1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tyre Cracks

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Jun 10, 2012.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Also completely off topic but to save making a new thread and all that, i've got cracks on the wall of my tire close to the rim (on both sides and on both tires) is that something to be concerned about or just keep an eye on?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

best to show pictures of the cracks, as depending on the size amount etc would depend if you should be worried or not.
    a few on here will know the best thing to do, if your confident in the tyres then fine but if it's already playing on your mind when you ride then a new set is the best move but see what those in the know say :thumbsup:

3. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

well... just went out in the rain to get a quick snap of them and turns out its the type of crack that disappears in the rain :cautious: i'll have another look when its dry but im guessing now that its just a surface crack, if i see them again i'll get a pic and post it up. yeah i only noticed it because i was just over thoroughly checking the bike the other day

4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Starting a new thread isn`t a problem Jack, if anything its a good thing. Means that when people use the search function, they have more chance of finding info already posted as it`ll be more accurate. :thumbsup:

5. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah i was considering it but then i thought it would end up being thread after thread of me asking stuff haha when i can see the cracks hopefully in the dry i'll make a new thread for it :thumbsup:

6. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Cracks in tyres are a bad sign.
    It means the rubber is no longer supple and flexing as it should under the force of being ridden about upon.
    Are they old by any chance?
    If they disappear in the rain then it might just be baked on dust from the amazing summer weather...
    :rofl:

But to answer your question, no cracks aren't good and shouldn't be ignored on a car tyre let alone a bike one.

7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Just add it to this thread Jack.

jack_bm likes this.
  8. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Dont think the tires are that old not sure if the dealer put new ones on when i got it, if not they have 7000ish miles on them if he did it will be around 5000 on them in which case that would only be last September so not old (in my eyes)

9. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

When made, not fitted. Check here:
    [​IMG]

Other things can cause loss of elasticity in the rubber, most often cleaning products and excessive heating / cooling - race tyres go off like eggs.

10. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay ill also check that tomorrow thanks, i do clean her pretty regularly so that will prob have contributed.

I just looked on google to find something similar to mine this is the closest i could find, its like this but only i'd say hair line not as big as this from what i can remember

[​IMG]

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Has the bike sat for any length of time? That looks like a compression crack from the bike sitting for months not moving and the tyre pressure dropping. Rubber hardens and when inflated again, does that.

12. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

has it been run while flat ?

13. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

no its not been run flat that i know of, always kept the PSI up only dropped by like 3psi, i think it was in show room for a while though and i bought this last september and it was a 2008 with 2500miles on it, so not been used much to then being used everyday might be it

14. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Listen to this one, he does know what he is talking about every once in awhile :giggle:

Seriously, I echo what he said, don't risk it with tyres.

15. Les

Les British Superbike +

I'd certainly replace that soonest. As said heat, (inc sunlight) & age harden tyres. I've an original front on a 2010 bike which shows some cracking when warmed, thats nowhere near as bad as yours, which I'll be replacing asap.

kitten_art likes this.
  16. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I think you get where everyone is leaning too....cracks on your sidewall would give me the :scary: .... think about what happens it if it lets go mid fast sweeping corner...

I know its all money but you only have 2 wheels and 1 ass...

kitten_art likes this.
  17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

And there's already a crack in that!

deano81, alexs, Les and 2 others like this.
  18. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Right got some pictures of my tires,

If you look sort of towards the rim there is a lip on the tire and to the right there is a small crack that follows it, its like that on and off around both tires
    [​IMG]
    Another angle
    [​IMG]
    Here is a general picture of how much tread is left, now im not sure i recon i have at least a few more months on this but there is a sort of chip in the tread dont know if thats another thing to worry about?
    [​IMG]
    Also here is the date of manufacture ( i think... its the only thing with something like that on the tire) i think this would make it the first week of august in 2008 if im right
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the amount of pictures just want to make sure that its nothing to worry about :)

19. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Looks like the date indeed, although week 8 is more like the end of February by my count :p week number, not date.

So you there a tyre that's 4 years old, not really premium age. Those cracks are the beginnings of the rubber not stretching as it should.
    The divit isn't anything to worry about, not only because the ture is knackered but on general.

How long it would normally last depends more on your weekly mileage than time also how you ride. Black Hornet has to carry spare tyres with him on ride outs, for example :D

If it were me, I'd have some new tyres on the shopping list sharpish.

kitten_art and jack_bm like this.
  20. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

aha yeah its February then :p
    Okay its deffinatly on the shopping list then i decided long ago that im going to get some bridge stone BT-45's and instead of a 130 rear a 140 :)
    haha yeah i think i normally do around 80-100 miles a week, depends on the weather, if its bad i wont be taking the long route for sure :p

Thanks for the advice though :) just got to figure out how to get my tax rebate through now to pay for the tires :rubhands: