1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

GSX600FR. West Kingsdown , tomorrow am

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by megawatt, Aug 4, 2011.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

A guy on another forum is buying one from a dealer tomorrow for 900 quid. 95 reg with 13,000 on clock and fsh. Anybody know about em? Any pitfalls?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

know sod all about them but at that money you can't really go that far wrong

3. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

What dealer is that by chance?

4. megawatt

Uralmoto, Blue chalet industrial park.

5. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I know the place, any history with the bike....13,000 seems a little low for a '95 reg?

6. megawatt

Can t put eBay link on with my phone, here,s the number,
    Would appreciate your opinion mate. Guy is REME, going to Afghan soon.

7. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Well it looks clean enough in the pictures, and they say it's got history (I would give it a good read and match the service stamps against the MOT mileage). I would also check the mileage on every MOT cert to see if there is a big jump at all anywhere...you would expect it to be fairly constant, but 1000 miles a year seems wrong for the type of bike. :unsure:

Could be perfectly fine though, I assume he will take it for a test ride anyway (make sure engine is cold on arrival).

At 12,000 miles it should still be pretty clean behind the fairing, so I would check for any crash repair damage (overspray, fresh paint etc), perhaps an HPI check for a few extra quid also.

Probably worth a haggle on the price too!
    :thumbsup:

8. megawatt

Cheers mate, he hasn't,t passed his test yet, but I,ll give it a blat. Good advice thanks.

9. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

No worries dude, best of luck with it! :thumbsup:

10. megawatt

I,ll report back tomorrow night. Doing Gaz,s chain tomorrow afternoon!

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

If he's REME It'll probably fall apart, don't trust the spannertw*ts :lol:

12. megawatt

Well, don't think I'm welcome at Uralmoto, Brands Hatch anymore. Think the guy was lookin forward to selling a 16 year old bike to a new rider without me interfering!!!
    The bike, N reg Teapot with 13,000 on the clock. Let's start at the front, tyre ,cracks at base of treads showing age of tyre. Very little meat on front pads. Forks were shiny and not pitted, but the left hand seal housing was bulging with rust!!! Lots of scratches on both sides of tank and fairings. Rust on the oil filter!!! Rust on steel pipes at front of engine. Lots of rust , painted over with exhaust black paint, on headers and collectors. Both 2 into 1 collectors had 5"x 1" weld patches on em and one was cracked and blowing. couldn't hear engine tickover properly because of exhaust blow! Tickover was a bit tinny and I suspect cam chain rattle or jammed auto tensioner. Only just turned over, started , stopped and wouldn't restart. garage man blamed me for turning it over while immobilised??? Still wouldn't start, so he agreed to supply a new battery! I had to ask him twice to start it again, so he grudgingly jump started it! Gave it a short 5 mile run past Brands and it felt OK, never got chance to bounce it around some bends to check handling. rear tyre had plenty of tread left , but was squared off!
    Paperwork was ok, loadsa MOTs, about 10 with about 200 miles per year on em. Nothing before 2001 and no service history after 2004, nothing before that!!!
    The guy was aggressive as soon as he saw me(I have that affect on some people). When I went to restart it after he had removed the key, I asked" Is it immobilised?" His reply " Can't you tell? Thought you knew everything about them?" Nuff said, I had a quick word with the young,new rider and left!!!
    What would you do?

13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Told ya! :D call him a remf and walk away.

14. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Mmm I think walking away was the best option there dude :thumbsup:, sounds like it had covered a little more than 12K or it hadn't been maintained properly. (p.s not much of an FSH then compared to what they mentioned in the advert)...

Surprised it managed to get a fresh MOT too if there were cracks in the tyres.......:whistle:

15. megawatt

Yeah. Cracked front tyres can kill you

16. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

:cautious:sounds like its been used as a winter hack.. theyre pretty robust engines on those but the price is way too high for the condition. that there is a fixer-upper and really should be priced as such :thumbsdown:

17. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

More likely to have been sat in the back of a shed for the last few years rotting away. A lot of those about, they get an oil change, brakes freed up, run for a while and the palmed off to some poor newbie.

18. sara-gaz

sara-gaz 125 +

I only paid £1200 for my T-Pot lol, it's a 2002 with less than 10,ooo miles on the clock with full service history! Megawatt came round this afternoon to help Gareth and commented on the fact that mine was mint!!!
    So, I am smiling knowing I kinda got a huge bargain after hearing about that one!!!

Photos

Sara x

19. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

Reading the description of that bike makes me wonder how anyone can sell a bike in that condition... especially to a new-to-biking rider.

Have they no conscience????

20. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I think they're just in it for the £££...they have a K4 Gixxer 1000 up for sale on Ebay too for £2800.....far too pricey considering the history! :thumbsdown: