1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

ABS... good or bad?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Hanna, Aug 1, 2011.

?

ABS... good or bad?

1. Good

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Bad

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. viking killer

viking killer Street Fighter +

not a fan myself

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

the downside with these safety messures is the fact i would feel the need to test them and if it goes wrong then it's a big repair bill :eek: but with so many people saying they have never felt them cut in the means they are pretty much prefect these days :D

Hanna likes this.
  3. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

ABS only cuts in when it detects the wheel locking up (speed difference between front and rear etc), so once that happens anything more and you're theoretically past the maximum braking potential available to you and effectively out of control (skidding). So going on that basis it shouldn't be possible to 'run further on' if relying on ABS to save your bacon. :)

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I think ABS is a good thing. Most times you use ABS is an emergency and more than not its in a straight line. I believe its usually a reflex action on your part as a rider when you see imminent danger and grab...usually the front brake without time for your brain and reactions to 'feel' the brake pressure the grip and for you to adjust accordingly, hence on the same vein as Ducky...unless you are braking on the limit every time, I don't think its makes you a lazy rider.

As the ABS function of stopping the 'locking' of the wheel is to aid in keeping maximum friction in the direction of rotation, I don't really think ABS aids the rider significantly in general road riding (except to save your bacon).

If you are thinking ABS will save (or make you a quick rider) you when you intentionally come into a corner too hot and you have to grab a whole lot of brake mid corner...I can tell you ABS isn't gonna save you...the side loading on the tyre will break friction and you will come out of the corner quick...right into a hedge.

For those riders who prefer not to have technological aids, I think its more like traction control that you would object to as I think that really aids the rider rather than ABS, especially as to how fast you can exit the corner.

5. Chef

Chef 125 +

You clearly never rode my GPZ 1100 ABS... :(

I'd love to try a modern system like the Honda or BMW and see how far they have come.

6. Snowman

Snowman Learner

The problem is the EU want everything to have it and you won't be able to switch it off, so there will be no choice even on off road bikes

7. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

Well if I'd had ABS & it had worked proberly then my front wheel wouldn't of locked up & my fuel tank wouldnt have broken my pelvis !!!!

So in theory it's good :)

8. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

ABS is cool, especially on a big sports bike.....they should all have it as standard! if I had ABS on my old Busa it would have lived to see another day.....
    ABS can be very helpful especially in the wet if one is a newbie to large capacity machines, but I have read that on some it can cause some problems with lag and one can end up out into the road a shade at a junction......or up the arse end of a car.....
    All in all, I'd have it......

9. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Phatboyslimming......Pity the japs didnt think to bring the Yank version of the SV 650 over here as they have ABS as standard, might have saved you some pain with you and the bike.......get well soon mate.

10. Jayjay

Jayjay Street Fighter +

My tiger isn't an off roader but it is possible to turn off ABS, but is switched on again ,if the bike is turned off then started again.

11. gland

gland Off Roader +

i have it on my ktm not by choice it was just standard.it has never cut in.I would take it off tomorrow though.why?,i havent needed it for past thirty years and it takes up all storage space under seat. Far to many people believe having abs would save them in an incident, thats an assumption.far better to hone your own skills to anticipate situations early and ride appropriately. I believe you should have a choice thats why im against the eu proposals.

12. Good on road in wet and slippy conditions , bad off road!

13. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I think it would be good but you should have the option to turn it off

14. For off road you cant have abs because of the plough effect, The BMW i have worked on here that have abs are turn off able The eu have got some more work to do interfering dratsab's !

15. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

What`s that Nick?

16. Imagine applying the brakes when in snow/mud/sand , what happens is that the snow builds up in front of the wheel , plough effect! In these conditions ABS is useless!

17. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Won't be riding my bike in any of those conditions so no worries! :D

Hanna and Roadwart like this.
  18. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

It makes me wince just thinking of it!

For note though... I will be getting ABS and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) on the S1000RR. (They come as part of the 'sport pack' along with the quickshifter).

Ducky likes this.
  19. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I don't think my local dealer has sold any 'non sports' since the bike came out! :laugh:

20. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Hence most bikes fitted with ABS also have some form of Traction Control