1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Weird cans

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by megawatt, Feb 3, 2012.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I sold the Akrapovic Evo system that has been on my bike since March, so today I refitted my standard RRW system. I made a weird silencer back in January to test some zorst theories and I fitted it today.
    It's about 600mm long, 63 mm diameter with a 35mm perforated tube baffle. Currently packed with stainless wire wool. I know it looks odd , but bare with me, it will be modded over the coming days/weeks. Opinions greatly appreciated and orders taken , should you see summat you like.
    So here is weird can 1;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Video to follow if I ever get it to upload!

2. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

definitely different matey

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

Looks ok but does the theory inc that length? As it looks long enough to slow down any reverse pressure at high revs so I guess the fuelling will need sorting. Had it running yet? 50p for the hessian bag.

4. megawatt

Yeah, but struggling to upload the vid. It's a bit loud. I think I forgot to pack it with stainless!!!

5. Les

Les British Superbike +

Does stainless wool make good sound muffler then?

6. megawatt

I normally wrap it around the perforated tube baffle to stop hot gasses burning the fibreglass and then add fibreglass to the outside for less noise. I have had this can lying around for 9 months. It will gradually get shortened, silenced and probably fattened. A 4 into 1 into 2 is also planned!

7. Les

Les British Superbike +

So which town's without power now you've got their pipework?

kitten_art likes this.
  8. megawatt

Maidstone !

kitten_art likes this.
  9. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Whilst I really like that slimline look, the length issue is a slippery slope. Alan, it's only a matter of time...
    [​IMG]

_Yappa_ and Hanna like this.
  10. megawatt

Hhmmm, I see mate. Will be shorter soon. Just a start point for power and silencing. Pity I forgot the packing!!!
    [​IMG]

11. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Seems to sound ok to me, although we really need to hear it on full chat. If you can make stuff like this, maybe I need to speak with you about making me a baffled 'shorty' like this;
    [​IMG]

12. megawatt

I can make whatever your imagination and wallet can dream up mate. Shorty cans are nice , but they are kin loud and lose a lot of power!!!

13. Les

Les British Superbike +

It will gradually get shortened, silenced and probably fattened. [/quote]
    Sounds like you.:)

14. megawatt

Haven't been silenced yet, oh idle one:)

Finchy likes this.
  15. Finchy

Finchy Guest

They lose power?? Sod that then!

Sporty1200 likes this.
  16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

General theory goes; shorter system = more torque / longer system = more bhp. Of course it's massively dependent on the bore matching, profile, flow tune and about 20 other variables. But given the average modern sports bike power output, you won't notice the difference anyway, get one that looks good ;)

_Yappa_ likes this.
  17. megawatt

Game on !

18. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Nice one Alan:thumbsup: Very throaty:D

19. megawatt

Just pulled the baffle out and I had forgotten to pack it. I shortened it, ready for the slashcut, wrapped and wired stainless wire wool around it and then refitted it. Some pix and a vid. Whadya think?
    [​IMG]
    shortened
    [​IMG]
    wrapped and wired
    [​IMG]
    refitted and tested
    [​IMG]
    One short video
    [​IMG]

20. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Untitled.jpg

Your man-card, hand it over right now!
    Definitely sounds like an exhaust though.

_Yappa_, lammyR6, kitten_art and 3 others like this.