1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

OBD

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Russell, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

The engine management light has just come on in my car, I am tempted to get one of the readers so I can take a look to see what the problem is myself before taking it into a garage.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Looking at ebay you can get the leads themselves pretty cheap and then download free software from the internet.

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I have one of the bluetooth OBD readers and 'Torque' software for my phone, it works very well but can be picky with some vehicles....unfortunately you don't know until you try.

Welcome to try mine out if ya passing by anytime. :thumbsup:

3. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

what make/model/year?.
    it will depend on what obd it is , canbus etc . most readers will read the main engine fault codes, but sometimes the manufacturer specific modules for control systems in the car, mostly canbus based, can cause a few odd readings with some readers... as ducky I have Bluetooth and serial one for the laptop plus a few diff programs, but I also have alittle hand held device which is handy for just plugging in and getting the codes up. then you just need to look up the codes. il see if I can dig it out in the morning , your welcome to borrow it aswell

4. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

2005 fiat panda diesel multijet...running perfectly fine apart from the engine management light being on!

You about tomorrow at all Deano, could maybe ride your way and borrow it?

5. deano81

hi Russell. am about until prob 1 at the latest as im playing a gig at a wedding in bodiam so gotta get packed up and shift all the gear over there... . il pop over the garage in a min and make sure I can find it first ... bit of a squeeze as I have 4 bikes in there at moment...
    will let you know once I find it

6. deano81

ok found it.. and also, I need to stop scan reading stuff lol.. just reread your post and noticed the "tomorrow" bit.. yes should be home all day tomorrow, desperately need to sort caliper on bike so I can get it mot'd

7. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

I think there are two types with different connectors. Even a cheap one off ebay will tell you which area has failed. My fault was a lamda sensor in the exhaust.

8. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

I think that is likely what has happened with mine, just want to have an idea before taking it to the garage...thinking of getting one of the cheap Bluetooth ones off amazon and using torque.