1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tyre Pressures

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Russell, May 9, 2013.

1. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Stock pressures or lower? What do you run in your tyres?

Tom - I already know you run at 15 Psi because you keep forgetting to put air in!

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

It does depend on what I'm doing and which bike, what tyres are on it. Stock is good for most Road riding.

3. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

I run stock 36f 42r however have been thinking of running a slightly lower pressure in the rear (for no other reason than seeing if it adds/takes away anything to the ride).

4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I run stock 36f 41r

5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Most run less than stock on their STR, cant Remember what I am atm but less than stock

Sporty1200 likes this.
  6. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Yeah stock for the star is 36/42 but the prevailing opinion on 675.cc seems to be 34/36 I think.

7. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

My bike is 36/36 :) (for the old R6s anyway)

8. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

My ZZR should run 42 front and 42 rear. A suspension guru I respect said drop these pressures by 2psi whilst riding solo to improve the contact patch with the road - I have done so and am pleased with the result.

9. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

is that for ploughing or road ;)

10. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

It's massively varied between about 100 variables, including your suspension set up and option of adjustment, the tyres you are using both profile and size, rider weight, expected road condition and intended benefit - longevity of tyre or performance.

The average model for a single rider is a 13stone ish bloke, so if you're below that then dropping a few psi is fair. If you'll realistically notice a difference, who can say. It's about the same as the extra bhp from a race can - more about pub points and psychology than realised improvement. :)

In cold weather you should run higher then in warm also. But you don't need such fine accuracy on the road.

11. luke-rs125

luke-rs125 Twist N Go +

i use a footpump if that helps ... :lol:

Skortchio, _Yappa_ and lammyR6 like this.
  12. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

I got yelled at by hubby last week cause he checked my pressure's for me (good boy :kiss2:) and my front was 27, with rear of 36.

Got in big trouble!! But at least now I know that I have a slow leak LOL

13. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

Road - entering a ploughed field at nearly 70mph and remaining upright then leaving the field at the other end still upright is an altogether different skill set :rolleyes: especially on a ZX12 - do you realise that was nearly six years ago!!

14. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

That sounds like an excellent story that needs to be told asap

Roadwart, lammyR6 and _Yappa_ like this.
  15. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

Stock all the time except for very hot days or track days.