1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

HELP LOW oil pressure warning after oil change

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Kevin Taylor, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

Oil & filter change yesterday. was going to take her out for a quick run today BUT I have the engine management light lit LO oil pressure warning in the read out before starting. Upon starting; the fan is kicking in and the choke is on, running at 2k even though when the read out changed momentarily from LO to 78% the fan stopped and the choke cut out it then reverted to LO and fan & choke kicked in again. But the red oil pressure warning light is not lit. There are no leaks anywhere.

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Is the bike cold; can't see why the fan should be kicking in already if you've only just started it?

Usually you will get oil pressure warning light until you start the bike (as the pump needs to run to make the pressure), then the lights should go out, if it's not lit when the engine is running and the level is good in the sight glass I'd say all is well. :thumbsup:

P.S I assume when you say 'LO to 78%' you mean the water/engine temp reading...if so is that 78 degrees and not percent; as I've never seen a bike with an actual oil level sensor like that...:unsure:

3. Kevin Taylor

Looking at it more closely I don't think the oil pressure has anything to do with it. Just coincidence timing wise I think. though it did this yesterday when i fired her up for a few seconds. Because the choke is on and the fan is running, somewhere along the line the system is receiving mixed messages from sensors, One saying engine is cold and trust me it is not, my hand can tell you that another saying water temp is high which it is not, very strange but will knock me out of the ride on sunday.

4. Kevin Taylor

Sorry me being a numpty with the keyboard. Might just take her round the block which is only one mile at less than 40 mph.

5. Kevin Taylor

Trip around the block readout reverted to temp for about 5 seconds then back to square one no money for a trip to the shop so that's me well and truly fooked until I get paid.

6. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

So does the display control when the fan kicks in? Trying to work out of the systems are linked, or that the cooling system/fan is working as normal and it's just your display that's out of whack. :unsure:

7. Kevin Taylor

Display is obviously controlled by the EM system It is as though it is receiving mixed signals, one saying it's cold causing it to kick in the choke and one saying it's hot kicking in the fan and only receiving the correct information on the odd occasion for a short spell.
    Might phone Laguna's though the probable answer would be 'bring it in and we'll plug her in' and as I am broke for another 6 days, as they say shit happens.

8. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

sounds silly but check the wire going to the temp sensor. if its making intm contact might be issue, poss knocked whilst you were changin filter? they are usually located around waterpump/thermostat area.

9. Kevin Taylor

Going out to try in a minute. I knew what laguna's answer was going to be get it booked in to get it plugged in min charge 1/4 hour labour. I'm broke until next week damn it.

10. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

See if perhaps you have a connector off the rad, like a fan switch, might just be a bad connection as Deano mentions.

11. deano81

also im not sure of the diag connector on the bike, assuming standard obd type, but i have an obd reader in my gaareg that i use for cars, im pretty sure theres no reason it wont pick up bike codes , it wont give the full range of diagnostics dealer machines would but it should read listed error codes then you just look them up. Ive just got back from what is hopefully my last job of the day (unless the phone rings again):rolleyes: , so will have a nose online see if i can find issue with that idea, unless someone here can answer that query for me ;) .

12. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Bikes don't use the normal OBD/II connector like cars do, some use the CAN type (BMW) but basically you need a specific tool to read the error codes.

13. deano81

thats what i thought, only played ith one FI bike which is the vstrom so wasnt sure. however looking through some triumph forms and bits it seems they have a standard obd2 connector and run off of iso standard too, only issue is the pin that provides power to handheld devices is missing which means the kit i have wont work . i have a serial to obd connector SOMEWHERE lol from my mr2 tinkering days but damned if i can remember where :unsure: . sorry kevin looks like my little idea wont work .

14. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Interesting, didn't think any bikes had OBD connections in them...I have a bluetooth OBD/II connector that I use on the car, never tried it on a bike though (app on my phone) :unsure:. I guess not if the power pin is missing, sneaky ploy by Triumph to get you into the dealers no doubt! :thumbsdown:

15. deano81

funnily enough thats pretty much the same conclusion they came to. i know of some readers that have their own 12v adapter but they are generally expensive

16. Kevin Taylor

Well upon closer inspection it is definitely a problem with the cooling system had it running on tickover for a while with all read out ok no choke no fan until it hit 103 and fan kicked in, lovely we thought, though warning light still on. Let her get cold Then topped up coolant reservoir and checked rad level only for a load of brown water to piss all over the floor. We topped her up again and ran her ubtil she hit 103 and this time the fan kicked as it is supposed to but the choke kicked in again and the read out reverted to low. Upshot is I am going to run her into Lagunas first thing in the morning if they get a chance to look and it is a quick fix all well and good if not they can keep hold of her til friday, when I get paid.

17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Have you tried just unplugging the battery for and hour and hooking it back up? The bike equivilient of turning it off and on again.

If the ECU is getting in a flap, cut the juice for a while. Never know.

18. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Great idea,,, This method reset my car engine management, light went out.... Ok id did it by accident, not using the car.. But it worked.. :thumbsup:

19. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Triumphs are odd electronic wise, the Daytona / Triple have a habit of showing the engine warning light if you change the indicators (seriously) you have to run it up to fan temps 3 times over to clear it. All very odd.

There's also the '12 minute tune' no idea if it's an option on the 600, but the forums will tell you. Start the bike and let it tick over until the fan kicks in then leave it to idle for, you guessed it, 12 minutes. Then switch off with the key. It's used to realign the TPS.

20. deano81

lol was gonna suggest that, you beat me to it :p