1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Went to buy a flasher relay and might have come back with something a bit different...

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

As the title says i went to buy a new flasher relay cos my LED brake light was playing up.. now my dream bike is a gixxer i think they look amazing, and sitting there was this Suzuki gsxr 600 K4.. wow it is amazing looks stunning in yellow with lots of nice extras, thought i'd never be able to afford to insure it and for some reason i done a quote and i can! :S so going over figures and chances are i will probably buy it if it all works out.. next problem it'll need restricting, i know i know.. why buy a sports bike then to go and ruin it by restricting it.. well i have till september and chances are i'll de restrict it if its 'that bad' after a while anyway but i want to go on tour and i want to do as much as i can before that.

but anyone have a restricter or can make one?, i know i need to get it fitted by a company and probably get it dyno tuned and everything to be able to get a certificate but buying a Suzuki kit is like £140 without fitting..

Or possibly would i be able to re map it with a 33bhp map if theres one available

Cheers for any help or advice!

2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Hmm seems a lot of hassle to me :(

3. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Buy it in September it will be cheaper by then

kitten_art likes this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

It does seem like hassle BUT if you don`t restrict it & you have a ding, whether your fault or not & its found the bikes over the 33bhp limit for your licence ( & it will be tested as insurance companies will do anything to avoid weighing you out), you`ll end up in a world of hurt as your insurance will be invalid (6-8 points) & You`ll be riding otherwise in accordance to your licence (3-6 points) so that`s a 9 point minimum.

On the upside, when you remove the restrictor in September, You`ll have a "new" bike for a song! :thumbsup:

5. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

I checked with Benji 54 that his GSX-R 600 was restricted like this: it was and he sold the washers to someone for £20 when it was time to take 'em out. You do need a dealer certificate and may have to bite the bullet, although it's worth searching Ebay for a 2nd hand set. Try joing Gixxer Junkies in case someone has a set.

JimG likes this.
  6. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Cheers for the replys sorry was slow gettin back beeb away this weekend. How did benji get his certified?wiol have aa look in that forum thanks

7. Panel Man

Best send him a PM, Jack. I think the bike may have had its certificate when he bought it. Not sure if he looks at this forum much, so you might want to try the Facebook version.

8. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Not on the facebook version will search it tomorrow and PM him thanks :)

9. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

You DON'T legally need a certificate,though some insurance companies may want to see one. For my son's Hornet 250 we just got it dynoed at DHR so we could be sure it was legal, which it was, just, without any modification. Obviously, yours will need restricting, but check what your insurance company requires before you pay over the odds for a piece of paper.

Roadwart likes this.
  10. Panel Man

Sounds like sensible advice.

11. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Don't buy off those robbing ba$tards in Bexhill either. They say things that are totally unecessary and charge the earth. If you can find out what size the holes in the restictors are I can make you some?

12. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

It is an interesting subject, I bet there is loop hole somewhere that you do not even need it modifying, as long as you do not exceed the speed that is required by law. (or get caught) they have to prove you have exceeded the limits of the restriction, same as if you had an accident.

13. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah, i don't really want to ask the insurance company if i would need to provide one as if i bring it up they might be like oh yeah, i suppose you could send us one.. i dunno if that's something they'd do though.. do you know who your son was insured with?

I'm going to the dealer today to get a price for my bike to see if its a worthy deal i'll try find out after work what sizes are, do you think they'd still sell it knowing i need a ristrictor?

Its defiantly a confusing one, i think what most people do is have them in for a few months, just so they've got the certificate and then remove it them selfs.. but like you say if i dont get caught doing to much over the speed limit theres nothing showing that its not ristricted..

14. megawatt

If they wanna sell it, I,d get them to pay for and fit it mate. Then your covered. If you have an accident and the restrictors aren,t there, you will have no insurance and points.

15. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

that'll mean paying the £180 but i think i'll get them to add it onto the price of the bike and add it to the credit card, that way i wont hurt the pocket to much in one hit.. what you recon?

16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

The restriction kits are overpriced for what they are, if you know someone what can machine exact copies. Which of course means having one to model from in the first place. But you have to add the cost of making them plus the dyno and the time to fit them yourself before judging if it's really such a bad price, assuming that upon buying it for £140 they fit it free in with the sale.

Legally, if you claim something on your insurance and it's false or fail to announce something - you're up the sh*tter should it be noticed. End of, there's no way around it and ignorance isn't accepted as explanation.
    A dyno chart or fitting cert will be the only accepted methods of proving it or you'll likely be expected to pay the cost of testing / inspecting it, should the need arise.

It's all a bit doom and gloom but as RW says if you're pinched, you're screwed without it and in a big way.

Cost vs. risk: is it worth it for £140?

If you're buying from a dealer then the best advice as said already is to shop around. Anywhere that isn't willing to drop a restrictor on a bike to sell it isn't worth dealing with. More fish in the sea etc.

17. megawatt

What 180 ?

18. megawatt

Plenty of gixxers about mate and insist on a fitting cert or paid for dyno time.

19. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah i think its around that price from what i've heard, i'll be going down like i said at lunch (if the 'snow' lets me) to talk to him see if i can get a deal with im or something.. if he fits it i'll get a certificate to say its 33bhp so i wont need to pay for dyno time.

20. megawatt

Get one or the other, but make him work for his money. Bet he's getting a good deal on both bikes?