSADAVE

Thats the one.... :thumbsup:

13. HAYABUSADAVE

Don't be so bloody lazy, get off your arses and get it sorted.....You've only 2 years haven't you?
    Cheryl did it in mid winter, and had never rode a bike before ever......So there's hope for you lot out there......:thumbsup:

14. HAYABUSADAVE

If you don't the bloody EU will soon stop you getting anywhere near it! if they get their way..... Coz theyre :poop:bags!

15. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

stolen .. get moving anynewbies ... (reiterating Spins post)
    From the 19th of January 2013 there's going to be a lot of changes to the system as to how you get a motorcycle license due to the EC 3rd Driving License Directive.
    Under the new system a rider wanting to get a license will be required to do a test at 17 which will grant them the ability to ride a 125cc machine. That's it. At 19 they will then have to do another test to get on a 46bhp machine.
    They will then have to wait another five years until they are 24 when finally after another test they will be able to ride any bike. Seems a little crazy when you can drive any car of any power at 17!
    This directive was passed under Tony Blair's reign in government and sadly there's no going back now. I just hope that the youngsters still have the drive to get on two wheels and if they don't that they get on after 24. So if you've ever felt there was a time to get on a bike, it's now! Get in there whilst you still can, especially if you're 17. Let's not look at this as a bad thing but a reason to do your test

16. BlackHornet

i bet most bikers start late these days :rolleyes: How many rode as kids then stopped until their 30's or 40's

17. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

So if you start late...you still ave to wait 7 yrs fr an open bike license ?

Australia have a good system...I thinks it's 3 yrs until open license, but until then cars & bikes restricted to 125 bhp per tonne.

Roadwart and _Yappa_ like this.
  18. BlackHornet

i think from 24 years old you can still do direct access and then buy a 200bhp beast :eek:

i like the aussie way , a 475bhp transit van sounds fun :giggle:

19. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

I took mine 43yrs ago when I was sixteen - only just avoided the new regulations :giggle:

Seriously though - gonna have a bad effect on an already troubled motorcycle industry.

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  20. HAYABUSADAVE

You're showing your age now Bob........:giggle:

_Yappa_ likes this.