1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Sheared bolt on Bandit exhaust....Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by HAYABUSADAVE, Feb 11, 2012.

1. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Ill get a piccie posted on here for tomorrow Al. Cheers. :thumbsup:

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

try chemical metal and fix a bolt head on, leave it to dry and attack it again :thumbsup:

3. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

ooooo get you Mr mechanic :moon:

4. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

:lol2:

5. BlackHornet

it's what happens after buying a bike from you :moon: i mean i have never had an engine mount bolt fall out before :eek: or fairing pull apart at just a little over the speed limit :rolleyes:.

ramrider likes this.
  6. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Right, a few things first. WD40 and chemical metal suck a**e. Neither of them are any use in an engineering sense; WD40 isn't a decent penetrating (snigger) fluid and chemical metal will not bond enough to deal with the shear stresses involved with budging this bolt.
    You might want to weld a bolt onto what's left if you have the room, or gear, to do it.
    The hard-cut drills were given to me by an old tool-maker friend. They will drill through anything.....

Les and Skortchio like this.
  7. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

So what's the score here then? Bolt out? Piccies?

8. HAYABUSADAVE

DSCF0689.JPG DSCF0690.JPG

No still not out!!!!! :mad:

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

If Reese's drills won't get it out, then it looks like a spark eroder is yer best bet mate. Google it and find a local company. If you are very lucky, they may do it with engine in frame, but I doubt it. If you need help getting engine out or ideally, just removing the head, gimme a bell?

10. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Wow wee! You are more than welcome to borrow my drills mate but I'd be looking at getting the lump out and, as Alan has already said, searching for a firm to get the remains out. What's the access like onto the end of the bolt?
    I'm away for a few days from tomorrow but I could possibly pop down at some point next week and have a look with you....

11. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

If you know a good welder Dave, he can hold a bolt in his electrode holder, hold it on the stud until it fuses/welds, knock the volts off at the switch, freeze spray it and try to remove, but that's a risky strategy???

12. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Looks like youve allready taken a screwdriver n hammer to it, i would too, Its often worth getting a centre punch to make a good sollid mark then tap anti clockwise with a smallish hammer.
    Ive also read that a really focused centralised blowtorch on the stud, then when hot, hammer and centre punch 1 blow clockwise (doing it up) allowing to cool then tapping anti clockwise can work. Ive never tried the heat method but have removed several sheared studs with a centre punch n hammer..

13. HAYABUSADAVE

Thanks chaps, Going to try the weld onto whats left route.......fingers crossed.........legs and about everything else...... :think2:

14. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Learner

I might know a mobile guy with a spark eroder To do it in the frame but it will cost ;-(

15. HAYABUSADAVE

Thanks Cap', Will def' keep that In mind.......Is he available asap???? :thumbsup:

16. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Learner

Will try and contact him tomorrow as I have not needed him at work for about a year what's your mobile num Dave ! Mines 07557477832

17. HAYABUSADAVE

Any luck Nick?? :thumbsup:

18. HAYABUSADAVE

Cheers Nick for trying to help, Most appreciated mate. :thumbsup:

19. HAYABUSADAVE

Head is off, now for the eroding.......

(NOTE: Heat and ice cold not preferable as I was made aware.....not good on air cooled engines....)

All I have to say about all this is fornicating testicles!!!!!! (thats fucking bollocks, Hanna.... ;) ) all over a snapped bolt and poxy sodding easy outs!!!! Let that be a lesson to all you others out there......especially if you have a Bandit......Make sure those bolts are well copper greased.......and especially the middle two sets.....:thumbsup:

Sporty1200 likes this.
  20. BlackHornet

or just buy a hornet :D