1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Ultrasonic cleaning

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by TunnerUK, Jun 18, 2013.

1. TunnerUK

TunnerUK Guest

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of somewhere fairly local to me (Maidstone) where I could get a set of in line 4 carbs ultrasonically cleaned?

[​IMG]

2. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

Get a container big enough to fit the carb, then cable tie a sander to it, fill it up with cleaning solution. violla! ultra sonic boom!!!

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

You musta been to the same maintenance school as Blackhornet.:rolleyes:

_Yappa_, Roadwart and Dhan Rollioni like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

no chance, my school said spray with wd40 and the light with a match :thumbsup:

_Yappa_, Dhan Rollioni and kitten_art like this.
  5. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Then patch up with duct tape :eek::giggle:

lammyR6, _Yappa_ and deano81 like this.
  6. Dhan Rollioni

Best way to clean carbr is to strip and caress it with carb cleaner whilst blowing it with compressed air. Each jet, one by one, until you can see light shining through the hole. :sneaky:

7. TunnerUK

TunnerUK Guest

It's not the jets that are the problem, it's the hidden chambers within the carbs that are the problem,
    I've just ordered a 30 litre ultrason cleaner so I'll let you know how it goes!

deano81 likes this.
  8. Dhan Rollioni

Yeh, would be good to know if ultrasonic cleaning does the job. It will be a kick in the teeth for me if it works, Ive spend countless hours cleaning my jets with compressed air and carb cleaner. :giggle:

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Can you do my Fireblade carbs, if yours are a success mate?;)

deano81 likes this.
  10. Dhan Rollioni

I can see a new business appearing, mobile ultrasonic cleaning.

Roadwart and lammyR6 like this.
  11. Dhan Rollioni

What's the best cleaning solution to use for cleaning carbs in a ultrasonic cleaner. you don't wanna use anything too strong that may expand the rubber seals inside.

12. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Its dependant on what your cleaning.. Common self made ones are a vinegar solution, this is acidic and will attack aluminium,! or a baking soda solution this is caustic and will also attack aluminium!!. I have in the past successfully used both, the vinegar will remove the "varnishing" the soda the "lime" scale white powder deposits, just don't leave any solution to long and wash between each dip.

13. Dhan Rollioni

hhmmmm clever :sneaky: Can't I just put both ingredients in together :rubhands:

14. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Thats a handy service :thumbsup:

15. megawatt

Bit steep for me mate. Can strip and clean carbs myself, just can,t remove emulsion tubes on blade carbs to clean em, have to be done in situ?

16. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

way i see it £40 if you strip carbs down £60 if he does then he dips the lot. cheaper than new carbs :)

Finchy likes this.
  17. TunnerUK

TunnerUK Guest

Lets be honest mate, if I was doing them for a fiver it would be a bit steep for you!

LATE, Stars and Stripes and Les like this.
  18. megawatt

I'd pay a bit less, but I don't expect a fiver either. I know how much I charge people.

19. TunnerUK

TunnerUK Guest

Have you bought an industrial Ultrasonic cleaner and offer the cleaning of items as a service then?

20. megawatt

No I do other jobs for people. I can only clean the Fireblade carb's emulsion tubes with an ultrasonic cleaner, so I'm fooked. I don't have any money since my divorce, so I can't afford your prices. If you get plenty of business at £60/set ,good look to you, was just saying it was a bit steep for ME in my current circumstances, didn't want to turn it into an argument:)