1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tips for changing pads

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

The time is getting closer for me to change my break pads over and i've never done them before but i'm pretty sure i've got everything i need

Brake pads
    Brake fluid
    and a tube thingy to drain some of the fluid out when i push the pistons back in.

I think i know what im doing ( dont worry i wont jump on it as soon as i've done it i'll walk it about making sure the breaks work ;) ) but has anyone got any tips to save me the pain of finding out the hard way?

Also probably going to change my spark plugs at some point and i dont know why i think this or where i read this but am i right in thinking that you have to put them in a certain distance or something like that or is it simply just replace them until they dont go in any further?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

you shouldn't need to worry about changing the brake fluid when just doing the pads. If all the bolts undo easy it's a ten minute job, 3 hours if you let Skortchio do it but then it is an hour and 28 mins each way to his :D . If the bolts don't come undone easy then it's a pain :thumbsdown: but thats about as hard as it gets

3. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

oh.. thats :poop: i just wasted money then haha oh well good to have these things for when you need them i guess! i was under the impression that you had to drain some of the brake fluid out to then be able to push the piston back in otherwise they wont go in all the way?

4. BlackHornet

theres plenty of space in the fluid resivour so you won't need to worry , thats the point of it to allow the pistons to move :D otherwise your brakes would jam on :thumbsdown:. Brake fluid does need replacing every few years or so so you won't have wasted your money just prepaired for when it's needed :thumbsup:

jack_bm likes this.
  5. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Thats good made the whole thing a whole lot easier haha know any good things to clean the pistons with before pushing them back in? i dont have the money to buy some brake cleaner that i've heard about atm as i spent it on brake fluid and that tube thing.. :cautious:

6. BlackHornet

where are you based? as i bet a few on here have cleaner floating about somewhere.

7. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Didn't Kevin do a little video on replacing pads ? I'm sure he cleaned them before popping them back in...

8. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

I'm in St Leonards is it something that is really important to do? because they dont look caked in dirt and that from what i can see of them

9. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

your welcome to pop over and il show you how to dot it/give you a hand or im sure mr megawatt will gladly help . pretty easy to do. the only reason you would need ot take fluid out would be if your resevoir was full t the brim , then as you push the pistons back in the level would spill over in the resevoir... and yes whilst your at it, good clean of the caliper and and pistons in general is always good :D

jack_bm likes this.
  10. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

toolstation is cheap for brake cleaner

jack_bm likes this.
  11. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

12. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

yup toolstation is great for carb and break cleaner really cheap

13. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

thats the one i use

14. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

I'm just up the road from you in Tunbridge Wells, I'm happy to come and give you a hand if you like

15. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I,ll be home from Thursday afternoon if you fancy turning up at mine.

16. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

What a cracking bunch you lot are..:cool:...

17. megawatt

The offer is always there Neil.

18. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

May take you up on that thanks, but thinking i may just give it ago.. i found a really helpful video showing someone change the pads on my bike. thats why i thought you had to get more brake fluid but i'm pretty sure he shouldnt have opened the reservour and he should have drained it through the nipple thing on the caliper? i dunno..

[edit] i dunno what vidoe i saw someone open the reservour to push his piston back in wasnt this one... my bad haha

19. megawatt

Come and do it at my place, just in case you have a problem?

20. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah will do if thats okay, can i let you know tomorrow or wednesday morning, i may have to go somewhere on thursday but it should be fine if thats okay with you?