1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

... I crashed

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Jun 24, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

well... was hoping i wouldnt ever have to make one of these threads but hear we go..

going along bexhil road towards harley shoute (the tightish bend) outside "Judges" whatever that is maybe a hotel or something i dunno.. Or even a court? or would that be to obvious haha but yeah back to the story.

Riding along round the corner about 30--35mph not to fast for that corner, baring mind the speed limit is 30mph (not just saying 30mph as its the law but thats the speed i think i was going) and hit the apex nicely start to lean her over a little and next thing i know the bike drops at the front like a ton of $hit and im sliding along on the road holding onto the bike thinking oh f#ck my baby... and it starts to spin around and the nose of the bike starts to come forward towards my head so i let go and slide along after it and watch it slam into a lamp post... Can safely say that that was probably the worst feeling ive had yet... gutted, angry, sad all in one big hit.. anyway, taking it to hastings motorcycles tomorrow to get checked over, does look "too" bad damadge wise, bent down pipes not cracked so still usable nothing serious (if im wrong please tell me) swing arm has some damadge where you put the padock stand hooks.. like thats bent up but the actual swing arm has no visable dents or marks. fairing.. lets not go there, engine case scratched, steering.. now it feels fine but the steering lock wont go on now so something isnt right there.. thats the main concern for me as if the steering buggered well... yeah its about to get even more expensive.. thats all i can think of at the moment but seriosuly guys/girls or what ever you are... crash bobins are a god send and if you dont have them, get them they saved my bike like without a doubt a lot of damadge..

heres the pictures

[​IMG]

This is where it happened, i came off just behind where i'm taking the picture, skidded quiet some distance.

[​IMG]

This is what i believe to be the cause of my little off. as its bexhil road cars are always stopping in traffic, slow moving, dropping fluids.. who knows, probably even rider error

[​IMG]
    Pretty big dent and sent the door flying off the lamp post, can see the crack in the fairing and thats where it hit the bike, it hit the door and then span round due to the force and i picked it up where you see it now..

[​IMG]

You can see on my front tire where the skid sort of started so wasnt leaning that low down when it started.

[​IMG]
    Bad photo but you can see how much that crash bobin took... warn down a hell of a lot.

[​IMG]

Engine case and few scratches.

[​IMG]

Down pipes where it hit, as you can see the dents.

But yeah Sorry for making a pretty long post, hoped that if i put as much detail in that would save questions.. im fine though leathers done they're job, i'm trying to make best out of a bad situation but this really sucks.. will post the report of what needs doing when i get it... Dont think i'm trying to pass the blame on to oil or what ever that was, i understand that there was probably a lot to do with rider error along the way..

2. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Also another anoying thing had my gopro in my pocket not recording for some reason.. would have made a sweet video ;) but its inspired me for a tattoo idea... a four leaf clover, with the word Luck above it then nine lives underneeth wraping around all the leaves then with 1 out of my 9 lives taly'ed off lol but i am lucky.. really lucky there was nothing coming the other way otherwise this could be a different story as i did slide right onto the otherside of the road, but like i said making best of a bad situation

pedrocbf likes this.
  3. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

Your ok mate thats the main thing bikes can be repaired or replaced.as long as you can learn from it your be all the better for it. I had the horrible feeling of seeing my bike sliding down the road and realised i was the blame in some way or other so learn from it and get back out as slon as poss

Roadwart likes this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Maybe you`ll never find out why the front slid away but as Lost said, YOU are OK mate.

jack_bm likes this.
  5. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah I came off absaloutly fine,you know how it is seeing your pride and joy sliding away though.. but there's always things you'd do different once things like this happen, but yeah will take more than this to put me off motorbikes

Roadwart likes this.
  6. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

yep as mentioned matey, most important thing is your ok... fairings can be fixed or replaced as can bike parts... yours generally cant ... :thumbsup:

7. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah just bad timing as had nice plans for the summer lol not going to go through insurance either, would get ride of no claims and as I'm only 19 on a gixxer getting insurance when it comes to renewal will probably be through the roof

8. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Shit happens dude, main thing is you're ok and the bike can be fixed! I wouldn't claim either as it'll kill your policy, so just watch Ebay and stuff for the parts you need. :)

9. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

werid place to crash, likely something was on the road :thumbsdown: Glad your ok though. bike will be fixable they always are :thumbsup:

You were lucky it was quite along there or a car or two might have ended up hitting you :eek:

10. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah was definitely lucky nothing was coming the other way

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

No no no...bodies grow back so it's the bike that matters. Glad you're ok though.:thumbsup:

jack_bm likes this.
  12. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

i had this many years ago, the bike was like 3 months old and i had only just had it serviced. main thing is youre ok. one of the joys nowadays is good old ebay. if you go through the insurance they could write the bike off what with the fairings etc. you have the option to replace them completely there are chinese sellers on ebay. the rest is cosmetic, it might be that your handlebar is out of line and you might have bent it hence the steering lock. dont panic too much and dont let it knock your confidence although subconsiuosly that will happen. remember to replace your crash protector as well as this might be damaged. i took mine off the other week because it had a huge crack in it. i hadnt even dropped my bike. if you live anywhere near eastbourne and you need some help then let me know i have a good tool kit and dont mind helping out. oh and fyi judges make postcards LOL

13. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah I've looked at there is plenty of parts available, I may look into get the plastics fixed instead of replacing but depends how much that costs as to if I I do it? But if I got one of the chinease ones they don't have one with the right colour tank so would need to get that sprayed to.. and I'll defiantly be getting new crash bobbins they really saved it.. not sire about the down pipes no cracks but just dent so don't think they are okay to keep on for a while... Will see what garage says.. and cheers for that I'm in Hastings so that'd be really helpful :) ohh haha couldn't have been more wrong about judges hahaha

14. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Bugger to hear that Jack! Glad you are ok and start getting your girl fixed x

15. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

i have seen on ebay there is some plastic welding glue type stuff on there. unfortunately i am at work right now and cant get on ebay but this stuff is £18.99 with £3 postage i think. if you look on youtube they show you how to use it. really just need a dremel type tool and then some paint to match the colour. if you know of any decent respray places in hasting they could make up a pot to match. when i get home i will find out the name of the glue stuff or you can youtube and then google it yourself if you can. the process itself looks pretty simple to the point i was gonna try it myself when i pick up my new project bike in a few weeks time.

16. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

to echo what others have said glad you walked away from it the bikes replaceable/repairable your not, another reason I was glad to read you opted to let go of the bike!! man vs lamppost doesn't fair so well usually. be prepared for news of a new exhaust required as the dents will alter the gas flow dramatically and in extreme cases would damage the engine over time, also the steering lock not working ???? looking at the downpipes it looks as if that was the impact point with the lamp post???? if so it could be that the post also made contact with the rear side of the front wheel or forks and you may have head stock , fork , fork yolk damage. im not trying to be the profit of doom here but always believe that by looking at worse case scenario if things are not as one first thinks then anything else is a bonus. http://www.cyclesprays.com/ did my colour change on my 1400 .....and was pretty reasonable ....ok so it was a basic change from grey to black but the finish was good and price reasonable. good luck with the repairs

17. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

i havent managed to look on ebay but the youtube clip is about plastifix. its not the same name on ebay but it is the same stuff (to a degree).
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfCzBX409s
    hope this paste works. the work pooter isnt very good. cant do a whole lot on it.

18. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your off but glad you are in one piece. Hopefully your bike will be back in one piece soon too

19. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Ditto

20. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Right, now the reason for why this is also in the mechanical section, does anyone know or know where to find out if a k6 radiator will fit my k4